News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Re:Merion East, 10th hole: Another Piece of the Puzzle?
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2006, 12:58:58 AM »
Tom,

No problem because I see that I left out what Evans wrote next. This is important because if my interpretation of what he wrote is accurate, than Colt did NOT design Indian Hill.  

After he wrote, "A fine new club named the Old Elm Golf Club; its membership is wealthy and influential and its course is up on the North Shore. I think Mr. Colt came here especially to plan its construction and the superintendence of the construction is to be done by Donald Ross. Nothing will be spared in the attempt to make this the finest course in America...", he wrote the following:

"Still another course is being constructed out on the fortunate North Shore. This is the Winnetka Country Club and it is planned on excellent lines..."

It is my understanding that the Winnetka Country Club changed its name to Indian Hill before 1918 as there are photographs of the clubhouse in the archives of the Chicago Daily News taken in that year and it is titled "Clubhouse building at Indian Hill Golf Club in Winnetka."

Also, from the article titled, "Master Landscape Gardeners Help Shape Winnetka" By Barbara Geiger, M.A.L.A., the following is found:

"Master designer O. C. Simonds was the creator of such legendary landscapes as... Still farther west, the Winnetka Country Club (now Indian Hill) called on Simonds in 1914 to work on drainage problems and to create a landscape more attractive than that designed by its golf course architect. While he was working there, Simonds also drew residential subdivision plats for the land surrounding the club, and the winding roads and patches of forest that still exist there are in keeping with those plans."

It seems fairly obvious to me that after announcing that Colt was to design Old Elm with Ross supervising the work, that in the very next paragraph where he mentions that also another
"course is being constructed out on the fortunate North Shore. This is the Winnetka Country Club and it is planned on excellent lines..." If Colt was the designer, he would have had done it during this very same trip where Old Elm was created because Evans wrote that it "IS PLANNED!"

Yet he makes no mention of Colt or anyone else as the designer! It seems unreasonable to me that if Colt did the design that he would not have made mention of this fact after mentioning him desinging Old Elm and highjly praising his work throughout the column.

What also makes this seem as the logical conclusion is how the lanscape designer Mr. Simmonds was hired just 3 years later, maybe even only two after the course was built to, " create a landscape more attractive than that designed by its golf course architect."

It doesn't seem reasonable with how well received Colt's work at Old Elm was that it would be viewed so poorly at Winnetka immediately after his departure.

If I have read too much into this feel free to tell me, but I'm having a hard time seeing any other conclusion that can be drawn.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2006, 03:42:12 AM »
At the risk of getting caught in the crossfire - I checked Google Earth's ruler function.  First against the practise field at Jax's stadium (and also the Orange Bowl) to get a reference point that is accurately measured on the ground.  Google's ruler is accurate.

I also checked it against some par 3's on a local course here that I have lasered.  It was accurate to the yard.  For a well known golf hole reference I measured the 17th at Sawgrass.  It was accurate according to the measurements on the Sawgrass web site.

I'm not even going to hazard measuring Merion's 10th since I know not where the tees or Jone's landing zone were those many years ago.  But, I do think that Google's ruler is accurate (unless of course, there's something twisted about the Philadelphia area   ;D).

DMoriarty

« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2006, 04:18:31 AM »
Thanks Brian.  Good idea with the football field, but are you sure it isnt Canadian Football?  Now if only someone could figure out how to measure the 10th at Merion . . . .

I am sure you will understand if I try to check Google’s accuracy by some other means, like Brian's above.  It would be a really silly thing to have wrong, as it ought to be just a matter of scaling their ruler to the degree of magnification of the photograph.

Like you, I don’t trust Google’s altitude function, which is why I used a USGS application for those measures.   If I cant trust the US government, who can I trust?

SPBD,

Don't be sorry.  Posts about golf design are certainly welcome by me.  

I agree with you that bad Victorian architecture was the norm all over America.   I concentrate on Philadelphia, because the men in question were most familiar with Philadelphia design, yet they chose another direction.   But I could and should have added that this was the prevailing design approach across America (I think I have said as much more than a few times above, but at this point that is probably all lost in the clutter.)

IMO most people underestimate just how widespread and common the dark ages stuff was because almost all of it has been wiped completely off the map, literally.

One thing I don’t understand, what do you mean when you say you don’t view Merion and NGLA as reactionary? At least in MacDonald’s case, his writings indicate a level of disgust with American design and an explicit attempt to replace it with something else.  To my mind, that is not only reactionary, it is somewhat revolutionary.   But perhaps I don’t understand what you mean by reactionary?

I think I keep a very open mind when it comes to architectural research and attributions, and it's always interesting to hear new material as it comes to light here.

I think you do, too.   And since we are in agreement about the importance of openly sharing and discussing our research, perhaps you will do me a favor:  Go to google earth, pull up the 10th at Merion, and measure from the front of the middle tee to a point just left of the green, even with the greenside edge of the front greenside bunker.  After all, part of quality research is peer review.

