News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re:Your Year in Review 2005
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 03:53:21 PM »
oh Jesus, I made another faux pas Joe!! :-[ :-[  and this one is about my wife! :-[ :-[

and it was not only a birdie, she hit it to within 1 foot!!

I think I shall go crawl into the nearest hole now....

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 03:55:50 PM »
Top 10 for me in 2005
* = newly played in 05

1.  Essex County (MA)
2.  Brae Burn (MA)*
3.  Barona Creek (CA)*
4.  Tobacco Rd. (NC)*
5.  Pine Needles (NC)
6.  Palos Verdes GC (CA)*
7.  CC of Greenfield (MA)*
8.  Hope Valley CC (NC)*
9.  Forest Creek North (NC)* - new course
10.Shennecossett (CT)*
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Hayes

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 03:56:30 PM »
I only played two new courses this year, Bandon Trail and The Palmer/Sneay at Suncadia.  Trail was amazing and I really was impressed with suncandia ( I did walk the doak course while there)...

I made my first hole in one (30 years of golf) during an outing that cost me $250... >:(

Best of all, was learning to disconect from the result of a shot and scaling back to 9 clubs...

'06 looks to be a banner year ;D
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Paul Payne

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 04:31:50 PM »
Had a great year for golf but I honestly could have played more. Hmmm.... always next year.

Here are the favorites I played for the first time;

Sand Hills
Merion
Greywalls
Royal St. Kitts - Really fun surprise
Equinox (VT)

Some old favorites I played again;

Harvester (IA) - great sleeper by Kieth Foster
Palmetto
Aiken CC - Really fun old scool, member designed ca. 1912
Huntsville CC (PA)
Turnberry (Alisa)
Cuscowilla

Looking forward to a great 2006. Just haven't decided where to go yet.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 04:55:42 PM »
The golfing year was great for me, as I got to play so many great courses that were new for me. The highlights included, in chronological order:
1) Playing some golf with my father in the Seaside, FL area after a long layoff during the winter, lots of fun.

2) Playing the brand-new Mill Creek Golf Club in Rochester, NY area.  The Paul Albanese design was quite unique for me, with lots of options off the tee, even for a short hitter, and a great, windswept setting.

3) Getting to see the newly-restored Country Club of Rochester, with the great work done by Gil Hanse.  It was so wonderful to see things get done right, especially with the unfortunate putzing around that has been occuring at Oak Hill.  The new bunkering was great at CCR, with flat, ugly RTJ bunkers removed to expose great ground contours on a low-profile sight, and tree removal opened up playing corridors for strategy.

4) Getting to see hidden gems Monroe (Ross) and Dartmouth College's Course (Pritchard w/ the renovation).  Monroe is considering restoring some more Ross to their already-fun golf course.  Dartmouth was an unexpected surprised, with lots of quirky features over wild New Hampshire topography.  It was just loads of fun.  It would be great for a new home course if I can get accepted there in one year's time :)

5) THE golfing highlight of the year was playing The Country Club in Brookline, MA.  The history of the course is nothing compared to how fun, quirky, and great this course is.  The course ranges to dead-flat (1 and 18) to rocky (3,5,7,11,15) to treed parkland (4,12,13,16,17) to quarry-infested (10 and 14) to wide-open and linksy (2,3,6,8,9).  Totally an awesome experience, topped off with the fact that we spent the night in the clubhouse's guest rooms.

6) My birthday present was driving to Toronto to play St. George's, Stanley Thompson's brilliant design.  The bunkering was unparalleled as far as any course I've played, and the setting was a unique urban parkland, something that is rarely sought out in modern architecture.

7)  Playing Oak Hill East deep into the fall, which allowed me to experience the course in a form that I had yet to see, as the course is usually closed in early-mid October.  The autumnal weather both enhanced and nullified different facets of the course.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:56:05 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 05:03:40 PM »
saw my first ace,  by the aforementioned Ace McBride...a great moment even though one of my playing partners stepped on my sunglasses as we were jumping around...(I still love ya, man!)

I plead temporary insanity, brought on by witnessing what I said then and still maintain was the single greatest shot I have witnessed in 35+ years of golf.

