News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re:What would you serve?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 02:28:39 PM »
Actually Wayne, that is pretty much going to be the meal Christmas Eve... You are welcome, but it is a pretty good bet you can leave your clubs at home.  We could snow shoe the course however, as per the taking a walk after dinner part! ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

wsmorrison

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 02:37:20 PM »
RJ,

I think the trip sounds better in the spring or summer.  Have a great Christmas!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 02:47:53 PM »
Funny, I asked a bunch of golf course architects that question during an interview...here are the responses:

Jay Flemma (not an architect:) - Belgian Lambic (Raspberry), mussels for an appetizer, steak au poivre and baked alaska

Dan Maples:  NC BBQ, hush puppies, red slaw and strawberry shortcake.

Tom Doak:  "I grew up on lobster in New England, and that's always been my idea of a special meal."

Jim Engh:  North Dakota Prime beef

Brian Silva:  "New England Clambake, what else?"

I'll have to dig out Mike Strantz and Baxter Span's answers tonight when I get home.

Jay

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 02:51:18 PM »
Wayne, I'm googling for calamari and so far I got the following in Voorhees...
Laceno, Catelli, or Spizzio ristoranti.  Com'on Jamie, give it up, which place is your cumpadi's?  Isn't Slonis Greek or Slovak?  We could always spit roast a lamb. ooopah! ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 03:01:33 PM »
I'd go Duck-wild on them:

1) Pan seared foie gras with blueberry-mango compote over a paper thin homemade potatoe crisp;

2) Organic duck confit with seared breast of duck over wild mushroom risotto drizzled with sage-butter sauce.

Considering I'm ranked about 4,0271,899 in the world I don't see my even playing in the Masters possible, never mind winning . . . .  ;D ;D  

Gene Greco

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2005, 03:06:42 PM »
Geez, hard to top Jamie Slonis' menu! Count me in when you put on the green jacket.  

If I ever lose this godforsaken hook and put on the green jacket myself I'd fly Tom in off of Ben's Porch to cook up the best burgers in the world. Cold Miller Genuine Draft for Bogey and I and a few cases of Screaming Eagle for everyone else.

Hmmm.....think the wine would do the burgers justice?
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Gene Greco

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 03:08:11 PM »
Jason:

Love duck - great choice. :)
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

JSlonis

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 03:09:18 PM »
Jamie,

Come on, you've got to tell the name of this restaurant.  I just had lunch with Tommy Paul and even still I'm salivating over the menu you just described.  Man that sounds good.  If you ever win the Masters, sneak me out a tidbit or two out the side door, will you?  

By the way, in my cellar I have a case of each of '97 through 2001 Ceparello.  Except I can't find the 1999.  Did I miss that somehow?  Anyway...let's get together for a vertical tasting.  They are one of my all-time favorite producers though I've never had the Chardonnay from Isole e Olena, I gather you like it.  Have you ever had their Cabernet?  Hmmm...good!

RJ,

Is it OK if I come over for dinner sometime?  Sounds awesome.  We'll play Lawsonia links and I'll open the bottles while you do the cooking.

Wayne,

The retaurant is called  Laceno Italian Grill.  It is my all time favorite.  We'll have to get together sometime...you're in for a treat.

The Isole e Olena Chardonnay is just a great white wine.  Probably my favorite Italian white.  It is not at all like a California Chardonnay, it has more of a "lemony citrus" note to it.

Send me an email with your contact info.  My Dad and I have a great friend, Luca Mazotti, originally from Italy who now lives in the Philly area.  About 5 years ago, Luca started his own Wine Importing business.  He specializes in mostly small production wineries throughout Italy.  Primarily, Piedmont & Tuscany.  He currently carries about 105 different wines. Luca is without a doubt one of the most educated "Wine Guys" you'll ever meet...I call him the "Rainman" of wine.  His current warehouse is in Manayunk, although he'll be moving to a new site near the airport.  Every now and then, he'll put on a private wine tasting when he gets some new wines in...if you're into that type of thing, I'd be happy to have you join us some time.  

RJ Daley,

The last name "Slonis" is Lithuanian, but another part of my family is Italian.  Being great friends with Luca and also Liuigi, the owner of Laceno...I'm now an officially adopted Italian. ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:14:28 PM by JSlonis »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2005, 03:19:10 PM »
but another part of my family is Italian.