However, I'm not understanding the point of your exercise.   Merion has always been known as one of the first of the really great American courses, and one of the first real attempts to create something superb; following in the model of NGLA and what Macdonald did there..what Travis was doing at Garden City...what Fownes was doing at Oakmont.   This is indisputable, and hardly news.  That these excellent courses were a clear attempt to model after the best in Britain is also well known and documented, . . .

Which exercise is that?  Mike Sweeney asked me to clarify my thoughts on these issues and I did.  I told him up front that my thoughts weren’t profound or groundbreaking or even all that original.  But he asked so I told him.  TEPaul’s repeated ridicule notwithstanding, I am making no grandiose claims.  

That being said, I want to get something straight.  However mundane and trivial the points on my list may seem now, they certainly weren’t  viewed as such by the Wayne Morrison or Tom Paul when I suggested them, nor are the accepted by Wayne Morrison even now.   For example, almost all of my “conversations” with Wayne Morrison have revolved precisely around the hypothesis that Merion represented a substantial departure from the Victorian style design which dominated Philadelphia and America, and an attempt to return to the style of the great links courses and the recent (such as NGLA and the Heathland courses) which had done the same thing.

Now this may sound trivial and mundane to you, but to Wayne Morrison it is some sort of blasphemy.  Same goes for TomPaul, at least some of the time.  He has switched directions so many times on these threads that I get dizzy just trying to read his posts.  

So instead of asking me why I am bothering with such mundane and trivial and obvious points, perhaps you should ask Wayne Morrison the basis on which he rejects them.

. . . and I'd argue that it was less a reaction to the state of architecture in the country at that time than simply an earnest attempt to build an excellent course, giving the growing interest in the game, a burgeoning membership at Merion, and the luxury of building a brand new course while still playing daily at the old.   It gave them the time to do things well and studiously;  thus, Wilson's trip to visit Macdonald and his subsequent lengthy stay studying courses in the British Isles.   Again, nothing new here.

You are correct, there is nothing new in what you are saying, here, as this is the conventional wisdom.  But in my opinion, the facts don’t support the conventional wisdom.   If they wanted to build something better, why not just improve upon the style which was all around them?  Why not do what everyone else was doing, only better?  And if they weren’t rejecting what was around them, then why go all the way to Europe to study?  By this point there were hundreds of courses in America, so certainly they had a lot to learn if they were at all satisfied with what was going on around them.   And why spend the money to train someone new?  If they were at all satisfied with what was around them, then they simply could have hired one of the experienced Scottish professionals and simply pay them extra to do a really good job?  

And why on earth go to MacDonald to plan the Euro Study Abroad trip and to learn about golf design?    MacDonald wasn’t plodding along trying to gradually improve on what he saw around him.  He was trying to replace it all, at one fell swoop.   His writings indicate a level of contempt for most American design.  He was actively encouraging other designers and clubs to trash what they had and to replace it features and ideas based on the great links courses.

Also, read what the writers said about Merion.  They didn’t talk about gradual evolution in quality, they are talking about a leap in an entirely different direction.  

But, I think where I really am missing your point is concerning the role of Macdonald and Whigham.  When I asked you straight out a few days ago whether you believed that these two had much more to do with the design of the original course at Merion, you stated that you didn't.   Yet, you seem to keep coming back to trying to prove some point that they did have heavy direct involvement.   Which is it?

I think you might want to reread my answer.  I just did and the answer is entirely consistent with what I am saying now.   I acknowledged the contemporary evidence which suggests that MacDonald had an influence, then I said:  “as for MacDonald having a direct role in the specific design of holes at Merion, I have not seen evidence of this thus far, nor do I believe it to be the case.”

Lots of evidence of MacDonald’s influence, but little or no evidence of MacDonald playing a direct role in the specific design.  In other words, whatever influence MacDonald may have had,  I don’t think he designed the course.

As for the rest, it seems a bit of a stretch.  First, there was plenty written about the connection between Merion and MacDonald and/or his design ideas.  Why should MacDonald toot his own horn if everyone else was doing it for him?  Second, if the description of the course and MacDonald’s influence on it were untrue and inaccurate, then wouldn’t Wilson or someone else have set the record straight?  

But really, before we can answer your questions about specific holes and features, we have to understand what was there when the course opened.   I think we are far from this understanding, but any efforts aimed at figuring this stuff out are, shall we say, less than well received.

Why wouldn't Macdonald take credit if he believed that he actually made a major, or even significant contribution to the ultimate design there?

Again, he got plenty of credit.  And I seen little or no evidence that any of it was undeserved.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:53:37 AM by DMoriarty »

DMoriarty

« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2006, 04:52:50 AM »
Another classy rhetorical move, Mr. Morrison . . . ridicule me because I dont have every old golf magazine memorized.  Funny you trust the numbers written on the drawings but not the words on the pages.  

But to the task at hand . . . I dont care how long Jones' drives were. I never have.   I do care how long Merion No. 10 was, and merely pointed out that on google those drives on the 10th measure about 260 yards, not 300, because the hole is not as long as you thought.