Interesting Brad Klein has never even seen an ace... I think I must be the aceless good luck charm for others - I've witnessed at least a dozen.

And all I can say is you guys play a lot of great golf courses.  But also reading all this just confirms what I've known for several years:  that I want to BE Jim Franklin.

;D

On a sadder note, it pains me to read all the places my friend John Bernhardt was, some in common with me, some close to me, and I never saw him once.  My bad.  That shall be rectified in 2006 come hell or high water.  Horrible pun not intended.

TH
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 05:05:10 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 05:15:36 PM »
Joined GCA, so far played with one poster and have a tee time to meet two more before year is out.  Played Woodhall Spa for the first time and it has more ‘personality’ than any course I’ve played – been in my thoughts a lot since.

In June I posted about attending the qualifier for the US Open at Walton Heath, I went with my golfing friend Paul.  So then we watched the final round “live from Pinehurst” at his clubhouse. As Campbell started to dominate all others drift away and there are just 3 of us left.  The other guy who we didn't really know got up for "a comfort break" and the TV announcer says "of course Michael Campbell qualified for the finals of this tournament and our cameras were there." Then they cut to the suit from the USGA handing Campbell a folder and congratulating him on qualifying. In the middle of the picture are Paul and I staring back at ourselves!  Right on que the guy returns and as they cut back to the live action asks "Did I miss anything?"  "No not really, you had to be there".
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 05:43:57 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 05:32:47 PM »
My East Coast USA visit has to be one of the most spectacular of my life:  National Golf Links (to stay there and walk the course, not play), Yale, The Creek, Ridgewood, Rolling Green, Gulph Mills, Merion (to watch US Amateur), Four Streams, Winged Foot (both courses) - what an experience, so many different architects.  Sadly I had to turn down Seawane, to which I was so generously invited, but the logistics of my last day schedule prevented it after it was all arranged.  What was so wonderful was that in each case I was playing with a big-time GCA poster who really knew what each course was about - so many really instructive analyses.

Of the UK courses I played (far too few) I think that a revisit to Elie the day after the Open finished at St A's was perhaps the high spot, memorable particularly for the outrageous drive of my son at the 18th.  He was attempting to drive the green (359 yards, slightly uphill) and pulled it slightly.  The ball ricocheted off the clubhouse walls (passing between a party of visitors queueing up to tee off on the 1st) and onto the green.  My host, a past club secretary and captain, said that if the ball had not hit the clubhouse it would have gone 50 yards past the green and (well) out-of-bounds.  

I'm getting pretty pathetic and have a most inelegant, weak and feeble swing.  To hit the ball much past 200 yards is, today, something of an achievement, but on the 12th at Royal Troon I managed a drive of 345 yards (a distance I have never otherwise begun to threaten), about 190 yards of it in the air, the rest roll in high summer with a following wind, lovely dry fairways, the perfect bounce forward from a downslope on landing, and utter luck with the direction.  It was a good moment.  Otherwise, mark me down as a geriatric.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2005, 06:29:25 PM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=20378;start=msg364235#msg364235

Seeing as I posted my highlights earlier I decided to be lazy and copy the thread...I was rather long-winded

Tom Dunne

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2005, 08:27:36 PM »
I'm just back from Kapalua myself, and have to agree with Jerry...I thought the Plantation was even more excellent than it looks on TV.

That said, my biggest highlights of the year were making my maiden journey to Bandon; seeing Haagsche, the Kennemer, Eindhoven and Utrecht de Pan ('nuff thanks and respect to GCAer Frank Pont for being a terrific guide); and paying a visit to the wonderful Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Club.

I had a great year.... :)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2005, 08:44:58 PM »
Attending the Open at St. Andrews. Spending Friday behind the Road Hole green and watching Nicklaus cross the bridge and walk up 18 was magical.

Chris Moore

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2005, 09:30:26 PM »
Highlight of the year was definitely playing my home course in New Orleans again on December 10 after seeing aerial photographs showing 2-4 feet of water standing on the course for several days.  Wasn't sure if the old girl would make it, but she did. There's no place like home.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2005, 11:12:50 PM »
My blessing this year..........to be 'stuck' in the world of Bandon Dunes.   Didn't travel much and played golf only one other time away from this incredible resort.

