News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

More Details on King's Putter III.
« on: January 20, 2004, 12:48:40 PM »
(continued from previous thread)

Place:   Rustic Canyon Golf Course, Moorpark, CA
We will provide detailed directions when we get closer to the event.  

Dates:  Saturday and Sunday, March 27 and 28.

Participants:   We have had quite a lot of interest in this event and are doing our best to accommodate as many as possible.  While we were scheduled for 36 golfers, we have expanded the field to 44, but unfortunately we still have some people on the waiting list.  Again, if you previously expressed interest, but cannot make it, let me know-- those waiting will be grateful.     I will post the names in a separate post.  

KP III Competition:  Two teams will compete in two rounds:  One round Saturday, and One Round Sunday.   The teams and exact format have yet to be determined.  

Tentative Golf Schedule:   With such a large group, we may not all be able to play two rounds a day.  I assume that some of you will not want to play 36 a day, but we are trying to accommodate those of you who do.   However, it is possible that not everyone who wants to will be able to play 36 both days.  If this is the case, those who signed up earliest will be given priority.  

The format is a little odd,

Saturday. Early Round (7 am).    
Who:  Only those playing 36 on Saturday.  
Format:   TBD:  Most likely Alternate Shot, Chapman, or Modified Chapman.   The alternate morning format should allow these groups to keep a brisk pace.   Plus it is a good track for this type of game.
Results:   This round does not count toward the King’s Putter.  Players play for bragging rights or whatever they negotiate.  

Saturday KP III Round (approx 11 am)
Who:   All Participants.  (Those playing 36 will join at the end of this round upon completion of their early round.)
Format:  TBD, but most likely players’ choice between match play singles and doubles.  
Results:  Matches count toward KP III team competition.

Saturday Evening:   Lynn Shackelford has graciously offered to allow us to get together at his Sinaloa Golf Course for food, drink and fun.  Details and directions to follow.   Do they still make glow in the dark golf balls?  

Sunday Morning KP III Round (approx. 8 am)
Who:   All Participants.  
Format:  TBD, but most likely players’ choice between match play singles and doubles.  
Results:  Matches count toward KP III team competition.

Sunday, Late Round (approx 1 pm)  
Who:  Only those interested in playing 36 on Sunday.
Format:  Players Choice.
Results:  Matches do not count toward KP III team competition.

Note:   We chose to schedule the extra, non-comp. round for early Saturday Morning so that those who are only planning on playing one round will not have to get up at the crack of dawn then wait around all day for the evening festivities.  

Approximate Cost:

$120 for Two Rounds [Saturday KP III Round (approx 11 a.m.) and Sunday KP III (approx. 8 a.m.)]
$175 for the above, plus one additional round on either Saturday (approx. 7 am) or Sunday (approx 1 pm).
$220 for 4 rounds, Two on Saturday, Two on Sunday.  

--Prices do not include carts, which are $12 per person.  The course has graciously agreed to waive their usual replay cart fee.   Carts will be rented by the golfer the day of the tournament.  
--Prices do include an estimate of  $20 per player to buy food and drink for Saturday night’s festivities, etc.  We will adjust this amount when we figure out actual expenses.  
--The course wants the fees in one lump sum, so I will begin collecting checks via mail once we get a few more details ironed out.  

Accommodations:
Posada Royale Hotel and Suites,
1775 Madera Rd, Simi Valley, CA 93065
Reservations:  800 994-4884 or 805 584-6300.   
Rate:  $87 per room, per night.

Hotel is a few miles from Rustic and very close to Sinaloa, the site of Saturday evening’s gathering.  Rooms are mostly equipped with two double beds, but a few have one king bed.  Rate is the same either way.  Hot breakfast is available daily starting at 6 AM, and is included in the cost of the room. Transportation to and from the course is also available and included in the cost of the room.   Reservations at this rate will be accepted until February 27th.  Group Name:  Golf Club Atlas.  
Thanks to Lynn and Tommy for handling this.

Q and A with the Superintendent

Jeff Hicks, RC’s super., has graciously agreed to say a few things about the course and field some questions.  When we get it scheduled, we will let you know.  

IMPORTANT

Rustic Canyon is bending over backwards to accommodate our event.  To put it simply, they just don’t allow such events, but are making an exception for our group because they like the concept and want to be part of it.    To assure that things go smoothly, RC has made a few requests:

1.  Pace of Play:   As a condition of the event taking place, we have assured RC that we will not clog up their course with slow play.  So we will all really need to focus on keeping a reasonable pace.  We should plan on trying to playing the KP III rounds in 4 hours or less.   Those playing the extra Saturday morning round should plan on playing much faster.  

2.  Along these same lines, RC would like us to refrain from taking a bunch of posed or elaborately planned, time consuming photos during the round (for example, waiting for greens to clear to take a clear photos of par 4s.) When this happens it tends to slow things up. If you can snap a few shots without delay, then by all means do so, but otherwise please plan to take your pictures before or after your round.