I'll let you disprove Jones' driving distances yourself.  I suggest you use google, since you know how to use google's distance function and have already measured the 10th:

Your measurements are wrong, you either don't know how to use the Google measuring tool or you fabricate the results.  I do know how to use it and I didn't do so with any agenda or bias in mind.
(my bold)

Since you already made the measure with google and “an open mind,” why not share your result?  Prove me either incompetent or a liar.  Back up your words.  Here’s your chance, Mr. Morrison. . . . Mr. Morrison? Mr. Morrrrrriiiiison, are you there?  

Oh, I almost forgot, you are no longer conversing with me— again.  At least until you decide to pop in and take another shot at me.  A cynical mind might wonder why you quit speaking to me now, with your fabrication claim still polluting the air, and proof only a click away.

TEPaul, I find it interesting that you now want to turn to other measuring mechanisms besides google to measure the 10th.  A good idea, but I don’t think it is necessary.      

Mr. Morrison knows how to work the Google Earth distance application; he has already measured the 10th without bias or agenda.  (After all, what other basis could he have for calling me either incompetent or a liar?)

Now that Brian has shown us that the google distance tool is accurate, Wayne need only tell us the results of his unbiased and accurate measures.  

Discussion and debate about architecture, particuarly its history and evolution, is the essence of GOLFCLUBATLAS.com!

I agree.   But you rarely discuss or debate.  Go back and read your own posts, especially the posts directed at posters who aren’t afraid to disagree with you.  You will find very little that is appropriate for polite debate.  

So, while I welcome your civil discussion and debate, I encourage you to carry out your threat of boycotting me if you cannot leave the rest of the baggage behind.   Will the boycott include posts about me as well as those to me?  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:56:15 AM by DMoriarty »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2006, 06:31:49 AM »
[=Mike Sweeney: I found your comments about DM especially ironic when to my knowledge you've never objected to anyting TE has said.

Now Tom just because #1 Ohio State and The Big Ten took it on the chin last night from the ACC is no reason to pick on the one guy who complimented you on this thread.  :D See Mike "Voice of Reason" Cirba's post, I am latchin onto his bandwagon right now.  

By the way, my wife considers it more a double standard than some sort of irony with me. I am sure she will be happy to talk/vent with you if you want to do more research! Also when Tom Paul wanted to go examine the seed structure of Sand Hills at 5:00 AM in the morning with the greenskeeper, I clearly disagreed with Tom.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:32:58 AM by Mike Sweeney »

T_MacWood

« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2006, 06:37:37 AM »
David
Colt and Ross had loose parnership or arrangment while Ross was in the midwest. They were at Old Elm together, they were at Indian Hill together, they were at Glen View together, Ross even went to Detroit to help Colt with some details there as well

Henry was Colt's given name, like most Harrys. The article in 1918 (written by Joe Davis who was the man in Chicago golf writing for the Tribune) was to announce the club's purchase of the land from the trust company (Central Trust) who owned it. The author was giving a brief history of the course.

As far as the evidence that Colt & Ross designed and built the course if American Golf, the Chicago Tribune, Golf Illustrated, the USGA Golf Bulletin and the club itself are not good enough then we'll just have to mark you down as unconvinced and move on. I have no idea why you make a mockery of good honest research, did I hurt your feelings before when I have corrected you or is there some unwritten rule where someone outside the Chicago area should not be researching and/or sharing historical information on her courses?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:13:46 AM by Tom MacWood »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2006, 06:46:04 AM »
Tom,

Please take it easy on Shivas today. He is going to wake up this morning and finally realize when he sees that Google measurement that the "Shivas Gait" was flawed and was the reason that he kept missing greens. Thus, he had to give up tournament golf to become a lawyer.  :'(

T_MacWood

« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2006, 07:00:48 AM »
Phil
You are correct Indian Hill was originally formed as Winnetka CC.

TE
Its not difficult to compare and contrast the course Ross built at Aronimink and the course Prichard built and conclude that it was not an accurate restoration. Anyone with two eyes can see that.

We know what the low point was at Aronimink.....when club decided to restore the course (after numerous tinkerings). Judging the highpoint is subjective no doubt, it requires historical research, and based on what I've seen, the highpoint was between 1929 (when the course was opened) and the 1939 aerial. What was its architectural highpoint in your estimation?

Mike
I appreciate your complement a lot, but I find it a little disturbing that TE has been insulting people (mostly me) on here for years, with much worse comments than anything DM wrote and not word from you, or just about anyone else for that matter.

I can take it (and have taken it), but I agree with your wife it is a double standard. Is that becasue TE is looked upon as the site's wacky uncle, who has and will say just about any thing, but who really shouldn't be taken seriously?

ForkaB

« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2006, 07:01:27 AM »
Well said, Mike, but he has his brilliant "Dewey Beats Truman" riposte to Tom MacWood to sustain his ego for a while..... :)

T_MacWood

« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2006, 07:22:01 AM »
Here is what Indian Hill looked like in 1939.  The two holes in the middle just below the pond bear some resemblence to the drawings Paul posted.  

I agree with you...those holes you pointed out on the aerial are #15 and #16. Colt was very keen on diagonal hazards and Indian Hills appeared to have plenty of them.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2006, 08:18:16 AM »
Tom Mac, A couple of questions.