So I was able to help, in a small way, in the construction of Bandon Trails, and witness it's opening.  I was able to help expand the Practice Center here and grow-in the mysterious Wee Dunes practice area.  I was able to play golf at these three glorious golf courses, observe men like Bill Coore and David Kidd, work with capable and integrity-filled men like Troy Russell, Jeff Sutherland, Ken Nice, Eric Johnson (the world's great cribbage player) and others here, and had the considerable pleasure of working with the incredible piece of God's green earth called Bandon Dunes, and help in some small way to enhance it's God given beauty, but most of all.............

........was able to enjoy meeting, serving, watching so many that came here.

A very good golf year indeed.

All the best, and Thanks.

Tom

the pres

John Kirk

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2005, 11:29:15 PM »
I have a charmed golfing life these days, and I am looking forward to repeating the success of 2005 trips during the coming year.  Great days like:

Bill Gayne and I playing 36 holes in Manakin-Sabot, VA.

Three glorious summer days in Kingsley and Frankfort, MI with John VanderBorght, Ralph Livingston, and Larry Keltto.

Fall golf in Palm Desert, CA with Tom Naccarato and David Moriarty.  Tom Doak and his son joined us for a few holes Sunday.  Later that day, I absolutely caught fire with the putter.

I also enjoyed meeting some of the guys at the Hidden Creek get together.  I played with Alex Chehansky and Scott Wood, who came closer to flying the ball into a hole (#1) for eagle than I've ever witnessed.  About a half inch short.

I made my second hole-in-one this year, a 160 yarder into a crosswind.  Probably the greatest shot I've ever hit.  I had a great year golfing.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2005, 11:42:38 PM »
Well, mine will be a little different, and if you allow me to review about the last 54 weeks, had far more ups than downs

December 04 -

Pleased to learn that my Quarry won Best New in GD and Project of the year from Crittenden.  I had hopes for that, and was more pleasantly surprised that my Indian Creek redo placed 7th in the affordable category.

Jan 05

Started work on Newton, KS, Sand Creek Station in January.  Side bonus - major rail lines border many holes, so I can pretend I am at Troon, and lay holes out along the cinders......Also, I love to watch trains , so I get paid for while pursuing my hobby.....

Attend a native american conference in CA.  Didn't get any new business directly, but did learn from one native that "vegetarian" is an old Indian word for "Lousy hunter."

Feb 05-

A nearly dead in the water project revives under new owners in Lone Oak, TX.  Originally to be a Seth Raynor inspiration course, the new owner was a little leary. Now, just a more generic "early American style" but it does have a biaritz green.  Owner is new to golf, so we start with four holes, but are now finishing up.  In a neat twist, after proposing several layouts to this developer, he insists on one with only one road crossing from CH to back nine.

March 05 -

Sign a Master Plan Agreement for historic Stevens Park Golf Course in Dallas.  Initial phase is unique in that we consider expanding the 107 acre golf course as part of an urban renewal project.  Key element was lowest land prices surrounding the golf course and highest crime rates.  Not surprisingly, these were the same areas.  We had to debate the "risk-reward" of scouting out nearby areas for golf, ultimately playing safe by avoiding survey of stream where drug addicts live.

However, by June, the community votes to keep course in its original corridors and we push forward with a total redesign for all at once construction, probably next year.

April 05 -

Not much in the way of seeing or playing new courses, but get a thrill watching my son play high school golf. At one point, he wins four and ties for first (then loses in playoff) in two in a string of six straight local events.

On the national scene, he gets three top ten finishes in AJGA tourneys, and finishes 5th in the Bryon Nelson Jr. open to the top 50 jr. players in Texas.

May 05

I toured the Faldo Cottonwood Hills and reaquainted with Prairie Dunes while working in Newton.  While visiting mother in Toledo, Ohio, get to view  or play a few courses, mainly Art Hills, since my cousin whoi I play with there is a fan of his.  

Go by and photograph house where Tillie died.  Risk-Reward similar to that of Stevens Park described above.

June 05

Press Day at Giants Ridge and Quarry give me a few nice days off to play golf and schmooze.  Sign a contract for preliminary land planning and golf design on yet another MN project, and get asked to look at another in a yet a different part of the state.