Well Jamie, at least we got that going for us... ;)

RJ Daley
aka
Da Mayor
or Da ol' grey mare

wsmorrison

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 03:28:10 PM »
Jamie,

Thanks for the restaurant tip.  I would like to get together with you for a trip to the wine importer.  Did Luca used to work for Greg Moore at Moore Brothers and before that Le Bec Fin?  Greg and his staff, especially Frank for Italian wines, has been my consigliari (is that the right term?).  I'll send you my contact info to your email.  I'll save some Ceparello for a vertical tasting.  That taste-bud challenged Tom Paul can come too.  
Merry Christmas!
Wayne

Ted Kramer

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 03:37:44 PM »
Jamie,

Come on, you've got to tell the name of this restaurant.  I just had lunch with Tommy Paul and even still I'm salivating over the menu you just described.  Man that sounds good.  If you ever win the Masters, sneak me out a tidbit or two out the side door, will you?  

By the way, in my cellar I have a case of each of '97 through 2001 Ceparello.  Except I can't find the 1999.  Did I miss that somehow?  Anyway...let's get together for a vertical tasting.  They are one of my all-time favorite producers though I've never had the Chardonnay from Isole e Olena, I gather you like it.  Have you ever had their Cabernet?  Hmmm...good!

RJ,

Is it OK if I come over for dinner sometime?  Sounds awesome.  We'll play Lawsonia links and I'll open the bottles while you do the cooking.

The 2003  Isole e Olena, Chianti Classico is on sale at Moore Brothers in Pensauken NJ. It is an outstanding and relatively affordable wine.

-Ted
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:38:10 PM by Ted Kramer »

JSlonis

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2005, 03:42:19 PM »
Ted,

Thanks...it's already in the cellar. ;D  You're right on...the Chianti Classico is a fantastic wine at that price point.

***If any of the local Philly guys are interested in a private wine tasting with my buddy Luca, please email me.  If we get enough interest, I can surely put together a winter outing to visit his warehouse.***

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:45:25 PM by JSlonis »

wsmorrison

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2005, 03:43:33 PM »
Agreed, Ted.  Everything they make is awesome, the Chianti is no exception.  Too bad that some of the weaker Californian vineyards spoiled the Chianti image in the US.  The Ceparellos and the Cabernets by Isole e Olena are especially good.  Did you see the Isole e Olena Chardonnay there?  I'll have to try some.

A famous baseball pitcher started a vineyard in Callistoga and he's promised me I can be on the list of subscribers.  It should be interesting.  He really knows his wines...let's hope he can make some good stuff.  It isn't Steve Carlton by the way...also an acknowledged wine buff.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2005, 03:55:17 PM »
Jason:

Love duck - great choice. :)

Gene:

I forgot to mention although you would have known it's got to be Long Island duck! ;D

Ted Kramer

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2005, 04:03:27 PM »
Agreed, Ted.  Everything they make is awesome, the Chianti is no exception.  Too bad that some of the weaker Californian vineyards spoiled the Chianti image in the US.  The Ceparellos and the Cabernets by Isole e Olena are especially good.  Did you see the Isole e Olena Chardonnay there?  I'll have to try some.

A famous baseball pitcher started a vineyard in Callistoga and he's promised me I can be on the list of subscribers.  It should be interesting.  He really knows his wines...let's hope he can make some good stuff.  It isn't Steve Carlton by the way...also an acknowledged wine buff.

I didn't notice a Chard, but I think I'll be back in the store tomorrow and I'll ask them if they carry it. . .

-Ted

wsmorrison

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 04:09:13 PM »
Since I know you have great taste in Scotch (thanks!) you do know that the Moore Bros. Delaware store carries specialty scotch and other liquors.  I think its a state law that they have to carry at least one of every type of major liquor variety.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 04:09:28 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Ted Kramer

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2005, 04:13:21 PM »
Since I know you have great taste in Scotch (thanks!) you do know that the Moore Bros. Delaware store carries specialty scotch and other liquors.  I think its a state law that they have to carry at least one of every type of major liquor variety.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
I just called Moored Bros. and they do carry the 2003 Chard.
I will be at the store at some point within the next few days and I'd be happy to pick up a bottle or case for you if your are interested.

They also have the 2001 Ceparello in stock at what I would consider a very reasonable price.

Send me a quick IM if I can help.

-Ted

Craig Disher

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2005, 04:22:52 PM »
Wayne,
We may not have a wealth of quality gcs here but we've got wine stores. I just checked on your 1999 Cep and it's available here.