First I admit I have no personal knowledge of either Old Elm or Indian ill, but Your comment, "those holes you pointed out on the aerial are #15 and #16..." have me more than a bit confused.

If those two are 15 & 16, can you explain the routing as the clubhouse (I assume it is the same one built in the teens) which I believe is that rather large structure that matches the photograph used in the 1918 Chicago Daily News article and can be clearly seen (unless I am mistaken) up in the far right corner, has quite a few more holes than two between it and what you seem to be refering to as the 16th.

Am I looking at the same two holes that you are refering to? The ones on the very bottom left side of the map that also appear to have a par three left of them? Wouldn't this make the routing have this par-3 play before one and after the other therefor making it impossible for those holes to be 15 & 16?

Also, after my second post about Chick Evans article and my interpretation that his wording left no doubt that Colt didn't design Indian Hill (Winnetka), you wrote in two different posts, "As far as the evidence that Colt & Ross designed and built the course if American Golf, the Chicago Tribune, Golf Illustrated, the USGA Golf Bulletin and the club itself are not good enough then we'll just have to mark you down as unconvinced and move on." and "Colt was very keen on diagonal hazards and Indian Hills appeared to have plenty of them..."

It appears that you disagreed with my conclusion, and I freely admit it may have been incorrect, but may I ask what articles are you refering to that specifically state that Colt designed the course?

Also, do you have any idea why Evans would praise Colt so highly in announcing him as the designer of Old Elm and in the very next paragraph where he announces that Winnetka was also "planned" he wouldn't mention Colt as the architect if he had the job?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:20:40 AM by Philip Young »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2006, 08:36:10 AM »
Tom Paul, heck, I don't know what all this fuss is about with you and MacWood over which Aronimink the course should have been restored to.

You're both wrong. If I had my way the mebership would knock down a bunch of homes and restore Tilly's Aronimink!

;D Just having some fun!

T_MacWood

« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2006, 08:44:26 AM »
Phil
Yes, you are right. Actually the routing was changed slightly at some point, and those two holes are #16 and #17 in the aerial. There are two par-3s on the otherside of the clubhouse. The top par-3 is the 10th in the aerial...followed by another par-3 the 11th. Back to back par-3s to start the second nine. The top par-3 was not part of the original plan; I'm not sure what the reason was for the change or when it happened.

Those comments regarding the evidence were directed to DE not you. DE doubts Colt's involvement at Indian Hill (Winnetka). I think we are on the same page.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:46:26 AM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #188 on: November 30, 2006, 08:44:30 AM »
Philip:

Would you criticize a restoration if you'd never even set foot or cast your eye on the golf course whose restoration you were criticizing?  ;)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »
Tom Mac, I guess you misunderstood what I meant because I too took exception to the idea that Colt designed Winnetka.

I based this on two articles only, and I freely admit that I may be very wrong, but here again is what I wrote and quoted from:

This is important because if my interpretation of what he wrote is accurate, than Colt did NOT design Indian Hill.  
   After he wrote, "A fine new club named the Old Elm Golf Club; its membership is wealthy and influential and its course is up on the North Shore. I think Mr. Colt came here especially to plan its construction and the superintendence of the construction is to be done by Donald Ross. Nothing will be spared in the attempt to make this the finest course in America...", he wrote the following:
   "Still another course is being constructed out on the fortunate North Shore. This is the Winnetka Country Club and it is planned on excellent lines..."
   It is my understanding that the Winnetka Country Club changed its name to Indian Hill before 1918 as there are photographs of the clubhouse in the archives of the Chicago Daily News taken in that year and it is titled "Clubhouse building at Indian Hill Golf Club in Winnetka."
   Also, from the article titled, "Master Landscape Gardeners Help Shape Winnetka" By Barbara Geiger, M.A.L.A., the following is found:
   "Master designer O. C. Simonds was the creator of such legendary landscapes as... Still farther west, the Winnetka Country Club (now Indian Hill) called on Simonds in 1914 to work on drainage problems and to create a landscape more attractive than that designed by its golf course architect. While he was working there, Simonds also drew residential subdivision plats for the land surrounding the club, and the winding roads and patches of forest that still exist there are in keeping with those plans."
   It seems fairly obvious to me that after announcing that Colt was to design Old Elm with Ross supervising the work, that in the very next paragraph where he mentions that also another "course is being constructed out on the fortunate North Shore. This is the Winnetka Country Club and it is planned on excellent lines..." If Colt was the designer, he would have had done it during this very same trip where Old Elm was created because Evans wrote that it "IS PLANNED!"
   Yet he makes no mention of Colt or anyone else as the designer! It seems unreasonable to me that if Colt did the design that he would not have made mention of this fact after mentioning him desinging Old Elm and highjly praising his work throughout the column.
   What also makes this seem as the logical conclusion is how the lanscape designer Mr. Simmonds was hired just 3 years later, maybe even only two after the course was built to, " create a landscape more attractive than that designed by its golf course architect."
   It doesn't seem reasonable with how well received Colt's work at Old Elm was that it would be viewed so poorly at Winnetka immediately after his departure.
   If I have read too much into this feel free to tell me, but I'm having a hard time seeing any other conclusion that can be drawn.

