News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

The Future of Golf in America... now available
« on: January 30, 2004, 01:06:40 PM »
A quick "heads up"... Geoff Shackelford's new book, The Future of Golf in America, is now available exclusively through iUniverse, at www.iuniverse.com

The book, launched this morning, looks to be a very interesting read; perhaps Geoff's most opinionated, hard-hitting stuff to date. With a cover designed by golf architecture's most talented graphic artist, Tommy Naccarato!

It should also be noted that this is bascially a self-published book. So, all Shackelford fans out there should purchase a few in (financial) support of Geoff. (Even if you don't read it!)
jeffmingay.com

THuckaby2

Re:The Future of Golf in America... now available
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 01:10:36 PM »
As an unabashedly fawning fan of Geoff, I asked about this last week and put my order in this morning.  Once I get the book and read it, expect a LOT of comments in here....

The cover does look really cool and go read the Table of Contents given by iuniverse - think this might stir some discussion in here?

TH

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 01:15:59 PM »
TH,

Maybe you could give a reading at KPIII?  We could turn the lights down low and you could shine a flashlight from under your chin...campfire stuff.  

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 01:17:16 PM »
How the hell do you find his book on iuniverse?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 01:17:28 PM »
I knew this was coming any time now.  Sounds like golf's curmudgeon at his best (and a nice recommendation by Crenshaw).

Here's a more direct link to the book:

http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?&isbn=0-595-30793-0

and Geoff's page (larger version of book cover by Tommy):

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/page10.html

from the main site:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com

(note the item under the book paragraph at left on main page for all to see)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 02:36:23 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 01:19:09 PM »
Brian,

Kinda like the Dead Poets Society.

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 01:23:39 PM »
TH,

Maybe you could give a reading at KPIII?  We could turn the lights down low and you could shine a flashlight from under your chin...campfire stuff.  

Tommy or Moriarty would be far more appropriate for that.. better actors, also...  ;D

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 01:29:27 PM »
I ordered mine.  S&H seemed a bit out of line for a book, but somebodies got to eat.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 01:29:43 PM »
If Scott's links don't work for anyone, just go to the search box and type in "the future of golf" - that got me there.

Might be the most original cover I've ever seen... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 01:34:09 PM »
Yes, as you can see, the link cuts off (not by me) at the dash of the URL.

Tuco Ramirez

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 02:21:32 PM »
I have been an author for 20 years and an ass for 55.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

I've been an ass for all of my life (this is Tuco speaking) but I've learned a few things along the way..

Albert Camus is one of my favorite writers.  Camus is a direct fellow and his themes deals with absurdity.  Geoff Shackelford is my favorite golf writer.  His name should be mentioned in the same sentence as Darwin, Wodehouse, Wind etc.  and someday will.

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face-Albert Camus (Tuco feels this quote whenever he reads some posts by GolfDigest raters here--won't mention names and a few others.)

Geoff's new book which I've been lucky enough to get and read quickly is a MUST READ.  Geoff deals with the Camus like absurdity in golf and golf architecture.  And Geoff tells us how the game is sliding over the edge into irrelevency and absurdity with Dirty Harry like honesty and directness.  It is almost like he is the truth speaking.  He starts with a "Go ahead, make my Day" in the book and it ends with a convincing argument that invokes Eastwood when he says to the real Tuco in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

-parahrasing "I've never seen a wonderful game so badly wasted"

If Geoff is not taken seriously, some sociologist in the 21st century will discover this tome and be able to marry why the game declined and why the hubris of the people running it were not able to save it.

We best all hope for Geoff's suggestions to succeed.

Finally, TUCO is NOT GEOFF NOR TOMMY nor GIB.  Please stop sending me messages about this.  I will not reveal who I am.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 02:22:25 PM by Tuco Ramirez »

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 02:28:03 PM »
Jeff, Scott, Tom,
Thanks for the promotional efforts. Your checks are in the mail. :)  

Adam,
The shipping is silly, especially frustrating since I really wanted the book to be a good value, and think it is at $14.95. Oh well, Amazon should have it up in a month or so and they offer better shipping deals if you should be going back for more!

George,
What do you think, maybe a t-shirt of this original Naccarato work of art? :)  After all, he did add some of his own touches to the original Thomas book design! Actually, just the notion that Tommy envisioned this was a stroke of genius, and of course, I loved his idea so much, I changed the title of the book to fit the cover, which could be a first in publishing.

Tuco,
Wow, I'm not sure what's the greater compliment, that you have already read the book (was it available on Kazaa and I missed it?!) or that people think I'm you, or that you compare me to Wodehouse. Well, I'm not worthy of any of the compliments, but thanks anyway! :)

Geoff

Michael Dugger

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 02:31:08 PM »
Geoff,

I can't wait to read your book.  You are a breath of fresh air.  I just wanted to tell you that.  

I can't explain how much you have impacted my feelings and education on golf course architecture.

Keep up the great work!!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 02:33:46 PM »
Tuco;

If it's absurdity you're after speaking with Rich Goodale at any time can offer you all the absurdity you'd ever want or need!

