News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re:It's days like this...
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 10:45:41 PM »
in my case, none...cause I don't use one!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 10:46:08 PM »
Voytek  -- this fellow Polishman -- my name used to be Thomaszeski and my mom is Gintkowski --wonders if you know the answer to this one, which one of my daughters asked me the other day:  are there any golf courses in Poland yet?  I believe as of a few years ago there weren't, but maybe now?

welcome to GCA!

pt

There we go - we're going to have a Polish chapter of GCA (shudder).

Anyway, the very first golf course in Poland was First Warsaw Country Club - a quite non-descript track built by Swedish investors on the banks of the Vistula River not far from Warsaw. It was built about 6-7 years ago. I played it twice-nothing to write home about. Since then several more courses have sprang up - most recently Modry Las - a Gary Player design!

I am sure that Poland and other Eastern European countries have absolutely magnificent sites for golf courses. There is plenty of hilly, sandy land in Poland with hardwood trees and old castles for clubhouses - if only there were enough golfers!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 10:47:13 PM »
How many Polish golfers does it take to use a cheater line? ;D

I knew it was coming....  ;D

PThomas

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 10:50:07 PM »
and think of the food we can have in our clubhouse when we build our course there Voytek:  pierogies, Polish sausage, and plenty of Vodka.....

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 10:55:54 PM »
and think of the food we can have in our clubhouse when we build our course there Voytek:  pierogies, Polish sausage, and plenty of Vodka.....

Maybe we can get Tom Doak to design one there... I don't even want to start thinking of the name... ;D

But there would be plenty of kielbasy, vodka (forget Scotch), and wild boar on the menu.

Alex Chehansky

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2005, 11:14:16 PM »
If they served pierogies and jolopche (sp?) on the first and tenth tee, I would never leave the course!!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2005, 11:23:40 PM »
While JakaB's approach to architecture appears to be tangential, at least he created posts that could be deemed thought provoking, some on target, others no more off target then many of the OT subjects frequently posted on this site.

Before anyone calls JakaB a jester, or any other names, perhaps they should, at the very least, replace his criticized efforts, by posting interesting threads of their own.

The dismal response to the "an idea" thread, and Robert Hunter's, "The Links" makes me wonder if anyone is seriously interested in golf course architecture.

And, if you claim that you are, how do you manifest that serious interest on this site ?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2005, 11:48:58 PM »
Beginning with Voytek's 19th post, I am sure that threads like this one will open the flood gates to architect participation on this site.  Now that Golden, Childs, and Kavanaugh are gone, Nicklaus, Fazio, and Dye are poised to fill the void.

Surely, Tom Doak will be posting regularly on modern minimalist applications of treasured principles from the classical era.  And from time to time he may even share with us his considerable breadth of expertise into some subject matters as politics and economics.

shivas, the answer to your question is pi (3.1416) * the # of Aggies required to decipher the meaning of a cheater line.

Dr. Klein, I was unaware that your academic background is in psychology.  Some of us are not so much enabled as tolerated.  BarneyF is full of it.  Most of us are, though a fewer number realize it.

On this site, we delve primarily in opinions and preferences.   Of course, some of these are better than others.  Those reflecting my own get very high marks.  But, from time to time, even guys like Moriarty, Naccarato, and Ferguson write something that is worthy of a second look.  In the end, like with so many other things, our time here is more entertainment than something terribly cerebral and of major consequence.

I am priviliged to have played golf with Geoffrey Childs, Mike Golden, and John Kavanaugh.  These gentlemen have different backgrounds, interests, and personalities, yet they provide valuable, diverse perspectives.  I will personally miss them if they stay away from gca.com, and I believe that the site will be the lesser for it.  Paraphrasing the somewhat troubled peacemaker from CA, "Why can't we all just learn to get along"?  

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2005, 11:50:22 PM »

And, if you claim that you are, how do you manifest that serious interest on this site ?

As a noob, I just absorb, trying to understand why certain courses fill me with awe and other leave me cold.

The line betwen provoking thought and trolling is very thin - and I am very tired of the latter.

This site is a gem - full of intelligent, professional discourse and information. A rarity these days. It is not vigorously moderated for obvious reasons, so it's up to everyone to keep it clean.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2005, 11:51:42 PM »
I haven't seen Mike's name turn into a guest, now that JakaB's gone will you be staying?

Voytek-
Who cares what you think? Take a look at your posts on this thread and ask yourself if they have contributed anything to the site.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 11:56:07 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Michael Moore

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 07:53:26 AM »
Before anyone calls JakaB a jester, or any other names, perhaps they should, at the very least, replace his criticized efforts, by posting interesting threads of their own.

Pat -

I am surprised that you are unable to differentiate between calling someone a name and describing his role.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005, 08:14:23 AM »
Voytek:

Dzien dobry. Milo mi.

Unfortunately, I only recognize a few basic phrases that I heard growing up!!! And I always impress my daughter that I can count to ten in Polish  ;D

Do zobaczenia,

Doug

mike_malone

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 08:47:52 AM »
 Why is  it so hard to just ignore what you don't like? Is it like looking at a car wreck? Most "bad" topics die from the lack of participation. So, let them go.

I think the off topic discussions are "community building". Serious discussion of any topic can get tiresome.

