News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Royal Troon
« on: February 10, 2004, 05:04:23 PM »
I'm going to Troon a couple of times in March.  My chum, who's a member, says, 'It's the medal tomorrow.  Wait 'till you see the new bunkers!'.  Anyone know what he means....?

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Royal Troon
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 05:11:50 PM »
Mark,
Play is from the third longest box, the "Medal" tees.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 06:05:56 PM »
Mark,

I'm playing at Troon in May.  Please keep me in the loop of any pictures you take or feedback you have on changes they might have made.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 06:25:03 PM »
Where I play, the medal tees are the longest ones on the course. The medal competition is played once a month from these tees...
John Marr(inan)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 06:47:08 PM »
Yes, as a member's guest, we normally play from the medal (white) tees.  But in the winter, that's a different course - right-to-left dog-leg on the 2nd, for instance and 10th played from the low, championship tee.  But, more to the point, as the Open is approached the members are, for a time, encouraged to play from the championship tees - in order to tread them down a bit as they are used so infrequently.  I played from most of these tees in 1988 or 9 (Calcavecchia's year) and coming back, into the wind, I was hard pressed simply to reach the fairway over the carry (of serious rough) and on some holes (such as the 13th) lost several balls before admitting utter humiliation.  Mind you, there's a certain satisfaction to be obtained from bouncing a dreadful hook or slice off the spectator stands back onto the fairway.  There are one or two ways in which the pros have it easier, but none you could count on....

My favourite recollection of that Calcavecchia year is playing with my friend a few weeks before the Open.  For the first 7 or 8 holes we were accompanied by a photographer brandishing Leicas and Hasselbalds from every orifice and an aluminium step-ladder, too.  He took pictures from every angle on every hole, before thanking us profusely as he left us somewhere about the Postage Stamp, saying he was a photographer from some American golf magazine.  I have a feeling that those photographs may have been reproduced many times - NOT to show the architectural genius of Troon, but, MORE LIKELY, in an instructional article under the banner headline:

Whatever you do NEVER do this!

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 07:46:14 PM »
Mark,

I'm playing at Troon in May.  Please keep me in the loop of any pictures you take or feedback you have on changes they might have made.

Ditto I ... please let us know which new bunkers we are to avoid ... ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

NAF

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 07:10:13 AM »
When I played Royal Troon last year, along with the course guide they gave you a sheet with all of the new bunkers that have been placed on different holes.  If I recall, most of the bunkers were on the front 9..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back