;)

Tuco Ramirez

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 02:36:46 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

I don't want to reign on Geoff's recommendation parade.  I think you believe there are no problems in the game and I think your defenses of Golf Digest vs. Golf Week ratings have been poor.  I could go back and get some of the threads but I don't want to open up Pandora's box.  To me, personally you seem like a really nice chap, a good guy to have a game with and probably really fun to have a beer with.  I just don't jibe with your archie views and views on the game.  We are not simpatico!!!!.. Please don't take it personally, the hurt only lasts a little while.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 02:37:20 PM by Tuco Ramirez »

Tuco Ramirez

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 03:11:08 PM »
Huckaby:

1) I am not anonomyous.  That is a real email address and I assure you others here know who I am- just a few. I prefer being Tuco the way an actor prefers being a character.  It allows me to think in different ways and you are quite sensitive in your refrain.  I did not single you out, in fact I was thinking of another when you responded.. But you opened yourself up to this.

2) I'll come clean when you take off your blinders and post how you really think about several favored GCA courses.  You seem to hold back as not to offend and risk the threat to being America's Guest.

3) Camus wrote, there is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.  I feel scorn and disdain for things I see going on in the game and GCA.  I find these things absurd. I'm passionate and old school.  The way the game is being moved today and the new architecture themes (ex some of the retro guys) make it seem like the stewards of the game are committing suicide.  They have lost their roots.  I find that absurd and those who do not see the problem I find to hold absurd views.  I didnt say your OPINION is absurd, I find the view contemptible.  

4) I have specific comments about the book but no one else I know of has read it so why should I put them up here. If you read Geoff's site, many of his ideas have been put to paper already. Perhaps you should frequent it more often, you may learn something. Look at Frank Hannigan's piece today about Michelle Wie and amateurism.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 03:42:42 PM by Tuco Ramirez »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 03:27:08 PM »
Geoff- I am glad the price point was of concern. The 22 and change is not unreasonable. I look forward to seeing your work. Is it too much to expect new ideas. Ones that have not been presented in this forum, before?

THuckaby2

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 03:31:28 PM »
Adam - from my read of the first part of the book, there are a LOT of new ideas, not yet expressed here.... I think we really will have a lot to talk about once a bunch of us have read it.

;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 04:36:04 PM »
It's really not all that hard to figure out.  

;D ;D ;D

PS to Tuco - I went in and deleted all of my side of the discussion between you and me.  It was interesting to me, but in the end served no purpose besides detracting from attention to this book.  I continue to know who you are, but will not reveal such as I said in one post, I do understand what you are doing and why you are doing it.  I also sent you an email to that effect.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 05:17:06 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 04:36:19 PM »
I've had the privilege of reading drafts of Geoff's book and can honestly say it is one of the most important books about golf and golf architecture that has been written in quite a while.

Geoff stands with people like Tom Doak (Confidential Guide) for courageously taking on issues that the golf industry needs to start taking seriously.

Geoff is a sane voice in an industry that needs to take a good hard look at itself.
Tim Weiman

THuckaby2

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 04:41:01 PM »
Tim - the acknowledgments and certain quotes are kinda cool also, aren't they?  ;D

I too concur with every word you say.  This is an important book, and we are lucky to have Geoff to put eloquent words to these views that need expressing.

TH

« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 04:59:33 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 05:04:49 PM »
Shivas:

Thanks

Tom Huckaby:

You must have edited out the reference to Tuco which doesn't interest me actually as I'm quite happy to stand up, praise Geoff and sign my name. We have taken different views from time to time, but at least we've shared a commitment to being upfront with our posts.

Tim
Tim Weiman

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 06:36:45 PM »
I've had a draft of this book for quite some time too and it's really excellent stuff. Of course it'd be interesting to discuss it on here but the thing that interests me most is it appears to me that some USGA folks and maybe the USGA itself are beginning to take it seriously or perhaps I should say they appear to be beginning to take Geoff Shackelford seriously, perhaps very seriously. That'd be a very good thing indeed. There's much in the book that pertains to recommendations the USGA probably should have taken seriously in the past and didn't, probably to the game's detriment if looked at in very broad terms. Maybe now they'll look back on some of those past recommendations and realize how consistent many of those recommendation have always been and how consistent they are with some of what's being said today and maybe this time they'll get around to looking more closely at them. It's true that many have said in the past (actually for many decades) that the USGA/R&A as well as the game is at a crossroads, and it appears the USGA has weathered through those crossroads in pretty good shape but one of these days they, and the game really will be at a serious crossroads and let's just hope they do the right things and take the right turn.

JakaB

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 06:40:40 PM »
Does Geoff make any arguments that can't be found on this website...if there is an ounce of orginallity in the book let me know..

Michael Dugger

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2004, 07:46:53 PM »
Does Geoff make any arguments that can't be found on this website...if there is an ounce of orginallity in the book let me know..

What would you do with it if it did?  You don't know how to read
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back