So, I suggest we lighten up and be grateful that we have a place to go "where people know our names".
AKA Mayday

Ted Kramer

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2005, 08:48:24 AM »
Count me in with the Polish contingent . . .
and count me in as someone who already misses Dr. Childs and will miss JakaB. . .

-Ted

THuckaby2

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2005, 08:50:54 AM »
Gents:

I miss Dr. Childs also.  I will sure as hell miss JakaB if he doesn't post in here.

Thus it was very nice to hear his voice yesterday, when he called me to discuss my recollection of our round at Shinnecock, mentioned in here on another thread.

Just because they don't post doesn't mean they're gone.... nor that they cease to exist....

;)

PThomas

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2005, 09:24:39 AM »
good morning all  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(many happy faces to lighten these dark clouds!)

all these fellow Poles....what a beautiful thing....

but I'd buy all my gca friends a zm new pivo anytime

I second the wise words of Mr. Malone (and others as well)

count your blessings and have a great day

pt

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2005, 09:45:21 AM »
I'm half Slovak...that has to account for something while I eat my cabbage and noodles.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 09:45:42 AM by Mike_Cirba »

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2005, 09:45:38 AM »
Take a look at your posts on this thread and ask yourself if they have contributed anything to the site.

I did. I just created a Polish contingent. Don't know if it is good or bad, though ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 09:46:20 AM by Voytek Wilczak »

PThomas

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2005, 09:50:59 AM »
you're a good guy and your Slovak-ness is close enough, so I think you're in Mike!

stuffed cabbage is another fine Polish dish, by the way

George Pazin

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2005, 10:08:48 AM »
I'm half Slovak...that has to account for something while I eat my cabbage and noodles.   ;D

Only if you use it's proper Slavic name, halushki.

One of my fondest memories of my maternal Grandmother was when one of my uncles was showing off to a Penn State professor, telling him all these different names for a certain well known food mentioned by Paul Thomas. He gave the Slavic word, the Romanian word, the Polish word, etc., till my Grandmother - not at all known for sarcasm - deadpanned, "It's just stuffed cabbage."
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RJ_Daley

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2005, 10:52:50 AM »
Gents, after bering away a week playing real golf on the prairie and plains of our great land, enjoying unique and creative golf course architecture on two seriously significant courses, I come back to this purgative thread of emotionalism.  Proclamations from a variety of perspectives, all of which hold some merrit in their varying points of view IMO, have been expressed about the worth and validity of diverse participants postings.  Darn, I hate to be equivacal, but all I can determine from reading the points and counter points, challenges and accusations, answers and defenses, etc., is that we have some very smart people on this site, and they should all bask in the freedom to speak their minds, and protect that right and the place they have found to express themselves.

To be more blunt, they say it is an old Italian expression (although the Poles must have their corresponding maxim), "dont shit where you eat!"  Non si fare cacca dove si mangia...

Lastly, it is a sad coincidence or bad karma or something that I find a situation where three people I have come to know and appreciate for their unique intelligence, through this site and it's predecessor, Golden, Geoff, and John have come to loggerheads and all three get frustrated and leave or threaten to do so.  

John, as I think someone has said above in so many words, their is a thin line between provocative proclamations, court jestering, and devils advocate (call it what you will) and going too far.  I have at times been exasperated by certain things you say and how you say them.  Yet, I try to be patient and see if any good or iteresting thought springs forth from some of your original firebrand posts.  Sometimes, I find you do have an obscure point, and it becomes a point of learning something new or thinking about something in a different way, and sometimes...well it is just another dead end.  

Is it too naive to hope that you all three will reconsider, and take a little more care with the flame throwers, so that the real value of the site is not overshadowed?  But, what would we have here without flirting with the line of barbs, witicism and critical satire once in a while?  Just a stale old treatise on GCA.  Hell, I could read Fred G. Hawtree if I wanted that! ::) ;) ;D

If you respond to my thoughts and expect a reply, you'll have to wait... it is the first day of Men's club here on the frozen tundra! 8)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 10:54:06 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John_Cullum

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2005, 11:29:34 AM »
I talked to a number of Golf course architects at the last meeting who read the site. Why don't they post? "because the site is full of guys who already think they know it all".

My instincts tell me it wasn't John Kavanaugh they were referring to. More often than not, JakaB is speaking for those architects, calling this groups armchair architects to answer for their total ignorance of what it takes to build a good golf course.

Without JakaB's poignant wit, this discussion group becomes much less interesting. I don't think we'll see JakaB back. When John Kavanaugh says he's going to take a course of action, he follows through. This reminds me of the night our 14 year old cat disappeared. We hoped beyond all hope she would show up, but I knew deep down, we would never see her again.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 11:30:42 AM by John Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Steve Okula

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2005, 02:01:14 PM »
I also am pure bred Polish, mother's maiden name is Rajewicz, all four grandparents born in the old country.

And, I hate pierogies, go figure.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

redanman

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2005, 02:12:28 PM »
I'm half Slovak...
Just for the record, so am I.

and the other half is Polish  8)

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2005, 02:15:13 PM »
Looks like we have more Polish than lefties here; half guilty as well!

Yesterday was indeed a black day.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back