News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Seminole-why is it so great?
« on: November 25, 2003, 03:00:32 AM »
Someone please help me understand why so many people think Seminole is a great course. I have played it a few times and have always walked away empty. What am I missing?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Seminole-why is it so great?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 05:17:43 AM »
Quassi,

The setting, general routing, individual holes and....the Wind.

I'm curious about your impression of each of the holes

Thanks

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 05:29:44 AM »
Pat

I'm curious about your impressions, for Seminole, of:

1.  The Setting

2.  General Routing

3.  Individual Holes

4.  The WIND

Thanks

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 05:59:29 AM »
Rich Goodale,

After Quassi responds I'll give you my impression, which isn't as good as Rich Little's impressions, but I'll do my best.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 06:03:14 AM »
PaT

After you constructively respond to quassi's initial post I'll respond to this thread again.  Until then, all the best. ;)

Rich

brad_miller

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 07:22:08 AM »
It is FUN to play, simple elegant rounting, fun for all handicaps, difficult for the best when its F&F. More than a handful of world class holes, great angles, by far the best in Florida, maybe the best in the whole southeast. And yes I'am sure Ross thought about the wind when he rounted the course.

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 10:49:29 AM »
Maybe you should read the course profile on this site. As per usual, it's excellent - clear and concise.

Classic discussion between Patrick & Rich. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

rgkeller

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 11:15:44 AM »
The profile lists and discussing six excellent holes.

I'd say that's about right.

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 11:26:16 AM »
OK

Having helped nearly kill this thread, I'll jump in again given George's and rg's posts.

1.  Quassi, let me be more diplomatic than Mr. Mucci.  What exactly from your experience leads you to believe that Seminole is perhaps not that great?

2.  Pat.  Do you agree or disagree with quassi's premise, and why do you believe what you do?

3.  rg.  To me you are damning Seminole with faint praise.  I know of a lot of not so great courses that have 6 excellent holes.  I hadn't thought of it prior to your post, but I think that the truly great courses I know of have at least 12 "excellent" holes, and that may, if fact, be one of the reasons they are "great."  Are you saying that Seminole might be "overrated?"

Thanks all for any replies.  I have never played or seen Seminole, and am just looking to learn a thing or two.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 11:34:33 AM »
Rihc --

Are you working on your Facilitator's license?

Nice try, in any event!

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

rgkeller

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 11:43:44 AM »
I believe that Seminole is a wonderful club and enjoys a wonderful golf course. With green speeds above eleven - several notches higher than the designer ever imagined - the course can be difficult for amateurs if those setting the hole positions are so inclined.

Without those green speeds the course is not very difficult for a player familar with and attentive to the approach shots. It is a short course and one that cannot be made longer. The challenge is in the greens and the immediate surrounds. I believe there to be a few weak holes, more than a top ten course would have.

Seminole is one of the few courses that I would not mind playing every day that it is open. The Club is wonderfully unaffected by the outside world and remains undistracted by anything not related to golf. I am certain that it boasts the least used swimming pool in the world.

CHC1948

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 11:47:26 AM »
Quasssi,
I believe that seminole is the most finely routed golf course in the country (maybe world).  The angles in which the holes are routed are second to none!  When the course is playing dry and fast it is at its best.  On a dry windy day at Seminole......well, it doesn't get any better than that.  I would love to hear why you don't think much of the course, and the conditions you have played it in.  
CHC

ian

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 12:01:39 PM »
Why is it great? The 4th is one of the strongest and best fours I have ever played, it is a perfect golf hole. Five and six are outstanding. 13 and 17 are as good as any par 3's in the world. Holes 2 and eleven and eighteen are supreme tests of shotmaking, extremely well designed uphill green sites. What makes the course great is the use of bunkers, raised greens and wind to create a complete test of golf.

I also don't think this is close to the best I have played, I still think it is a truly great course.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 12:41:04 PM »
Rich Goodale,

I'll be happy to respond to your query, after quassi has had the opportunity to provide his response.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 03:12:48 PM »
Rgkeller,
What are the "few weak holes" in your opinion?

rgkeller

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2003, 03:27:17 PM »
One, nine, and fifteen.

frank_D

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2003, 04:47:23 PM »
is it just me being overly sensative or is NOV bash florida golf courses month on this site?

frank_D / ft lauderdale

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2003, 04:57:27 PM »
is it just me being overly sensative or is NOV bash florida golf courses month on this site?

Some things never go out of style... ;D
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2003, 05:00:30 PM »
frankd,
Nothing to worry about, it's just a northerner's response to the impending gloom and doom we will soon be subjected to.

p.s. Did you ever in your life meet someone who would say no to an invite for Seminole?  ::)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Will E

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2003, 06:28:20 PM »
One, nine, and fifteen.
Fifteen? You're kidding right?
I'll second CHC1948. I love the course.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2003, 09:27:54 PM »
Thanks for all your responses. I don't remember each of the holes well enough to go thru 1 to 18. Next time I play it, I will take this thread with me.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Henny Bogan

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2003, 05:14:23 AM »
Dear Mr Quassi

You should never have shown such disrespect for Seminole.  The Gods of Golf, one of which I still talk to daily will punish you for being such an infidedel.

The routing was always easy on  my good friend William's legs, the wind is used so well in the routing and the approaches to the greens require such variety.

The fact that you cannot remember each hole individually speaks volumes about your approach to golf.

Try harder.

BH

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2003, 08:17:43 AM »
Quassi,
quote author=quasssi link=board=1;threadid=7090;start=0#msg136466 date=1069747232]
Someone please help me understand why so many people think Seminole is a great course. I have played it a few times and have always walked away empty. What am I missing?

How can you not remember the holes if you've played it a few times ?  

I'm puzzled.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 08:18:19 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

rgkeller

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2003, 08:47:08 AM »
One would think that those who believe Seminole to be a GREAT course should be able to wax eloquently about its virtues and in specific detail.

But it seems that all they can do is ask questions.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 09:59:31 AM by rgkeller »

JohnV

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2003, 09:33:10 AM »
Quassi,
How can you not remember the holes if you've played it a few times ?  

I'm puzzled.

Patrick, maybe that is why it is not a great course in his mind.  We tend to remember the holes at courses we consider great.

I've never been there so I can't comment on it myself.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back