3.  Attn Raters and Industry Insiders, there will be no comp'ed rounds at this year's KPIII. The course would be full without us, so comps. would be taking money out of the course's cash register, something that would not be right considering the hospitality they are showing us.  This isn’t a suggestion, but a firm policy of the event.  

I am sorry for repeating myself, but I think it important that we all understand what is expected of us going into the event.  If you find these conditions unreasonable or do not think you will be able to abide by them, then unfortunately this is not the outing for you.  

A Couple Notes on Walking vs. Riding:

--  Rustic is moderate difficulty walkable, but we are playing a lot of golf in a short time, so consider this when deciding whether to take a cart.  
--  We’ve have a lot of weather this winter, and most of the benches have blown away or been broken by the elements.  So there aren’t a lot of places to sit down out there.  
--  If you don’t think that you can walk in 4 hours, then take a cart.

Looking forward to a fun event.

Questions, Comments, Suggestions, and Discussion Welcome.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 01:48:10 AM by DMoriarty »

DMoriarty

Participants
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 01:09:04 PM »
The following is a list of those who currently have a spot in KP III (in no particular order)

Andy Lipshultz
Bill McBride
Bill Yates
Brian Noser
Brian Gracely
Carlyle Rood
Craig Edgmand
Dan King
Darryl Cluster
Dave Silk
David Kelly
David Moriarty
Doug Wright
Ed Getka
Gavin Friedman
Geoffrey Childs
Gib Papazian
Jeff Forston
Jeff Goldman
Jeff Stetner
Joel Stewart
John Bernhardt
Jonathon Cummings
Kevin Reilly
Lou Duran
Lynn Shackelford
Mark A.
Mike Benham
Mike Golden
Mike Hendren
Mike Nuzzo
NAF
Neal Meagher
Pete Galea
Pete L.
Peter Pittock
RJ Daley
Sam Seanz
Scott Clem
Shivas
SL Solow
Todd Eckenrode
Tom Brown
Tom Huckaby
Tommy

1.  If you think your name should be on this list, but it isnt, let me know ASAP.

2.  If your Name is on this list, but shouldn't be, LET ME KNOW ASAP.

3.  There are also a number of people who have expressed interest but are not yet interested.  We are still trying to figure a way to make it work for you.  I'll let you know.  

« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 09:23:34 PM by DMoriarty »

THuckaby2

Re:More Details on King's Putter III.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 01:17:09 PM »
Great stuff Dave - extremely thorough - thanks.  A couple things:

a) sign me up most definitely for 36 holes both days, if it can be done.  Do you want people to let you know about that by a post here, or an IM or email to you?

b) any help re making up the teams, well you know who to contact.   ;D ;D ;D

I'm on the phone right now with Posada Royale and they are very nice and very willing to take reservations...

Many thanks once again to all of you for doing this.  It's gonna be a blast!

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 03:13:39 PM »
I certainly wish I could come, but I have some suggestions for matchups.

On singles day, there will be 5 David vs. Mike matches, 3 John/Jonathan vs. Jeff (sorry Geoffrey) matches and 3 Pete vs. Tom matches and 1 Bill vs. Bill match.

Neal vs. Noel

If Tom Brown doesn't want to play a Pete, then it will be Brown vs. Noser.

Childs vs. Shackelford in a lefty matchup with a slight height differential.

Sam Saenz vs. Shelly Solow in the all-alliterative 'S' matchup.

Eckenrode vs. Rood in the architect vs. apprentice matchup.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 03:18:11 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

David Wigler

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 03:22:25 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for all of the work.  After two years of a business downturn, things are really crazy right now.  At this point, I do not believe I will be able to spend 3-4 days in California at the end of a quarter.

Please give my spot to an alternate.  If you need a last second replacement, give me a call and I will have a better feel for where I am at.

Thanks again,

Dave
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

JakaB

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 03:38:56 PM »
How can Matt "Roast Beef" Ward be missing this event...I be there, I be playing 36.

Now that Wigs has seen all it takes is making a few bombs and anybody can break 70...he is skipping tough driving courses.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 03:50:42 PM by JakaB »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 03:47:33 PM »
Its a great life to get king size bed fit for me and the woman who has the misfortune of buying into my bad BS friday night. I am fired up for KPIII. Is Old Tom going to make it again this year?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 03:52:28 PM »
JakaB,

Matt just played Rustic for the second time (along with other courses in SoCal) within the past couple of months.  I will be in SoCal 10 days after this event, just as I was in NorCal 9 days after KPII last year.  Bad timing, for sure, but out of my control.

Everyone can't be everywhere.  Dammit.

David Wigler

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »
How can Matt "Roast Beef" Ward be missing this event...I be there, I be playing 36.

