News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re:Can a Great Golf Course in America remain "Blue Collar"?
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Eric,

I meant top 250 courses in the world. I was thinking about how to quantify great, and that is what I came up with.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2007, 02:45:32 PM »
What are the courses with Doak rating 9 or better that a blue collar person would play? Are there any?

What about Doak rating 8 or better?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »
That's a reason why the word 'great' is so subjective when applied here.

I'd tend to agree with you about Top 250 in the world.  Those should all be pretty much G R E A T.

Someone who just walked off the 18th green at Black Mesa may have just said, "this golf course is great, maybe the best I've played." - I think I read that quote on their website!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2007, 02:52:19 PM »
Someone who just walked off the 18th green at Black Mesa may have just said, "this golf course is great, maybe the best I've played." - I think I read that quote on their website!

Not me!  :D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2007, 02:53:26 PM »
World Woods Pine Barrens is a Doak 8. I doubt many blue collars would pay to play Pinehurst2, a 10, or Pebble Beach and Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo, both 9s.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 02:53:55 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Eric Smith

« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »
Here's another quote from Black Mesa's website: "It's on a par with Tom Doak's Pacific Dunes…”

must be great, to someone...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2007, 03:12:03 PM »
Here's another quote from Black Mesa's website: "It's on a par with Tom Doak's Pacific Dunes…”

must be great, to someone...

That is a quote from a GD article that GD has since taken down. GD has PD at 14, but BM is not in the top 100. Perhaps a bit of hyperbole.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2007, 03:17:40 PM »
My answer to the question would be:

1. Yes, if it is subsidized by some governmental agency (i.e., Bethpage)

2. Yes, if it's in the middle of nowhere (i.e., Links of N.D.) where land prices are ridiculously cheap.

3. Yes, if it is owned by a rich person who doesn't need or want to make money (Rawls.)

Otherwise, no way.

We're talking about a game that is usually played over a minimum of 150 acres. What other leisure activity requires so many natural resources per participant, aside from yachting?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »

Black Mesa may not be a PD, but it deserves all the praise it gets. A fantastic course with a super who knows how to properly maintain it and you can play it 3 times for the price of 1 round at PD and still have some change left over.

I love PD, but there are probably no more repeats of that course in my immediate future, but Black Mesa I can and will do.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2007, 03:55:02 PM »
Craig,

With 36 holes days you can play it 4 times for less than the first round at Pacific Dunes.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2007, 04:01:55 PM »

Garland,

Even better!  New Mexico has got to be one of the best states when it come to quality golf for reasonable prices.  Still not what I'd call 'blue collar" but attainable.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »
Rich,

Your thoughts on 1 and 2 are exactly what I have been thinking. I did not think of 3, but I hope Bill Gates does. ;)

I realized that the criteria about guest rates such as those for out of staters at Bethpage don't apply to this thread, because they don't keep blue collar players off the course.

I think Bethpage Black and Chambers Bay both answer the question of the subject in the affirmative. Right now Pierce County residents can play Chambers Bay for $65 on Monday thru Thursday. I think some blue collar types would do that.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2007, 04:08:27 PM »
Craig,

At $65, I played with blue collar types at Black Mesa.
You have to remember that many of the construction trades make good money, and between projects will have time to play mid week if need be.

Perhaps the reason MI has some of the quality golf it has is because of the history of blue collar auto workers making good money.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2007, 04:25:45 PM »

I played Black Mesa with a bunch of GCA types, not too many blue collars where there that day.   ;)   A few of entrepreneur types like George Pazin who are the engine of this great country.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
Adam Clayman,

You're correct, WH is a corporation with 1,000 shares outstanding, owned by 240 individuals.

As to SH, I was told by a fairly reliable source that DY had to acquire the land for a few holes on the back side.  I think it involved # 11 and # 12.  I'll recheck that.

For those having trouble with reading comprehension, might I suggest Rereading the title of this thread.

I indicated that I thought that the "American" model might be broken or flawed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 08:20:59 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2007, 03:07:44 AM »
World Woods Pine Barrens is a Doak 8. I doubt many blue collars would pay to play Pinehurst2, a 10, or Pebble Beach and Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo, both 9s.

Steve:  great call on World Woods!  I wonder how many people know that during this time of year Pine Barrens can be played for 40 bucks, and $70 for both PB and Rolling Oaks?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2007, 07:43:35 AM »
Another course that has gone unnoticed is Bethpage Red.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2007, 08:53:02 AM »
As to SH, I was told by a fairly reliable source that DY had to acquire the land for a few holes on the back side.  I think it involved # 11 and # 12.  I'll recheck that.

I indicated that I thought that the "American" model might be broken or flawed.
Pat, The only error was in your use of the word purchase. It was simply a clerical alteration on exactly which 1000 acres were part of the DY's original 1000 acres. I believe it was the land getting over to 14 green, which might have included the 12th.

As for the American Model being broken, I'm not sure. It might be broken, but, IMO, only because the cost to irrigate and maintain ANGC like conditions is so damn high.

Greatness is hard to quantify.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2007, 09:14:17 AM »
I second Bethpage Red, at least for NY residents. It's a much more enjoyable course than Black for mid-handicappers.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2007, 09:41:45 AM »
Bethpage Red is offered as an alternative to Bethpage Black and based on what I have read on this site many consider Red close to Black in quality.

I see Red is in the price range of $70s to $80s for non-NY residents and $30s to $40s for NY residents.

My question is for those who have played quite a bit at Cog Hill.  I have only played Cog Hill #4 (Dubsdread).

#4 is $138, while Cog Hill #2 (Ravines) is only $53.  How good is #2?  Is it a quality course, so that the $53 is a bargain compared to the $138 for #4?  Or is #2 just a decent course and really is only about 1/2 as good as #4.

It does appear that Bethpage Red may be the best course that has remained "blue collar", especially for those living on Long Island.

Is Cog Hill #2 the best "blue collar" course in Chicago?
[Or at least around south Chicago.  (Also, I am not confusing Lemont with the South Side of Chicago.  I know they are of different worlds.)]
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2007, 11:33:03 AM »
Another course that has gone unnoticed is Bethpage Red.

I mentioned it in my first post. Edit (reply #25) tidE

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:40:17 AM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2007, 11:37:33 AM »
I think Bethpage Black and Chambers Bay both answer the question of the subject in the affirmative. Right now Pierce County residents can play Chambers Bay for $65 on Monday thru Thursday. I think some blue collar types would do that.
Garland

Tom asked what is the top whack.  If you an use residents fees as top whack then loads of clubs that let guests on for £20-£30 could be cited.  IMO, the top whack is the highest price charged.  Same goes for Bethpage Black - non-residents is $100 plus the booking fee so its out.

Ciao

The subject is "American"! You neglected to include the part of my post where I suggested the premise was wrong. Even with private clubs, who would be inviting all the blue collar types to get the advantage of a reduced guest fee?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2007, 12:29:26 PM »
Sorry Garland, "I mentioned it in my first post. Edit (reply #25) tidE"  I missed it.

Jed Peters

« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2007, 04:14:41 PM »
What the hell?

I've been to bandon 4 times, and EVERY time it's been affordable.

You just have to go the right time of the year.

Pebble and its company courses don't lower rates at all.

And the weather is basically the same.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2007, 04:27:53 PM »
Jed:

Like I've said many times, and others have also said, Bandon remains "affordable" for most in winter - it's summer where it gets crazy.

And I'd beg to differ about the weather being basically the same as Pebble.... maybe some days....

;)

But you're right about one thing:  Pebble sure as hell has no winter rates.  

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back