News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re:Sebonack's Bold Move to Trinity Status
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2006, 01:29:53 PM »
Carl:

No doubt big buckeroos made the place happen -- but the sheer vision and the patience shown by Michael P (I believe he mentioned no less than 70 key mtgs from start to finish) were behind the success there.

I salute him in knowing how to get the most out of people and in dealing with the ego equation.

The door on new east end clubs may have finally taken place with the ascension of Sebonack.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2006, 06:28:14 PM »
I'd be very much interested to hear from those folks who have played both Friar's Head and Sebonack and see which of the two they would prefer and for any reasons they might offer.

Thanks ...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2006, 08:40:04 PM »
Matt Ward,

I don't know that head to head comparisons aren't more of a preference for style.

Friar's Head, Sebonack, Shinnecock, Westhampton, Maidstone, Atlantic and NGLA are all good golf courses.

I don't think anyone can go wrong by playing them day in and day out.

I'm partial to NGLA, but, that doesn't mean that all of the other courses aren't very good, or unique in their own style.

Just because I prefer to play NGLA doesn't mean that Shinnecock suffers architecturally.

All too often preference seems to connote inferiority in the less prefered golf course and I don't think that's the case.

Despite TEPaul's argument to the contrary, I think it takes visionaries to create very good golf courses.   The architects shape their vision.

CBM, Lowell Schulman, Ken Bakst and Mike Pascucci fit that bill.  Without them the wonderful golf courses on the east end would never exist.

wsmorrison

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2006, 06:50:47 AM »
"CBM, Lowell Schulman, Ken Bakst and Mike Pascucci fit that bill.  Without them the wonderful golf courses on the east end would never exist."

Pat,

You should add to your list Lucien Tyng and William Flynn or I will fight you  ;D

And while you're at it, how about Dr. Everett Herrick, William Wheelock and Thomas Moran for their efforts in the creation and evolution of Maidstone.

George Pazin

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2006, 12:22:44 PM »
All too often preference seems to connote inferiority in the less prefered golf course and I don't think that's the case.

Of all the wise things you've posted over the years, this just might be the best.

As for my question on the previous page, I wasn't trying to say that I didn't agree with you or believe you, I was simply trying to draw out why you felt a 2 handicapper might enjoy the back tees but a 6 might not.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2006, 12:34:43 PM »
George,

It's not that a 2 handicap player will enjoy Sebonack from the tips but a 6 handicap wouldn't.

It's that a 6 handicap's game isn't sufficient to meet the challenge from the tips.

Secondarily, if a golfer is overwhelmed by playing a course beyond his ability, chances are, he's not going to enjoy himself.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back