Now that Wigs has seen all it takes is making a few bombs and anybody can break 70...he is skipping tough driving courses.

As you well know, I am one of the only 5-handicaps on the planet who has still never broke 70.  Last time at RC I had 1 eagle, 4 birides and missed a makeable putt on 17 and a 30 footer on 18 to shoot 70 on the number (From the tips with GCA witnesses).  Oh well, one of these days I will hit the magical 69 and be within 1 shot of Michele Wie in a PGA event.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 04:26:46 PM »
David,
  I would like to play 36 each day. However, if there is great demand from out of towners I am willing to give up one extra round for them.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 05:07:32 PM »
David,

My hope would be to play 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday.  Thanks to you, Lynn and The Emperor.  

I will play with anyone except JakaB.  Boy, that guy appears to be a real jerk ;)

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 05:26:59 PM »
Outstanding!!  Great pick up when it's 13 degrees outside.  Now Shivas won't be able to rib me for being only a homer.   ;D  18 saturday, 36 sunday if there is space.  

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 05:33:19 PM »
I will watch a few Green Acres episodes to get my mind right.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 07:59:23 PM »
Scott_Burroughs - Brown vs. Noser?
Thanks for the attention.
Can we hold that match at Moorpark CC to make it fair?  ::)

Thanks for your org. work David M.

Brian Noser

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 08:37:16 PM »
Thats Funny Brown Noser haha. I have not heard that before.  :)I am ready for the event. This will be my first event. how are the teams picked? in the team events.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 10:36:15 PM »
Brian, the way the team picking goes is Huckaby picks the teams to make sure his team wins.  That's how the picking goes.  Any questions??!!  :P ???

DMoriarty

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2004, 01:38:53 AM »
A couple changes and one addition:

1.  Unfortunately, the price of poker just got a little steeper.   I was misinformed as to the rates and will adjust them in the original post accordingly.  (An addition of $15 for each of the two extra rounds.)  I apologize for the mistake.  

2.  On the bright side, the course has agreed to waive the replay cart fee for those riding two rounds in one day.  (A seven dollar per player savings.)

3.  Buffet breakfast (starting at 6 am) is included in the price of the hotel room, as is transportation to the course.  

I will make the changes in my initial post, above.  

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 01:46:56 AM by DMoriarty »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2004, 09:40:52 AM »
I am just wondering if someone could enlighten me on what the Chapman format is. I need to study up on this I guess. Thanks!!

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2004, 09:46:39 AM »
Tony - there are various ways to do it (called different things - scotch foursome, modified chapman, etc.) but basically it's a partners' game where you each hit a tee shot, then you play his, he plays yours... what happens that is where the rules differ... and I'm not 100% sure which name refers correctly to which version... but you can then:

a) switch back after 2nd shot, play out each ball, record two scores, take the best score of those (worst way to do it, takes forever, requires players of high and equal skill to really work)

b) take one best result after 2nd shots, alternate in from there, with the player who's shot was not taken being the one to hit the 3rd... (OK, basically a glorified alternate shot)

c) take one best result after 2nd shots, SCRAMBLE in from there (very fun, keeps both players in the game).

Any of these can go fast and can go slow, depending on the players.   In theory they should go faster than a fourball in any case.

And one way or the other, don't sweat this re this event.  I'm sure Dave just wants us to go fast that first round... and this is one way to make that happen, that's all.

TH

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2004, 10:16:34 AM »
Tom - Thanks. I won't be able to attend this lovely event, but wanted to know how to play since it carried my name. I may have introduce this at some family outings.  :D

THuckaby2

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2004, 10:19:23 AM »
It's my wife's maiden name also, Tony - so I too am required to have at least some knowledge of it!

It is damn fun, btw... do try it...

TH

Lou_Duran

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2004, 10:31:50 AM »
Another $15!  Well, take me off the list. ;)

Is Orange County airport (Reagan?) okay if I have a rental car and plan to stay a couple of extra days?

THuckaby2

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2004, 10:36:13 AM »
Lou:

Orange County airport won't be the closest airport to where you're gonna be playing beginning Saturday morning.... but what the hell, if the airfare works there, go for it.  Burbank and LAX are both gonna be more convenient geographically, though.. as would Santa Barbara...

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 10:36:41 AM »
Orange County is John Wayne airport.  Reagan National is across the river from Washington, D.C.

OC will just be a longer trek to/from Rustic.

I believe Burbank was renamed Bob Hope airport, IIRC?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 10:37:53 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

THuckaby2

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2004, 10:40:25 AM »
Scott - no, it's still Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena (just referred to as "Burbank" by most Californians, used to be called Hollywood-Burbank back in the day... ahhh, the memories)...though it would be cool if they did name it Hope Airport, both for him and for the cool connotations!

http://www.burbankairport.com/next/index.html

TH
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 10:40:50 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back