Sign contract for a nine hole course in Las Vegas, New Mexico

July 05 -

Sign a new contract for a course within a housing development in far north Dallas. Actually, I had signed this agreement the year before, but the original land deal in another part of town fell through and we updated the contract for the new, bigger site.

August 05 -

Again, not many new courses, but I do attend PGA for my first chance to view Baltusrol.  Like many, I think its not as good a venue as other NY area courses.

The day before the trip, wife files long expected divorce papers.  The travel in this biz gets a lot of us.

Grass first few holes at Lone Oak.

September 05

Learn that my Lake Jackson course finishes second in Crittendens Project of the year category.  Later, I play in a press day celebrating one year anniversary, and have a good time, despite never sniffing a prize.

October 05

Good News: Company turns first profit in several quarters.
Bad News: Profit amounts to several quarters.....

Accept bids on New Mexico Project and complete grassing in Newton.

November 05

Cowboys wins Avid Golfer Best Course in DFW for 5th straight year.  Westridge and others also place well in affordable category.

Sign Master Plan Contract for course in Wichita Falls, TX.  

Work Begins on second phase of Lone Oak, after unbelievable real estate sales allows them to shake loose more money.  I like to think I convinced the novice owners  that a 4 hole course wouldn't draw flies.......nah!

December 05 -

Learn that Fortune Bay course gives me back to back Golf Digest winners., which ends year on a high note.

Helping Andrew sort through a few college scholarship offers is fun!

Wish Merry Generic Holiday to all, with wishes for a prosperous and golf filled 2006!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2005, 11:44:02 PM »
Jeff,

When were you inducted into the BBGE...was that last year..

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2005, 11:46:31 PM »
Spending 2 days at the US Am at Merion  transfixed by the course.

Playing highlights were: Hidden Creek, Galloway, Desert Forest, the newly restored Wigwam Gold,Bethpage Red, Wolf Creek, Rolling Green and Torresdale-Frankford.

Next year: Who knows? Relocation is possible. If I do relocate, I'd like to play Atlantic City, Applebrook , Bethpage Black and those somewhat famous courses on the east end of Long Island before I go west.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2005, 12:15:02 AM »
Jeff,

When were you inducted into the BBGE...was that last year..

No, John, your brother presented me the commemorative golf bag tag at the Hilton Head ASGCA meeting.  This year the meeting was at Pebble Beach, one of my rare ASGCA meeting misses......How could I leave that off my highlight list?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2005, 01:01:00 AM »
My year wasn't that exciting in terms of great courses with a national reputation, but I'm not going to complain either. For the past few years, I've been tracking how many different courses I've played, where they are, architect, etc. For 2005, I'm presently at 35 different courses and I'll add at least one next week in Phoenix. That's an improvement over 34 in '04, 29 in '03 and 27 in '02.

Highlights:
-- Interlachen CC
-- the renovated Minikahda Club
-- Playing Woodhill (Ross) and Rochester GCC (Tillinghast) on consecutive days in September

Best values and great fun:
-- Gateway National (Keith Foster across the river from St. Louis)
-- Big Fish (Hayward, Wis.)
-- Golden Eagle (tremendendously fun course north of Brainerd, MN)

Saw one hole-in-one this year. Was covering the Champions Tour event here and saw Tom Purtzer knock one in on No. 8 at TPC Twin Cities.

Good guy of the year: Jason Gore. Covered his victory at the Nationwide Tour event here (his second Nationwide win of the year). He's hard to not like.

My game: Nothing special. Didn't get much better. Didn't make the cut at the state Mid-Am. Maybe I should practice.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2005, 01:48:19 AM »
Looking back, I can hardly believe what I experienced- definitely one of my greatest years in my golfing life:

In Feb. went to Florida for the first time and got to play Seminole- what a thrill.  Also enjoyed World Woods, Black Diamond- Quarry, Old Memorial, Trump, and World Golf Village.
   May-Vegas to play Cascata and Lake Las Vegas.
   July-  Denver to play Cherry Hills, Sanctuary, and Pradera-
      then St. Louis-  Bellerive and St. Louis CC
   August-  Minneapolis -  Minikahda, Interlachen, Hazeltine

