News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Curry

Re:Conditioning question - Weeds
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2005, 10:48:31 AM »
Steve O.,

Sounds like your studying to be a lawyer??  Is there nothing you do that is left to your professional discretion?

Jerry K.,

Keeping ones turf healthy is the best remedy for keeping the weeds at bay and not have them take over.  Treating for weeds is mostly cosmetic.

Steve

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2005, 02:22:31 PM »
Weeds, for the most part, don't bother me.  However, broadleafs in the fairway, plantain in particular, and Dandelions in the near vicinity of bunkers do seem treatable and are like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Weeds lost in the roughand along the transitions are fine.  

You could go ahead and treat everything, make the process so expensive as to make the course unaffordable and not have a problem with overplay!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2005, 02:38:29 PM »
Steve O: I have played many courses which are considered among the best in the U.S. and in most instances I paid my own way - that includes Maidstone, Shinnecock and NGLA.  Does my opinion therefor carry greater weight?  It was just very surprising to me to see the difference in views concerning conditioning at Maidstone versus the other top courses.  It is apparently accepted in the case of Maidstone both by the members and the raters as it is very highly ranked but I just wonder how it  has done so as there is no question in my experience that it is the exception.    

Steve Okula

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2005, 02:52:58 PM »
When I spoke on the opinions of non-paying visitors, I was referring back to Steve Curry's post where he said he got more comments about weeds from visiting GCS's than anyone else. My experience is the opposite.

Steve C. , I don' understand your question about there being nothing left to my professional discretion. I have it minuted in a greens committee meeting that the members believe there is too much clover in the roughs and fairways. No one tells me any more than that. Seeing as how I have the sprayer, the material, and the know-how, why would I not eliminate the clover and make the membership happy? Arguing with them for no reason seems stupid to me. You need to pick your battles.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2005, 12:40:54 AM »
Caleb,

I was not deriding Pronghorn or its members.  I think that the place is just wonderful, and based on what the pro told me, so are the members.

Yes, indeed, sound environmental maintenance practices and great tournament conditions can co-exist.  In fact, I would argue that not having to rely so much on chemicals to eradicate all but the planted grasses and controlling the amount of water even if some areas turn less than deep green would promote better playing conditions.

Pronghorn has a reputation for its meticulous conditioning.  I was just using it as an example of a course where the superintendent may have to inform some members who perhaps don't understand the ramnifications of the extensive use of pesticides, fertilizers, and excessive irrigation.  Where money is not an issue and the members are used to the best, defining what the best is in the context of golf may be prudent.  While I doubt that your superintendent will allow even a few dandelions to coexist on your green-like fairways, I hope that a few in the rough along with some stands of clover won't be seen as less than desirable conditioning.  

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2005, 02:15:13 AM »
Lou,
I thought you were going to retire from this site?

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2005, 08:03:50 AM »
"Lou,
I thought you were going to retire from this site?"

TommyN:

He has but nowhere near as many times as you have.  ;)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2005, 12:15:30 PM »
TN,

When did I post that I was going to take my ball and run home?  I do intend to retire from the rat race in the not too distant future, but not from golf or this site.

On the other hand, if you and your west coast friends want to start up a petition to recall my password, let me know when you have the requisite signatures.  Like John Kavanaugh, I can be easly persuaded to do the right and honorable thing.

I trust that things are going well and in the right direction with your new lifestyle.

TEP,

For one round at Merion and/or Pine Valley I'll willingly give up my posting priviliges and promise not to bug you in the future.  I would include Seminole in the mix but that's much too easy for you.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »
"Lou,
I thought you were going to retire from this site?"

TommyN:

He has but nowhere near as many times as you have.  ;)

Tom, this would be true. But then again, Pat can't be weighing the total load in keeping you in line!

Lou,

I will do my best to abide by Ran's wishes, which, to the delight of some of you here, will greatly reduce my "contributions" to this site (the only one I participate in interactively).

Plus with your retirement area post, I just assumed.....   ;)

Lou, why does it always have to be about access and politics? Why can't it just be about the discussion of golf architecture?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2005, 03:23:44 PM »
TN,

I wish you well and that's what you come up with?  Is that how you see me?  A beggar for invites and a political whacko?

Not that I have any expectations that you will, but review my postings and show me where I initiated anything political or about getting on at limited access golf courses.  Most if not all of my comments on these two topics were responses, often to others' blatant or nonsensical posturing on the same.

So, Tommy, when you see my name on a thread, just save your breath and skip it.  Why would you waste your time to comment as you did on a matter dealing with conditioning and weeds?   Don't worry.  I will never ask you to help me gain access to a course so that I may better appreciate and understand golf architecture.

A wise boss I had many years ago taught me that no matter what, to always try to maintain a positive personal regard for others.  I must say that this has been difficult from time to time with a couple of you guys from the west coast.  Nevertheless, I do hope that things continue to improve for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back