News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re:What is the average handicap of a Golf Club Atlas poster?
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
Can't remember if I posted or not.
Avid golfer to say the least.  handicap 5.

Terry, I had spinal surgery eight weeks ago. I am curious to see how i will play.  I lost a lot of strength in my right arm.  I snuck out for a week of skiing in CO but skied like a dog.  Hope my golf game doesn't suffer as much.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Nomm

« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2008, 08:15:04 PM »
Tommy and Terry - keep playing.  I worked with a member of mine who a year ago had 3-vertebrae fused.  He went from a 9 to a 7 last summer.  Kept the backswing short, smoothed the swing, and got better.

Golf is a wonderful motivator, isn't it?

C. Squier

« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »
1.1 - but I think our back tees are over rated on their rating/slope.  

CPS

Norbert P

« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2008, 08:51:40 PM »

"Mostly, I hate you guys, mostly."

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
5-7 and rising fast with two small kids.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »
I think it is at 8.9 at the end of the season. Down from 10 something, but up from the 7 it has been the last few years. Low was just under 5 about 10-15 years ago...

It will get better this year!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Michael Powers

« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2008, 09:27:58 PM »
Golf Pro, scratch
HP

Mark Smolens

« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
4.5 with three rounds not counted this week (they don't figure your out of State scores until the handicap season starts up in April).  WeKoPa/Saguaro 89; Desert Mountain/ Chiricahua 77 (1st look at course); Raven at Verrado 81.  A foolish consistentcy is clearly and unequivocally the hobglobin of this little mind. . .  I hope to be considered an avid golfer.

Sandy Smith

« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »
Miss spent youth , 2.
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2008, 10:53:23 PM »
5-7 and rising fast with two small kids.

I hear you.  Broke 90 - the wrong direction - for the first time in A VERY LONG TIME recently.

Saying goodbye to single digits anyday now.

John Moore II

« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »
Pro-but my handicap was in the + figures before I turned pro.

Steve Verde

« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2008, 02:41:36 AM »
5.4, avidish golfer

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
Avid golfer

Recovering from Labor Day back injury, anyone want to give me a few more strokes?   8)

David Heiser

« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2008, 12:05:14 PM »
8.5, Club manager.

JSPayne

« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
New Golf Course Superintendent :)

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »
Former Professional
Golf Course Construction
Handicap-4

Scott Weersing

« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »
6 handicap

But I shot a 75 from the blue tees at Rustic on Jan. 4, 2008.

David Ober

« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »
Avid tournament-level amateur.

Index is usually 0 to +1 in the winter and +2 to +3 in the summer. Currently sit at +0.8.

I played poorly at the State Am last year at MPCC, though, and Huntley probably thinks I carry a "vanity 'cap"!!  ;D

Plenty of verifiable tournament scores on the 'net for me, though.... :-)

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2008, 09:40:18 PM »
avid, index is .7

Sean_A

« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2008, 04:07:36 AM »
Avid golfer with a 9 handicap who is fairly consistent, but has more bad days than good if all are tallied.  I have recently switched clubs for posting handicaps and I will be interested to see if my handicap changes.  I have a theory that the difficulty of a course shouldn't matter to your handicap if the respective courses are rated properly.  We shall soon see as my old club was much "easier" than the new one.  It had a par of 70 with a rating of 68.  The new club has a par of 71 with a rating of 71.  Both ratings are from the daily tees.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Dieter Jones

« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2008, 06:11:57 AM »
4.5 with three rounds not counted this week (they don't figure your out of State scores until the handicap season starts up in April).  WeKoPa/Saguaro 89; Desert Mountain/ Chiricahua 77 (1st look at course); Raven at Verrado 81.  A foolish consistentcy is clearly and unequivocally the hobglobin of this little mind. . .  I hope to be considered an avid golfer.

This US system sounds more long winded than your election process ::). I guess all systems have their strengths and weeknesses.

Just an observation - alot of people with an "index" (ie USA posters) stated that they felt their index was too low. A fair number of the posters with handicaps (eg Aus / UK posters) seemd to mention how they should / could be lower. I wonder if either "mentality" alters the effort you put in (ie if your handicap is too low are you more likley to "give up" once you get behind your handicap etc).

Anyway. Me
Golf tragic
AGU handicap 7.7

Sean Arbie. I will be interested to hear the results of your experiment in changing handicap clubs. My experience is that the opposite can happen.

I was until recently a member of a club with par 71 and ACR of 69. This meant that in alot of conditions you had to score 67 just to hold your handicap. I'm now at a par 72 with ACR 72 and find that the CCR can often be 73 or 74 (meaning I can shoot 74 and get away without damaging the handicap).

For me I tend to be a steady rather than spectacular golfer who relies on racking up the pars. I found that I needed to get more birdies at my old club which with my bodgy putting wasn't that easy. Maybe that's why I find the harder course easier to keep a lower handicap on.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2008, 06:46:52 AM »
Golfer 10.6
John Marr(inan)

Andy Ryall

« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2008, 08:15:05 AM »
Avid Golfer 7.2

Though living in Minnesota with 2 small kids puts a typical year at about 32 rounds.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2008, 08:21:57 AM »
In my mind I'm an avid golfer.  In reality, I'm an "other" - an infrequent player over the past couple of years.

Current USGA Index = 12.1

Andy

JLahrman

« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2008, 11:18:34 AM »
I'm an 8.7, which I think is ridiculous as I feel I put up as many 91s as 81s, but that's what the number says.

I'd like to call myself avid, but although I don't think we've defined the term on this thread (I didn't read through every page) I know the number of times I play a year pales in comparison to many people here.  The amount of golf some of you play is just plain unbelievable.

Avid golfer with a 9 handicap who is fairly consistent, but has more bad days than good if all are tallied.  I have recently switched clubs for posting handicaps and I will be interested to see if my handicap changes.  I have a theory that the difficulty of a course shouldn't matter to your handicap if the respective courses are rated properly.  We shall soon see as my old club was much "easier" than the new one.  It had a par of 70 with a rating of 68.  The new club has a par of 71 with a rating of 71.  Both ratings are from the daily tees.

Let us know Sean, but it seems to me like two courses can both be rated the same, but depending on how those courses align to my strengths and weaknesses my handicap could be very different if I played the majority of my rounds at one vs. the other...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back