News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSlonis

Re:Best short par three
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »
And, staying in Phila.  how about #5 at Aronimink.  There can be some interesting putts on that green when the pin is on either the back-left shelf or right-front.

Also, I'd vote for #8 at Olympic (Lake) especially with the tree/shrub/brush clearing behind the green.

The 5th at Aronimink is much longer than 110-120.  Maybe from the ladies tees it might be that short, but it doesn't make this list from the Men's tees.

JSlonis

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 03:25:58 PM »
The 7th at Barnbougle Dunes, Tasmania (Doak / Clayton)

That's a great looking hole!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 05:10:26 PM »
And, staying in Phila.  how about #5 at Aronimink.  There can be some interesting putts on that green when the pin is on either the back-left shelf or right-front.

Also, I'd vote for #8 at Olympic (Lake) especially with the tree/shrub/brush clearing behind the green.

The 5th at Aronimink is much longer than 110-120.  Maybe from the ladies tees it might be that short, but it doesn't make this list from the Men's tees.

Oops, again.  Missed the 110 yd. limit.  You're correct... AGC #5 plays 140-145 from the member tees, and it is slightly downhill.  I don't hit it far, but that's short, no?

Michael Robin

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 05:30:55 PM »
13th at Kidnappers is a beast. Green seems large, but the wind is from behind, it's fast and firm and the back of the green falls off to lessen the actualized putting surface.

It seems that a significant amount of wind is the necessary element in making one of these holes truly great: 7th at Pebble, 7th at Barnbougle,
Postage Stamp, etc...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 05:34:24 PM by Michael Robin »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 05:38:44 PM »
Archie,

A couple come to mind.

The 13th at Pine Tree
The 12th at Augusta
The 6th at NGLA
The 8th at Maidstone
The 11th at Shinnecock
The 11th at Pacific Dunes
The 10th at Inwood.

These holes can be played from other than the back tees and they provide a more then adequate challenge from the front tees.

# 6 at NLGA is one of my favorites due to the nature of the green.  The 13th at Pine Tree due to the narrowness and angle of the green.

Unfortunately, too many 200-230 yard par 3's seem to be the norm with modern day designs.

Gene Greco

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 05:42:37 PM »
12th at Laurel Links
8th at The Maidstone
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Gene Greco

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »
7th at Barnbougle looks amazing

Is this Tom Doak's best golf course?????
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2006, 05:47:52 PM »
#13 at Pawleys Plantation is a lot of fun when the wind is blowing and the tees are forward.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2006, 08:07:17 PM »
17th at Sucession in Beufort, SC.

Lawrence

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2006, 08:12:06 PM »
7th at Barnbougle looks amazing

Is this Tom Doak's best golf course?????

Gene, it might be, but dont forget its a collaborative effort between Tom Doak and Mike Clayton.

mike_malone

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 08:25:21 PM »
  Jamie mentioned #4 at Gulph Mills. Best in Philly!

Compared to #8 Mannies , #9 Whitemarsh, #13 Merion ,  #7 Merion W.  the short uphill at Lulu ,I just think this hole stands out. The slope on the center left of that green just makes placement so important. For me all the other holes I just try to hit it into the center of the green. That slope makes me try to hit to a section of the green based on the pin placement.

Even Paxon Hollow's #17 demands more of me because it is a 1/2 shot.

NGLA 's short has a similar dilemma.
AKA Mayday

Kyle Harris

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2006, 08:39:57 PM »
Short uphill at Lulu is #4, a quarry hole.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2006, 08:44:31 PM »
the 11th at The Addington is 135 from the back tees, from 110 from the "guest" tees. You can find pictures on Ran's description.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2006, 05:38:36 AM »
Really the best short par 3 in the world is the 2nd shot on the 2nd hole at Dornoch.

5-20 yds.....90% Nerve, 10% Finesse!! ;)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2006, 06:11:42 AM »
How about the 7th at Newcastle Golf Club in NSW Australia? I think Tom doak rated it as one of the best 18 holes outside of the US & Britain

Might be a little long though -- an 8 or 9 iron perhaps?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2006, 06:36:44 AM »
How about the 7th at Newcastle Golf Club in NSW Australia? I think Tom doak rated it as one of the best 18 holes outside of the US & Britain

Might be a little long though -- an 8 or 9 iron perhaps?

Matt,

It's a little long, as it plays 148m, which is about 163y.

archie_struthers

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2006, 12:11:45 PM »

Given the amount of replies, and some enthusiastic ones at that, I'd have to say the short par three is pretty well received by the brethren. Not many opined on same relative to architecture, rather they listed favorites, so I'll take a stab at it.

Most players think that they can putt, regardless of their handicap. They also think they can hit a green from short range.  They know they can't hit wedges to 485 yard par fours or reach fives in two, but the short shots they think they can handle. Thus the inclusion of  a shorty might be really good.

The good player anticipates that he can hit this green or maybe even stiff on, so they anticpate good things happening. if they miss the green their is some real pressure not to make a bogey.

The scratch or tour player knows the half shot is one of the toughest shots in golf. Throw in some wind or nasty bunkering and you just might have something special with these little devils.

The obvious downside to building them is the maintenance, both on the tees and the green.

Jason Topp

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2006, 12:44:55 PM »
I think the best short par three I have played is the 11th at Wildhorse.  It is unique in that it is a short hole with a huge green that is very demanding and requires significant thought, rather than an all or nothing demand.

mark chalfant

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2006, 02:14:39 PM »
#3  at White Bear Yacht (Ross)  a fun shot over a deep
ravine to a somewhat narrow green. This Minnesota charmer
has trouble both long and left

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2006, 02:18:03 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble gang, but the Postage Stamp at Royal Troon is in the 120+ yard range...or I too would have chosen it for greatest all-time!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Scott Cannon

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »
8th at Maidstone. The great pics dont do this hole justice.

TEPaul

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2006, 02:34:20 PM »
Although very few have even seen it yet and less have played it I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a very short par 3 we will be hearing a lot about for excitement, interest and challenge will be Sebonack's #12. The little thing just looks to me like it's gonna turn plenty of golfers into head-cases when they get to it. It looks like it relies on a green that narrows as it goes back with a really good left side diagonal to it. And it looks like it's in a place on the course and in a particular situation where wind could could make it extra hard to hit.

Scott Cannon:

The 8th at Maidstone is between 155-160 from the back. If you want a great little short par 3 at Maidstone that's shorter than #8 it's #14, one of the most natural looking holes you'll ever see.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 02:38:02 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2006, 02:39:24 PM »
The 7th at Barnbougle (the photo) is just gorgeous looking in every way imaginable.

Scott Cannon

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »
Although very few have even seen it yet and less have played it I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a very short par 3 we will be hearing a lot about for excitement, interest and challenge will be Sebonack's #12. The little thing just looks to me like it's gonna turn plenty of golfers into head-cases when they get to it. It looks like it relies on a green that narrows as it goes back with a really good left side diagonal to it. And it looks like it's in a place on the course and in a particular situation where wind could could make it extra hard to hit.

Where is Sebonack's

Sean Leary

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2006, 04:04:22 PM »
How long is 16 at Jasper?  May not be under 110, but is very short, and one helluva par 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back