So I would certainly appreciate if you can give a quick bit of the history of how and when Colt designed it. With Evans reference to the Winnetka CC already having been planned at the time of the 1913 Colt visit and no mention of him being the architect, and if the date listed in the Simonds article is correct in his changing the landscape design in 1914, the club had to have been built after his two week visit at that time when he designed Old Elm and visited all of the major courses in the Chicago area (Evans words) and before Colt returned once again to the States.

That is why I was asking about the articles and histories you mentioned giving credit to Colt.

To design two major courses and visit many others in that short a time is quite impressive.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2006, 09:25:44 AM »

I think the restoration job Prichard did at Aronimink was terrific. I play the course frequently. I honestly don't get the "many bunkers would be better there" theory. To me, the bunkers are fair, challening, well sized and well placed (as too many of my approach shots find out).

The green complexes, some brute length and now very consistent rough are the best part of Aronimink, IMO. The course maintenance is outstanding.

At the end of the day, I really agree with what Wayne Morrisson said in another post (correct me if I'm wrong Wayne!) ... the members are pleased with the restoration and that's the bottom line.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Paul_Turner

« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2006, 09:28:59 AM »
Tom MacWood:

I may've asked you this before but I don't remember what you (or Paul Turner) said, so I will ask you again----When was the last time Harry Colt was in the United States? If you do have an answer I'd like to see some solid documented evidence for it.

Thanks

Tom

Colt came back in spring 1914.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2006, 09:38:33 AM »
Hi Paul,

You stated that, "Colt came back in spring 1914."

Would you then agree that if he designed Winnetka/Indian Hill as has been alleged, he would have to have done so during his earlier two week visit that Chick Evans article mentioned?

So I was wondering what your take on Evans not mentioning Colt as the designer of Winnetka/Indian Hill when he praised him and announced him as the designer of Old Elm that was about to be built in the paragraph prior to his mentioning Winnetka/Indian Hill?

I'm trying to learn here as I know nothing other than the articles that I posted and am now deeply curious how and when Colt may have designed the course.

TEPaul

« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2006, 10:15:11 AM »
"Tom
Colt came back in spring 1914."

Paul:

Wow, that's the first I've heard of that from anyone, including you the last time I asked you. Very interesting. Do you know much of where he went and what he did when he returned in 1914?

Thanks for that.

TEPaul

« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2006, 10:56:47 AM »
Wayne:

Regarding your post #295, the real point with doing the Aronimink bunkers to the Ross drawing instead of the multi-sets that show up on the 1938 aerial is neither Prichard, nor the club was completely sure before the project that really was the way the bunkers were originally built and they very much wanted to do real Ross bunkers.

So, they had his drawings in hand and no real evidence that the course was not done that way (to Ross's bunker drawings) and then changed to multi-sets at some point between 1929  and 1938.

That was certainly the first thing Ron Prichard asked me regarding my opinion when I first heard about the project.

Tom MacWood, on the other hand, came in a few years after all of this and after the project was done and just played the typical "Monday Morning quarterback" which he seems pretty good at doing---eg criticizing something after the fact with no involvement before the fact. He was not aware of anything that could've helped with the uncertainty of the way the bunkers were originally built before the project got underway.

But as for how often Ross was around here or around Aronimink in those years, it appears he may've been around here more than most suspect.

The reason I believe that is Janet Morrissey, J.B. McGovern's daughter told me she saw him a lot and that she felt like he was her favorite uncle. Her best friend was the daughter of the super at Aronimink who lived in the house that is still the maintenance office. Janet also mentioned that Lillian, Ross's daughter had gotten married and lived above the Ross office in Wynnewood.

Ross was also at my course to do a comprehensive master plan in 1927.

But we must all recognize that it seems pretty certain that that multi-set bunker style was McGovern's and not Ross's. McGovern was a significant member of Aronimink and on its green committee.

The club understood that but wanted Ross bunkers, not McGovern bunkers, and again they had Ross's single bunker drawings in hand.

But again, MacWood has never seen Aronimink and has no idea of the quality of it now. So how can he compare and contrast the present restoration with the way the course was at any other time?

The correct answer is of course he can't, no matter how he tries to rationalize that fact away.

And the same is true with Moriarty and Merion East. If he's so damned fascinated with the golf course, then the first order of business should be to come here and really study it on the ground as some of us have, instead of just arguing trivial points with us.

If Moriarty wants to call me or us boorish and childish for suggesting that, then let him----who cares?

And MacWood seems to want to know on a post above why nobody on here has criticized me for criticizing the modus operandi of he and Moriarty. Perhaps MacWood should just consider the fact that most thinking I'm some 'wacky uncle' type is not the reason they haven't criticized me. Maybe the logical reason they haven't criticized me is they actually think I'm right about the modus operandi of MacWood and Moriarty on here.

T_MacWood

« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »
Tom Mac, I guess you misunderstood what I meant because I too took exception to the idea that Colt designed Winnetka.

