News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Re:U.S. Mid-Am at Bandon Dunes
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »
I really like my odds for qualifying for the soon to be created USGA Mid-Am for Stocky Balding Scientists Who Play Less Than a Dozen Rounds Per Year", which will be known as The USGA Mid-Am-SBSWPLTDRPY.  

Cheers,
Brad

BCrosby

« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2007, 04:29:25 PM »
Brad -

Now we are getting somewhere.

How about a Mid-Am For People Who Play No More Than 52 Rounds Per Year, usually referred to as the  Mid- Am FPWPNMT52RPY.

Bob

George Pazin

« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2007, 04:40:27 PM »
I really like my odds for qualifying for the soon to be created USGA Mid-Am for Stocky Balding Scientists Who Play Less Than a Dozen Rounds Per Year", which will be known as The USGA Mid-Am-SBSWPLTDRPY.  

Cheers,
Brad

Sorry, Brad, unless you've bulked up appreciably since NM, I think you don't meet the criteria.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

jeffwarne

« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2007, 08:13:22 PM »
So a Golf coach is an amateur, but not a club pro ? (who is unlikely to even know where his clubs are most of the season)

So if I start telling the USGA I'm "coaching" my students, not teaching them I can play in Mid-ams? (a valid point that John Vander Borght brings up)

On another subject, how many clubs let pros(or ex-pros) play as guests in member-guests (I do at my club but get a lot of sniveling-which I of course secretly enjoy)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2007, 08:15:28 PM »
So a Golf coach is an amateur, but not a club pro ? (who is unlikely to even know where his clubs are most of the season)

So if I start telling the USGA I'm "coaching" my students, not teaching them I can play in Mid-ams? (a valid point that John Vander Borght brings up)

On another subject, how many clubs let pros(or ex-pros) play as guests in member-guests (I do at my club but get a lot of sniveling-which I of course secretly enjoy)

Not a problem as long as they are +4 or better.

Pay me now or pay me later!

Jeff, we could use you and Shooter at the Dixie Cup - we're two short!

jeffwarne

« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2007, 08:28:45 PM »
Bill,
funny thing is Shooter's playing with 2 pros at my course tomorrow and then I'm taking him to Southampton in the afternoon.
And I haven't seen him since Dixie Cup 2004!
he's living the dream playing Sebonack,Friar's,The Bridge, Bethpage, The Creek, and Engineers, National this week.

I was going to try to  play in the Dixie Cup and combine it with my High School's 50th anniversary celebration in Augusta but work and family life have taken precedence.
(Having just returned last week from 9 rounds in 5 days in Devon and Cornwall, as well as hosted the 2 day MET PGA Pro-Pro Mon-Tues at my place)
I'm a bit behind and this weekend promises to be quite busy with perfect weather and the holiday)

Thanks for thinking of me though. I am looking forward to playing LongShadow having seen it twice as it was being built and grown in. And I do miss Athens CC.(and the coeds)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Young

« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2007, 08:33:20 PM »

No matter which side you are on..when that many golf coaches are in the final rounds of the tourney ...it says a lot......
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2007, 08:33:38 PM »
OK, maybe next time!

Eric Johnson

« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2007, 09:08:14 PM »
Kuehne and Whitaker in tomorrow's final.

Sean Leary

« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2007, 11:23:37 PM »
Whitaker making it to the final is really shocking. His resume is quite limited.....

JohnV

« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2007, 12:08:27 AM »

Most club pros I know are playing in PGA Section events almost every Monday for cash.  There are certainly a few who don't, but most of the ones around Western PA do.

JohnV

« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2007, 12:17:12 AM »
Whitaker making it to the final is really shocking. His resume is quite limited.....

It has all the makings of a blowout which is why it probably won't be.  

I refereed Kuehne's match this afternoon.  He hit the ball great but putted very poorly early on, missing a number of opportunities to win or halve holes.

He was 3 down after 11.  He hit a great shot to about 5 feet on 12 and made birdie.  Hardy came right back with a wonderful up and down from the deep hole to the right front of 13 for birdie to go back to 3 up.  

They moved the tees up one box on 14 today and Kuehne almost drove the green.  He made a nice birdie to get to 2 down.  Whitaker drove the green in the other match and 4 putted to lose the hole.

Both players hit the 15th, but Hardy left his first putt 4 feet short and missed to make fall to +1.

On 16, Kuehne hit an iron to the base of the mounds about 80 yards from the green.  Hardy hit a driver into them.  Kuehne put his second on the green while Hardy missed it left.  Hardy then barely got his next shot to the green and lost with a bogey to Trip's par.

Both players hit good tee shots on 17.  From the middle of the fairway, Trip chunked it into the hazard.  Hardy put his on the green.  Kuehne then dropped where it entered the hazard and the ball bounced into a divot from where he chunked another one into the hazard and conceded the hole to go one down.

On 18, Hardy drove in the right rough while Trip hit it into the same bunker he hit in the morning right at the corner of the dogleg.  Hardy laid up to about 120 yards.  Trip hit a great shot from the bunker to about 75 yards.  Hardy hit a wonderful shot to 5 feet.  Trip then hit it to 18 inches and the putt was conceded.  Hardy missed his putt that would have won the match so we went to #1.