Sept.-  Indiana- Wolf Run (where I met Smyers), Victoria
              Chicago-  5 Open courses ( Skokie, Glen View,  
                  North Shore, Midlothian, Onwentsia), Black Sheep
                  Rich Harvest- met Jerry Rich and had a personal
                     tour of his vast car collection.
   Oct. -  Cleveland-  Canterbery, Kirtland
             Toledo-   Inverness
             Boston-  Essex, Worcester, Old Sandwich, Boston
               Golf Club, and then Yale.
   Other highlights-  
             1.  My 4th hole in one.
             2.  My lowest score on a U.S. Open course- 72 at
                   Canterbury ( of course the greens were only
                     running about 9-10)
             3.  Meeting and playing golf with Tillinghast Assoc.
                     president Ken Stofer who is amazing in his
                     80's.
             4.  Making more friends on GCA.  

Tim Bert

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2005, 02:58:34 AM »
I enjoyed 2005 golf and I'm looking forward to 2006 as well.

My 2005 highlights (in order of preference)

Pacific Dunes
Bandon Dunes
Banff Springs
Bandon Trails
We-Ko-Pa
Newport National
Bulle Rock
Riverside CC

That was all in 4 months (May - August.)  The rest of the golf year was pretty bland, but that stretch more than made up for it!

ForkaB

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2005, 04:48:13 AM »
Interesting year.  On first reflection I thought I hadn't played much golf, but adding it up it was probably 50-60 rounds, on 15-20 courses, with 1/2 of each of those being competitive rounds.  If I hadn't folded like a cheap suit two days in a row, I could have had two great (for me) rounds in the Carnegie Shield at Dornoch, but c'est la vie, wait 'til next year, etc. ad nauseum.....  Only played 5 new courses this year, two of which deserve to be highlighted:  Littlestone and Dunfermline (Pitferrane).  The first is a superb links, with a subtle gently rolling Muirfieldy feel to much of it, but then with some really dramatic holes near the finish.  The club is world class too, and proved to be hosts nonpareil for the 2005 GCA Budapest Cup. The second is an old club with a relatively new (1946) course which is full of character and challenge.  Great variety of holes and changes in terrain.  A hidden gem.

Also played a few old friends after some years of hiatus.  Of note in this group were:

The Old Course
Crail
Royal Cinque Ports (Deal)
Olympic (Ocean)
St. Jean de Monts

Only the last one disapointed, but mostly through (lack of) conditioning.  Still a great routing, over superb links land, that could be made into a really good golf course if someone put the time and effort into it.  Of course, being in France, the food in the clubhouse blows away anything I have ever eaten at golf clubs in Scotland, England, Ireland or the USA........

Other than that, the major golf-related event for me was getting a call out of the blue in March from a guy in Yorkshire who had read my "My Home Course" essay on this site and asked me if I wanted to adapt and expand it into book form.  I said yes, and "Experience Royal Dornoch" was published 3 months later.  The next book of the series "Experience the Old Course" is at the final proof stage, and 2006 might see another 10-12 books on similarly interesting courses published or well along the way.  It could be a very good year..... :)

I also had the privilege of playing golf or just having a blether with at least 10 GCA stalwarts, in the UK and USA.  I don't want to list them all, because I'll probably have a senior moment and forget somebody or somebodies, and they were all precious moments, in their own ways.

Thanks, Ran.

T_MacWood

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2005, 07:19:59 AM »
Rich
In the past you had given the impression you were not a big fan of the Old Course....what changed?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 07:21:31 AM by Tom MacWood »

ForkaB

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2005, 07:56:57 AM »
Four possible answers, Tom:

1.  I might have learned something
2.  Maybe I haven't significantly changed my mind about the Old Course.
3.  Maybe you (and others) just didn't properly understand or appreciate my previous postings about the Old Course.
4.  All of the above.

Buy the book, read it closely, and find out!

Rich

T_MacWood

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2005, 08:06:47 AM »
Rich
I did not see any choice having to do with your contrarian tendencies...I suspect that tendency often effects the positions you take, so they should probably be judged in that light. I'll be sure to read the book, I'm certain there will be plenty of interesting info on TOC....and maybe some of your past criticisms, we shall see.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 08:07:22 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back