News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Re:Bandon Trails 14th Hole
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 04:09:54 PM »
  (Here's a blurb stolen (I'm going to Hell for certain, now) from the fine dudes at GolfObserver.com in an interview with Ben by G. Shackelford) ...

Ben: ". . . No. 14 is really different. Bill [Coore] saw it as a neat little hole with something indefinable about it. What I really liked about it is that it's a short par 4, a tough one, but it's one of those holes that technology has little impact on. It might be difficult for some people. But I hope there are some 2's made there. Because there are going to be quite a few stumbles there as well.

Geoff: On the fourteenth, it looks like the strategy is to try to keep it up on the left side of the fairway to get a nice view in, with plenty of room right to bail out. But that leaves you with an uphill second shot.

Ben: Yes. And there's a bunker in front and you can go too far over the back. It's a pulpit green. It just sits up there.

Geoff: It was all there?

Ben: Sitting there just like that. We worked just lightly on the fairway surface to make sure balls can stay up on the left side of the fairway. We didn't want to put a big flat ramp up there either, so there's definitely some movement in the fairway, and it's very easy for a ball to slide off to the right. But the hole's 310 yards and playing from a very high tee. I don't know that the green is much lower than the tee. But the tee shot really does swoop into a valley. "

Slag : So, from what I read into it, they made the fairway more forgiving for the optimum approach while keeping the land of the green as it was for its ultimate defense.  As the self-righteous, naturalistic puritanical stalwarts that we armchair archies claim/secretly think we are, what more can we hope for?  
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Dan Kelly

Re:Bandon Trails 14th Hole
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 04:31:21 PM »
As the self-righteous, naturalistic puritanical stalwarts that we armchair archies claim/secretly think we are, what more can we hope for?  

An easy 2, next time we play it!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back