George Pazin

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2005, 05:15:11 PM »
It's not my favorite, but I'd probably have to go with something like pierogies and halupki (stuffed cabbage).

As long as we're on the topic of food, I have a theory that your favorite pizza is the pizza joint you grew up on. Hold true for anyone else?

I haven't read Revelations, but me winning The Masters would definitely have to be one of the signs of the apocalypse.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 05:15:40 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2005, 05:26:18 PM »

As long as we're on the topic of food, I have a theory that your favorite pizza is the pizza joint you grew up on. Hold true for anyone else?

No doubt . . . for me it was Pizza Snack in the Gardiner Manor Mall, Bay Shore NY, now defunct.  It was the best Sicilian pie in the WORLD and I've been searching for it in vain ever since.

wsmorrison

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2005, 05:28:19 PM »
Craig,

What's the price?  I may need you to do a little shopping for Christmas!

George,

Agreed on pizza of youth resonating into fatter adulthood.  I loved Pudge's Pizza and cheesesteaks.  They don't do pies anymore  :'( but their cheesesteaks are still pretty good.  Pudge is probably sitting pretty in Florida somewhere.

Jason,

The best Sicilian pie I ever had was in Naples, Italy.  They made Sicilian and thin crust down the street from my step-sister (she was in medical school).  Awesome!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 05:29:46 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2005, 05:34:22 PM »
I'd say that the pizza of youth staying the best into adulthood is true for east coasters, but only for west coasters who haven't experienced New York or other fine east coast pizza.

I can point to California pizza of my youth that was damn good, but walking down the street in Manhattan last year, for the hell of it I got in line at a "by the slice" little hole in the wall, and to say it was worth the wait is the understatement of the year.  The pizza made for a truly religious experience.  And the funny thing is for native New Yorkers, I sincerely doubt this place was any big deal.  There was a long line though.  And no, I don't recall the name and as for exactly where I was, hell I'm a country rube when it comes to Manhattan.  I do know it was on that island, not that far from Broadway.

JBergan

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2005, 05:34:57 PM »
It's getting close to lunch time and my stomach is rumbling.  I would bring my friend and owner of my favorite Italian restaurant located in Voorhees, NJ.

We would serve the following:

Mixed greens salad w/ Extra Virgin Olive Oil/Balsamic dressing.

An appetizer medley of:

Misto Funghi- Mix of sauteed wild mushrooms, a touch of garlic, wine & fresh tomatoes.

Sauteed broccoli rabe w/ Italian sausage, garlic and red pepper.

Fried or Grilled Calamari, w/ Spicy marinara sauce.

A small pasta course(Intermezzo):

Gnocchi served w/ a pesto cream sauce.

Main Entree:

Pan Seared Dover Sole or Branzino, served with either an olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice mix...or...w/ Livornese sauce, which is light tomato sauce w/ black olives, and capers.

OR

Grilled Sirloin Steak, topped w/ Crabmeat, in a Barolo Wine, Porcini Mushroom sauce.

Dessert:

Home-made Tiramisu
Expresso/Cappuccino

Wines:

All from Italy...

2001- Isole e Olena- Chardonnay, Tuscany

1997- Isole e Olena- Cepparello, Sangiovese, Tuscany

2000- Le Strette- Barolo, Piedmont

Dessert wine:

1991 Romeo- Vin Santo

ENJOY!!  Ciao... ;D

Sounds like Laceno, with a pit stop at Moore brothers.

(it would help if I read the entire thread before posting  ;D)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 05:37:47 PM by JBergan »

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2005, 05:42:10 PM »
And no, I don't recall the name and as for exactly where I was, hell I'm a country rube when it comes to Manhattan.  I do know it was on that island, not that far from Broadway.

At least you narrowed it down to a couple hundred places. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2005, 05:48:18 PM »
Appetizer-

Chilled Seafood sampler (Clams, oysters, mussels, shrimp, scallops served on a bed of ice, with appropriate sauces and lemon garnishes)

Salad-

New Jersey Tomato and Onion salad

Main Course-

Tenderloin of beef, pepper crust.
Maine Lobster tail

Merlot demi-glace, drawn butter

Family style sides to include steamed broccoli, grilled asparagus, corn, sauteed mushrooms and onions, redskin mashed potatoes.  

Dessert-

Black Forest Cake, German Chocolate Cake, vanilla ice cream

Coffee and tea service

Bass Ale, Guinness Stout draft beer
Macallan 18 y.o. whisky

Lighting of tobacco to follow meal, and post-dinner drinks
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back