I based this on two articles only, and I freely admit that I may be very wrong, but here again is what I wrote and quoted from:

This is important because if my interpretation of what he wrote is accurate, than Colt did NOT design Indian Hill.  
   It seems fairly obvious to me that after announcing that Colt was to design Old Elm with Ross supervising the work, that in the very next paragraph where he mentions that also another "course is being constructed out on the fortunate North Shore. This is the Winnetka Country Club and it is planned on excellent lines..." If Colt was the designer, he would have had done it during this very same trip where Old Elm was created because Evans wrote that it "IS PLANNED!"

So I would certainly appreciate if you can give a quick bit of the history of how and when Colt designed it. With Evans reference to the Winnetka CC already having been planned at the time of the 1913 Colt visit and no mention of him being the architect, and if the date listed in the Simonds article is correct in his changing the landscape design in 1914, the club had to have been built after his two week visit at that time when he designed Old Elm and visited all of the major courses in the Chicago area (Evans words) and before Colt returned once again to the States.

That is why I was asking about the articles and histories you mentioned giving credit to Colt.

To design two major courses and visit many others in that short a time is quite impressive.

I have the article written by Evans dated June 1913, he wrote: "...so we must mention that Mr. HS Colt, the great English architect, has been with us lately and has left a great impression. He spent almost two weeks visiting all out larger courses, and it is easy to tell what he has suggested might be done to them to their advantage.
A fine new club called the Old Elm GC has just been formed; its membership is wealthy and influential and its cours is up on the North Shore. I think Colt came here especially to plan its construction and the superindence of the work is to be done by Donald Ross. Nothing will be spared in the attempt to make this the finest cours in America.
Still another course is being constructed out on the fortunate North Shore. This is the Winnetka CC, and it is planned on excellent lines. With these two new addditions I believe that Chicago has a total of forty-six or so golf clubs....."

Phil
I think you are reading too much into it. How do you infer from this quote that someone other than Colt designed Winnetka (Indian Hill)? Evans goes right from talking about Old Elm to Winnetka. If this was the only evidence you had to judge of Colt was involved at IHCC, I would agree you could draw any conclusion one way or the other. However reading this with the knowledge that American Golfer, Golf Illustrated and Chicago Tribune reported Colt designed Indian Hill only lends more support IMO.

Ossian Simonds was a civil engineer, landscape architect and planner. He laid out the subdivision for Indian Hill. To my knowledge Simonds did not design any golf courses. The author you quoted above seems to be saying he was hired to beautify the landscape at IHCC in 1914, to improve on what the golf architect had done. Colt was in Chicago in 1913....that is when he designed Indian Hill, supported by the article in American Golfer December 1913.  

From what I've been able to gather the drainage issues were handled by William Hibbard....a local legend in his own right. It was reported in the Chicago Tribune that he built the lake on the property.

The Colt-Indian Hill connection is a strong one IMO -- numerous independent sources.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:05:59 PM by Tom MacWood »

T_MacWood

« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2006, 11:57:07 AM »

Tom, you scare me with how fast and loose you are with your conclusions and reasoning.

Fast and loose, four independent sources including the club itself?

I agree that they had a loose arrangement.  I've seen the letter Colt wrote to Old Elm.  I know that Ross did the field work.  But to be clear, you have corrected me on nothing.  What you've done is draw a conclusion based on poor evidence - newspaper articles, which are by definition heresay unless there are quotes in them from direct sources, and even then, guess what?  They're still heresay!

The Chicago Tribune, American Golfer and Golf Illustrated are pretty good sources. Colt's drawing is pretty strong supporting evidence too. Are sure you are a lawyer? :)

Again I ask:  where is the evidence that Harry Colt designed Indian Hill?  Is there anything that Colt wrote that said he did it?  Is there anywhere where Ross says "Harry did a great job laying the course out."  Is there any picture of Colt doing anything at Indian Hill?  Anything at all?

No, I don't have anything Colt wrote that says he designed the course...unless you include his plan! No pictures of him on the grounds...I'm sure if I did you'd question its authenticity. :)

I hate to say this, but the more you dig up old, inaccurate articles as the only thing there is to support the hypothesis that Colt designed Indian Hill, the more inclined I am to believe that there simply is no such evidence.  

Colt wrote a letter to Old Elm.  Why wouldn't he do the same for Indian Hill?  

Hell if I know. Writers block? No change to buy postage? World war and armageddon? I don't know he did or didn't write one. Why don't you check their archives?

And more to the GCA point, Old Elm actually exhibits Colt characteristics!!  I see absolutely nothing in Indian Hill that exhibits any Colt characteristics.  Not even in the 1939 aerial.

If you compare Colt's plan for Old Elm with the old aerial of Indian Hill you will see a number diagonal hazards - a favorite Colt ploy. They both also have a hole with bunker that wraps entirely around half the green (IH #11 & OE #15). Another common characteristic is the use of bunkers en echelon.

The only possibility that remains is that Colt designed the course in the teens, but that it was radically modified to such a great extent that by 1939, it looks nothing like a Colt.  

When did you become a Colt expert? What are some of the other Colt courses you are familar with?

