News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHC1948

East Coast Golf Clubs
« on: November 13, 2003, 05:24:09 PM »
Can someone give me the website for a book that recently came out.  I remember that it was a profile about exclusive golf clubs on the east coast (seminole to LI).  If anybody has any additional info. about the book, please feel free to chime in.

Charles_P.

Re:East Coast Golf Clubs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 05:47:10 PM »

CHC1948

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 05:52:25 PM »
thanks charles

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 06:01:21 PM »
"If anybody has any additional info. about the book, please feel free to chime in."

Here's some additional info about the book. Some of the most exclusive clubs of all apparently declined to discuss the matter with the author.  

CHC1948

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 06:17:13 PM »
TePaul,
I noticed that many of the most exclusive clubs chose not to participate.  Where is the best place to get information/history/pictures on this matter?  Especially the LI area.  

CHC

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 06:21:30 PM »
CHC;

"Golf Clubs of the MGA by Dr Bill Quirin.

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 07:03:12 PM »
If you're looking for LI specifically, America's Linksland by Quirin is also top drawer.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 09:50:57 AM »
We have a copy of it at French Creek, and it gave me some great insights into the mecca known as Pine Valley.  It was great to see the book cover more than just the great course - it showed real people playing real golf.  It also spent the right amount of time giving you a feel for the place - the police station, the attendants, the clubhouse, the pro shop.

I really enjoyed the book.

james soper

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 10:13:23 AM »
wonderful book. to the clubs that didn't speak with the authors, it doesn't get better than seminole, pine valley,merion, shinnecock and the ngla.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 10:53:29 AM »
We have a copy of it at French Creek, and it gave me some great insights into the mecca known as Pine Valley.  It was great to see the book cover more than just the great course - it showed real people playing real golf.  It also spent the right amount of time giving you a feel for the place - the police station, the attendants, the clubhouse, the pro shop.

I really enjoyed the book.

Dan, are you referring to the original book mentioned, "golf clubs of the east coast?" or another one?

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 08:00:48 AM »
medalist;

Have you ever been to Fishers Island? Some think it doen't get any better than that!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 06:17:36 PM »

Dan, are you referring to the original book mentioned, "golf clubs of the east coast?" or another one?

Rob, it's the original book.  It's very good with excellent photos and great stories.  I'm not sure what the price is, though.

james soper

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 05:45:02 PM »
medalist;

Have you ever been to Fishers Island? Some think it doen't get any better than that!
 TEPAUL, do you believe fishers island is better than pine valley, shinnecock, or the ngla? do you believe it has the same aura as seminole or merion? interested in your impression.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 05:45:38 PM by medalist »

Robert Kimball

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 09:54:47 AM »
I got my copy of the book in the mail last week and have had time to look it over.  Granted, there are many more clubs which I would enjoy reading about (Maidstone, Fisher's Island, Piping Rock, Garden City, etc), but I think the book is a very good read.  

What amazed me most was the opening chapter on Seminole. It was my understanding (through this DG) that Seminole was fiercely private, and frowned on any publicity.  No cameras on course, or especially in the locker room.  This book has many pictures of both.  Could this be due in part to a new, "younger" membership, or was this book just an exception to the rule?  The only other picture I have seen of the locker room was in the USGA book on golf.  

Just curious what y'all think.  This can go along with the current thread about Seminole being "overrated."  I can tell ya one thing, from reading about it and seeing the pictures, I would count a day at Seminole as a chance not to be missed. . . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back