News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Re:Original Pine Valley Blueprint for sale on Ebay
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2005, 12:38:28 PM »
Adam,

Now I'm thinking of selling on eBay the back channel email traffic that's flowing on this one.

Brad, Maybe writtng a book about it would be more lucrative? That way, you can control the movie rights. :o

Sean Leary

« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2005, 12:42:02 PM »
Perhaps there was a behind the scenes deal for even more money?   That is the only thing I can think of that makes sense..You know there was a bunch people waiting until the end to bid, but the end never happened.

TEPaul

« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2005, 12:42:19 PM »
"Brad, Maybe writtng a book about it would be more lucrative? That way, you can control the movie rights."

Too late. The early bird gets the worm---another writer (definitely not me ;) ) has already negotated that one, book, play or movie rights, residuals of every conceivable manner or means---you name it. Maybe even little H.S. Cult, Harry Crump or even Horace Hutchinson dolls will sell too!   ;)  

All's well that ends well, I guess. Don't you birds agree?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 12:45:15 PM by TEPaul »

wsmorrison

« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2005, 12:45:50 PM »
A long and dedicated effort by a number of GCAers and others resulted in the item being in the hands of those that will make sure it ends up where it belongs.  While we won't go into detail, suffice it to say that the conclusion was for the good of the current owner of the map and in the near future, the appropriate institution.

George Pazin

« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2005, 12:48:21 PM »
All's well that ends well.

Free market auctions are just that - free market. The buyer and seller are free to negotiate as they see fit.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

wsmorrison

« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2005, 12:52:13 PM »
The seller is a lot fitter today.  But all is well.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2005, 01:07:10 PM »
For those that don't understand, I seller can end an auction early, which sometimes happens if he's agreed to a deal away from eBay. I suspect the seller just got a guaranteed offer that works out very well for him considering what he paid for the item and makes it certain he receives payment.
EBay, of course, doesn't encourage this because they don't get their cut....
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Brian Phillips

« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2005, 01:11:01 PM »
Robert,

You can still do it so that ebay get their cut as well.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

wsmorrison

« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2005, 01:19:45 PM »
Yes. To concur with Brian, eBay is not getting shut out.  The winning bid was completely withing the rules of eBay.  The seller can end the bidding at any time and award the item to the highest bidder under negotiated terms that might include time, place and other advantages which would convince him to end the auction early.  

LOberman

« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2005, 01:41:08 PM »
I see another supposed original copy of the Colt plan for Pine Valley has been listed on EBAY.

Just kidding.  I'm sorry I couldn't help myself on a slow day.  I for one am glad to see that it will end up where it belongs.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 01:46:07 PM by LOberman »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2005, 04:04:45 PM »
You guys are presuming that he ended the auction because he had it sold to Pine Valley, but there are any number of reasons that he could have ended the sale.  

Dan Kelly

« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2005, 05:12:47 PM »
The seller is a lot fitter today.

Is he as much fitter as you think he would have been had he let the auction run its cource?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

wsmorrison

« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2005, 05:57:36 PM »
I don't know.  His compensation may not be fully disclosed to you.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2005, 07:12:54 PM »
You guys are presuming that he ended the auction because he had it sold to Pine Valley, but there are any number of reasons that he could have ended the sale.  

Jerry, That maybe true, but it's a much better story this way. Afterall, he does own a bar in the area, and one shoud not deficate where one dines. So to speak,

Personally I think its great that some savvy Ebayer(s) who waited till the last, to bid, got out-thunk.

Attaboy Wayne!

Any chance the seller will send Ran a check too?

Buck Wolter

« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2005, 09:12:33 PM »
Wonder if he gets a couple foursomes/year for life plus the $? It would be a nice chit to get some access.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

wsmorrison

« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2005, 09:37:41 PM »
He doesn't play golf.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2005, 10:25:41 PM »
I just have to say this about that:

Golf Architecture won today boys. The good guys won. For those of you that have a problem with it, please contact me off-line to discuss.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 10:26:10 PM by Thomas Naccarato »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2005, 11:13:42 PM »
So who got it?  I was hoping the USGA might bid and get it, so it could be seen and not locked away.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2005, 02:33:14 PM »
So if anyone wants to email me and spill the beans I'd be delighted to know and I promise to keep them under my hat ;D.

However if I understand what's being said correctly then massive Kudos to all involved. One of the most difficult things to do, is to get a disparate group of individuals to act together to achieve something for which they will gain no personal reward.  Awesome.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2005, 09:27:29 PM »
Tony,
Well said.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2005, 05:56:50 AM »
However if I understand what's being said correctly then massive Kudos to all involved. One of the most difficult things to do, is to get a disparate group of individuals to act together to achieve something for which they will gain no personal reward.  Awesome.

It is a lot easier when you have a group that ALL involved have the same goal and just as important that you have one Project Manager that can lead them towards that goal.

The team that achieved this had both those things.

Well done boys..!
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Eric Smith

« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »
A long and dedicated effort by a number of GCAers and others resulted in the item being in the hands of those that will make sure it ends up where it belongs.  While we won't go into detail, suffice it to say that the conclusion was for the good of the current owner of the map and in the near future, the appropriate institution.

While reading about Pine Valley recently on the atlas I came upon this most interesting thread in the back pages.  What a great story and great work by the gca'ers who worked together on this effort. 

(I apologize to the longtimers who may find bringing up this thread as regurgitating old news, but I think many of the newcomers will enjoy reading it; I know I did.)

Wayne or Tom, can you guys tell us now (or maybe you already have in another thread), did the print end up at PVCC?

TEPaul

Re: Original Pine Valley Blueprint for sale on Ebay
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »
"Wayne or Tom, can you guys tell us now (or maybe you already have in another thread), did the print end up at PVCC?"

Eric:

It did.

TEPaul

Re: Original Pine Valley Blueprint for sale on Ebay
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »
GUEST:

I noticed you looking at this very old thread. It was a victory; we got it off of Ebay; PV took it off of us, they treated it right, got it preserved and are hopefully going to display it really well. These are the "needle-in-the-haystack" kinda things you live for with this interest of ours. I have a great looking copy of it hanging from chains in my barn-office right down stairs. Those were the good old day, GUEST!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back