Now, if that were the case, where are the old articles describing THAT??

And moreover, why would a Colt design be soooo bad that it is completely whitewashed immediately after it's built?  Particularly since Colt was so famous and he knew he was working for big-time clients who wanted the best of the best?  The only possible answer to this is that he either "mailed it in" or didn't actually do it and let someone else do it.  

So even if he designed a course that no longer exists, ala CB MacDonald at Chicago Golf, why do we want to believe that he's somehow responsible for what was in the ground in 1939 or today?  He's not.  Chicago Golf is a Raynor and Indian Hill is a Ross, as modified over the years by the usual list of Chicago area architects.

Huh? When did Ross design Indian Hill?

And yes, I am distraught today at the excellent proof that Google Earth's measuring device actually works.  Maybe I was sloppy in my use of the tool.  I dunno.  I know the Gait is accurate, though, and nothing will convince me otherwise. ;D

You really shouldn't conduct historical dissertations when you are out of sorts.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:58:52 AM by Tom MacWood »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #197 on: November 30, 2006, 12:27:19 PM »
Tom Mac,

Thanks for the reference to the December 1913 American Golfer. It is pretty straightforward in stating that "Chicago will add another golf club to its list when the Winnetka Country Club will open next summer... Mr. Colt, of England, and H.H. Barker laid out the course..."

I knew I was missing something with only those two references. Thanks for the help!  ;D

DMoriarty

« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2006, 02:27:44 PM »
Professor Moriarty  . . . Where did I ever say that Merion East was not a departure and improvement on the overwhelming majority of existing golf courses?  

Ahhh . . . the old TomPaul Shuffle:  Discount, resist, obfuscate, browbeat, bully, condescend, ignore (when it suits you) and insult.  Then, if your opposition is somehow still standing, claim his position as your own, and immediately belittle him for the triviality and obviousness of his comments.  Well executed.

Almost a year ago, I said something very similar to what I listed for Mike Sweeney in the post above.   You immediately attacked my qualifications, attacked my knowledge base, and have attacked and ridiculed just about everything I’ve said on the issue since.  Among other things, you have claimed that Merion East was much closer to the old Haverford Merion than I knew.  You claimed that it looked more like the geometric courses at first, and that it only took is current form over time.  And you have consistently claimed that I have overstated the difference between the earliest Merion (in its current location) and the prior geometric designs.  In this thread you said:  

The original East Course was not nearly as radical a departure as you credit it.  It was a great improvement but not finished for another 25 years.  It wasn't until Wilson and Flynn began collaborating that it began to resemble what you think of today.  It took about 10 years after it opened that it began to take familiar form.

Even in this thread you refer to the first iteration of Merion East as a “mid-step,” so please don’t insult our intelligence by now pretending that you have never denied that Merion represented a significant departure from the prevailing style of the time.

Some of your numbered statements are very well documented, very well known around here and elsewhere and are not in dispute.  Why bring them up and mix them with your false conclusions?  If you put incorrect information next to correct information it does not make it correct.

Even if we set your ever-present condescension aside, this criticism is still preposterous.  Any coherent theory must draw upon well-established information. Had I left out the well-established information you’d criticize my post for its lack of foundation and context.  

What tee do you think Jones was hitting from in the 1930 Amateur?
I think he played from the tee marked in the 1930 Jones shot chart.  The chart you said was exact.  What tee do you think he played from?   Surely you haven’t changed your tune on the accuracy of the shot charts have you?

You ridicule my sarcastic reply when I posted other photographs of Jones's results on other holes yet you do not recognize those drives.  Why is that?
If you mean that I ridiculed you for ridiculing me, then you are correct and I will continue to do so until you clean up you act.  Do I recognize these other drives?  Recognize them as what?   I told you, measure them yourself if you want to see just how off they are.  Maybe do them one at a time, though, I wouldn’t want your whole world to come crashing down all at once.    

Honestly, instead of thinking you must be right and that's why I don't wish to converse with you, you should consider the more obvious reason and that is your original ideas are flawed and you do not accept that possibility.  I choose not to address this or any other matter with you in the future.  The fact that it irritates you doesn't really matter to me.

I am more than willing to accept that my ideas may be flawed, and have done so many times, even in this thread.  But I do require more proof than just a pronouncement by you or TEPaul,  Rather, I prefer verifiable facts,

Why don't you get a yardage book from Merion and see what that tells you.  That and a better effort at understanding where Jones hit from in the 1930 Amateur and what the implications would be if Jones were hitting it 30 yards down the line of play as would be played from the 1916 tee.  

Is the yardage book based on historical hole length or has it been accurately revised using modern measuring mechanisms?   Seems like if it was the latter then you’d already know just how off those Jones’ drives are.

From the 1916 tee to the road I get a straight line measurement of 291 yards.  From the current back tee (where Jones played in 1930) the distance is 300 yards to the spot marked on the Golf Illustrated photos.  It is clear to me that under dry and fast conditions, prevalent throughout the year, that the best players of the 1916 era would have been able to come pretty close to the road.

As any competent research would, I have been very specific in my methodology when doing posting measures.  I invite you to do the same.   The reason being is that, together, your two measures make absolutely no sense.  

