News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Re:DC/Baltimore Top 50
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2004, 02:43:28 PM »
DCarroll is a member at Elkridge and has nothing but good things to say about the restoration. I have not seen it yet, but am hopeful to get out before year's end. As for GSVHC, it is in good shape, but I am not a fan of starting on a 3 and ending on one as well. There are some really good holes, but mostly average holes.
Mr Hurricane

Cory Lewis

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2004, 03:23:34 PM »
The restoration at Elkridge is absolutely amazing, what a golf course, Elkridge was actually in my top ten when I submitted my list, my guess is that not enough people have seen it since it was restored.  Rocky Gap over in Cumberland is very over-hyped in my opinion.  One nine is mountain with several blind shots, the other is in the open flat part of the property, not a very exciting golf course.  

Craig:  from a professional's standpoint I can tell you that most of the top DC private clubs on the list that I played came when I was a junior golfer.  Most of these clubs are very difficult to get on, and therefore not seen by many Middle Atlantic golf professionals.  Of the seven on the list I haven't played four are private DC courses(Columbia,Chevy Chase, and both at Congressional).  I enjoyed Washington very much and placed it in my top 25, but again I played it when I was 17.  Most golf professionals will only rate courses they have seen and unless they hold a tournament there, chances are they haven't seen it.  

« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 03:29:03 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2004, 11:49:33 PM »
Rocky Gap has a claustrophobically tight front nine and a much more interesting back nine.  It has trouble with conditioning and is losing a lot of money.  I am anxious to see Elkridge.  I have not played it in about ten years.  As I recall there were some new holes that just did not fit in with the rest.  I understand that has changed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 08:10:23 PM by tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2004, 12:00:20 AM »
Wyncote is Washington/Baltimore?  

I guess Pine Valley is in metro NY

Wyncote is exactly between Philly and Baltimore. In the pro shop, Baltimore radio stations play and Baltimore news on TV. Go figure. As a Jerseyite, I hate when Pine Valley is mentioned as a Philadelphia course,  :D

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2004, 08:45:02 AM »
Wyncote is Washington/Baltimore?  

I guess Pine Valley is in metro NY

Wyncote is exactly between Philly and Baltimore. In the pro shop, Baltimore radio stations play and Baltimore news on TV. Go figure. As a Jerseyite, I hate when Pine Valley is mentioned as a Philadelphia course,  :D

Those Philadelphians need all the quality courses they can get
 ;D ;D ;D
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Jim Franklin

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2004, 09:48:34 AM »
Tommy -

The two holes that "don't fit" with the rest of the course still don't fit. Nothing was done to those holes.
Mr Hurricane

david h. carroll

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2004, 09:55:39 AM »
Jimmy/Tommy--actually some changes were made to the two holes at Elkridge which don't fit.  BTW, they are #6 and #7 and they were added in the 70's for the purpose of converting two holes into the range and tennis courts.  They are bad holes and certainly not Raynoresque.  The changes at 6 are the bunkers around the green have been flattened and squared. Likewiser the bunkers at 7 and the removal of the left bunkers in the layup area.  The left side of the layup area has also been raised to prevent balls from rattling around the cartpath and going into the hazard.  The overall sense is that with the changes/restoration of the rest of the golf course, these two holes will feel so out place that we will blowthem up in the near future.  The reason for not doing it during this renovation was one of cost, for the ground beneath the turf is solid rock and blasting is very expensive.  The thinking, however, is at some point make 7 a cape par 5 and level out 6.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back