Both players hit good tee shots.  Trip hit his second to about 18 feet.  Hardy hit his to 25 feet directly on the same line.  He missed and Trip made to end the match.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2007, 12:17:19 AM »
Dan Whitaker is a greenskeeper at Cascadia Resort in Cle Elum, WA. Very long shot.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2007, 01:09:02 AM »
How have the guys been scoring in match play?  Under par or over?  

jeffwarne

« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2007, 01:12:04 AM »
John,
I certainly wasn't implying that club pros should be playing in amateur events, rather that college golf coaches(or anyone else making their living in the game) shouldn't either.

I'm not a big fan of reinstated amateurs who formerly earned a living playing golf either (as a touring professional) or at least a longer waiting period for guys who actually made money playing.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2007, 07:44:36 AM »
Jim N....check the scoring on the USGA website.  I looked last night...I think Kuehne was plus 2 for his round.

Jeff.....A long time ago I was an asst. pro at a northern calif private club, and played alot of monday pro-ams that year.  I earned $900 or so.  The USGA gave me a two year hiatus before I could play as an amateur again.  

But it didn't affect my game at all..I couldn't break an egg as a pro, and still couldn't as an amateur!!

It seems to me that a good player, one that had a history of mini-tours or higher, should have to sit out a long time.  5 years? Longer even.

It's 4:30 on the morning of the finals and raining, hard at times.  Even with the weather of the past several days, the greens are still stimping close to 11.  

Tom
the pres

Steve Kline

« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2007, 09:23:15 AM »

Most club pros I know are playing in PGA Section events almost every Monday for cash.  There are certainly a few who don't, but most of the ones around Western PA do.

At least in Cincinnati, many of them aren't very good though. There are a few that can really play. But even 10 years ago I would beat a fair number of the "pros" playing in the am side of those things.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »
After 10 holes this morning, Kuehne is 3 up.  Trip won holes 3 through 6 with a birdie and three pars, starting with Whitaker blocking his drive on 3 into the gorse.

Kuehne is minus 1 on his card...a birdie on three, all the rest pars.

Showers and sun, showers and sun, and temps in the 40s.

Tom
the pres

TEPaul

« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »
"The USGA gave me a two year hiatus before I could play as an amateur again."

Tom Jefferson:

To bad you didn't come to me and GAP when you were reapplying for your Am status. I could've gotten it back for you in six month but it would've cost you about a dozen cases of really good red wine.  

BCrosby

« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2007, 02:02:26 PM »
You need to specify that Jefferson must pony up a couple cases of good red "Oregon" wine.

Wines from the Wilamette Valley were a revelation when we were out there last week. I urge anyone heading to Bandon to take a couple of extra days and visit some vinyards.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2007, 02:31:53 PM »
You Mah Man, Kuehne. Bring it home fella! Do not let this greenkeeper pull one of those Tiger Woods deals on you in another USGA championship.

Have any of you guys seen Trip Kuehne play?

My God he can hit it hard with a great looking swing. If you go watch him get as close as you can when he hits an iron and you'll hear a sound that one doesn't hear all that often in golf.

At one hole at Ganton in the 2003 Walker Cup on a hole that was a curving left to right 440 yard dogleg all the way around an enormous sea of gorse or whatever on the right, Kuehne let one fly about 75 yards right of where anyone else on the planet would go and right over the top of this gunch as the British crowd gasped with such cries as "MY GOD, what has he done and where is he going?" When we all got up near the green Kuehne had about a 40 yard chip to the green.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:42:15 PM by TEPaul »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:11 PM »
Have any of you guys seen Trip Kuehne play?

My God he can hit it hard with a great looking swing. If you go watch him get as close as you can when he hits an iron and you'll hear a sound that one doesn't hear all that often in golf.

I watched Kuehne at this year's Champions Cup down here in Houston.  I was amazed by the way he struck the ball and know exactly what you mean about the sound.  I find it hard not to root for him and I hope he can finish it off today.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2007, 03:12:15 PM »
Mr. Paul.........

Really good for me is $7 pinot.........good enuf for you??

Kuehne is 6 up after 18, with a 4 birdie 68...pretty dominating.
Sunny now, wind from the west at about 10mph.

Tom
the pres

Garland Bayley

« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2007, 03:19:23 PM »
Mr. Paul.........

Really good for me is $7 pinot.........good enuf for you??

Must be some of that California Pinot.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

TEPaul

« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
"Mr. Paul.........
Really good for me is $7 pinot.........good enuf for you??"

Thomas, my man, you bet it is. And if you can get that $7 pinot for $5 it's even better than good enuf for me.

"Kuehne is 6 up after 18, with a 4 birdie 68...pretty dominating."

Whoa DADDY! I wonder if it's occured to Triperoo he was six up on Woods at TPC Sawgrass in the 1994 US Amateur finals with 18 holes to go? I sure as hell hope it hasn't occured to him!  ;)

Go Kuehne---YOU MAH MAN---bring it on home fella!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 03:36:06 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back