If it is 291 yards to the road, then it is impossible for Jones mark to have been 300 yards.  In fact, simple trigonometry tells us that, given the 291 yards to the road, a 300 yard drive on Jones’ line would have been over the road, or past.  To stay on the right side of the road, the drive would have to at an angle of at least 14 degrees off of your straight line measure.  In other words, it would have to be at least 71 yards left! (If your “straight line measure” was at a slightly acute angle to the road, then he would have to be even further left.)

Surely you didn’t use google to measure to the road, then rely on a yardage book or an old shot chart to measure the Jones drive?  That would be an unacceptablebush league research technique, and one that is obviously misleading.  You wouldn’t be trying to mislead us here, would you Mr. Morrison?

I believe, with a slightly raised green in the front and well raised in the back that little would have been obscured between the mounds fronting the green in the sand waste and that much if not all of the back half of the green would have been visible regardless.

Yes you believe this, but it based on some photos from 90 years later of a spot well left of the green (you couldn’t photograph in the correct spot because there were mounds in the way), a dismissal of contemporary first-hand sources, a discounting of features such as the mounds in front,  a complete misunderstanding of the accurate distance of the hole, and a drastic overestimation of how far people hit the ball around around 1912-1916.   Now it could be that your mistakes omissions and guesses all offset each other and that your conclusion is somewhat correct, but this would just be dumb luck, not competent research.

Wilson praised Macdonald for his efforts prior to his trip to the UK but did not mention anything again afterwards.  Isn't it possible because there were nothing of substance offered afterwards?  Unlike Macdonald, Wilson was a humble man and not one to seek the spotlight nor avoid sharing credit.

It is possible, but not proven.  It is also possible that, Wilson was so influenced by MacDonald on this first trip that no subsequent input was necessary.  MacDonald apparently helped him plan his trip and also taught him about architecture.  This in and off itself is enough to establish influence, at least absent a specific denial by Wilson or others.

Any specific influence needs to be proved and our research standards require more proof than you put forward.  The bar you set for proof is clearly of a lower nature.  It isn't because we are protecting our own, it is because that is proper research.

IMO you approach this completely backwards.  Your working hypothesis is that Wilson was not influenced by MacDonald, even though there is an established historical record to the contrary.    You’ve stacked the deck.  You dismiss all the contemporary sources outright, then ask us to disprove you without reference to them.   IMO, the burden is on you here, as it is on all social scientists attempting to forge new ground.   And you have not met your burden.   The historical record and contemporary accounts ought to be considered accurate until you disprove them, I don’t see that you have done so.  Not even close.  

By the way, have you ever read Alan Wilson's (Hugh's brother) account of the origins of Merion East?  You may find that interesting.

No I haven’t but I am sure I would.  If you lend it to me, I’m sure I would enjoy it.  But then you were more likely taking one last shot at attacking my knowledge base, weren’t you . . .  If so, then tell me what in the book specifically contradicts me.

Now, let me be done with you on this subject.

Done with the subject?  I thought you were writing a book?  Surely all of this only makes the book better.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 02:29:51 PM by DMoriarty »

T_MacWood

« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2006, 03:29:17 PM »
Tom, you just don't get it.  The Chicago Tribune gave us "Dewey Defeats Truman".  You are citing secondary sources.  You are citing sources that are often wrong.  Don't you read the retractions section of newspapers?

Once again, you're also citing aerial evidence that Indian Hiis a Colt because you've never been there.  So now the fact that it had a diagonal hazard makes it a Colt?  I think not.

Also, you want to talk about the Club itself?  Go talk to Chicago Golf and see how willing they are to lose their CB MacDonald heritage?  As you are infinitely aware, lots of courses claim things that are simply not true -and for a variety of reasons.  Chicago Golf likes the foothold they have on being the oldest 18 in America.  Others do so simply because they don't know any better.    

You've got a copy of Colt's plans?  Show me Colt's plan for the course.  Then I'll believe he designed it.  Not two holes that don't look anything like what was there just 20 years later.  The whole course.  Short of that, there's nothing to conclude except that the intention to have the course built by Colt never materialized, and that it was designed by someone else.

I've played 11 Harry Colt courses (13 by your count ::) ).  You?

DE
Your understanding of Colt (or lack of it) is reflected in that you do not differentiate between Colt and Alison. I think once you dig a little deeper into golf architecture and the history of GA you will discover Colt and Alison have completely different styles. They are two unique and separate golf architects. But that's beside the point if you want to go on believing Ross designed Indian Hill (in the absence of any documentation) and Colt had nothing to do with it (despite considerable documentation) thats fine with me.

As far the weight of the documentation this is how it breaks down:

MacWood, 5 independent sources of documentation
Schmidt, zip

Certainly no surprise to those who regularly follow this site and no surpise those who honestly understand and appreciated golf architecure.

If you have anything of substance to add to the Indian Hill CC architectural history debate (other than the your humorous anecdotes of fiction) - even the slightest little bit documentation would suffice - I think we would all be gald to consider it but until then you and I will have to agree to disagree.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back