News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erich Jr.

Favorite New Clubhouse
« on: October 31, 2003, 10:54:13 AM »
I know there was a discussion a ways back about the best clubhouse in golf and everyone chimed in with Seminole and Shinnecock, etc.  What do you think is the best clubhouse built in the last 10 to 20 years?

My vote is for The Dunes Club's in New Buffalo, MI.  Simple and classic.

Jason Mandel

Re:Favorite New Clubhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 11:03:22 AM »
stonewall
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 12:06:47 PM »
Cascata in Las Vegas which is over the top.  A river runs through the clubhouse, great locker room.

My favorite would have to be Lahontan in Lake Tahoe.  3 different buildings make up the facility, all made of river stone and polished wood.  The locker room has a bar that over looks the sierras, a nice indoor pool and health club, a billiards room in the mens locker room.

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 12:12:33 PM »
Whipporwill's new clubhouse is amazing.  Classic and classy.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 12:25:52 PM »
The new one that we will be building at The Ocean Course here on Kiawah Island.  Construction begins in February.  Here's what our managing direction is saying about it:

THE OCEAN COURSE CLUBHOUSE
AT KIAWAH ISLAND

Prem Devadas
Managing Director
Kiawah Island Golf Resort, Kiawah Island, SC
The Jefferson Hotel, Richmond, VA
The Hermitage Hotel, Nashville, TN

I am happy to share with you my vision of the new Ocean course clubhouse.  It is a rare opportunity to have a newer golf course (under fifty years in age), like The Ocean Course, generate an experience that is so akin to the traditional links courses of Scotland and Ireland.  Certainly, in the United States, there are no comparable links experiences.  Therefore, the new clubhouse needs to broaden and enhance the experience.

The building exterior needs a seaside, gray, weathered appearance that makes it look like it has been in the dunes for 100 years.  The rooflines and building lines should make it appear that it could stand unaffected in the wind forever.  Wood and stone would be primary building materials.  The interior, although not Spartan, would have a simple, minimalist approach to décor with the emphasis on comfort.  The feel the golfer and guest would have is entering a haven from the outside elements.  Frankly, the purist golfer, when entering the clubhouse, would instinctively know it had been built to support the golf experience.

The cottages and guest rooms would share the commitment to simple comfort and would be priced at a mid-point between the villas and The Sanctuary ($250-$300 per night).  It does not need to be elegant to meet the needs of the purist golfer.  It does, however, need to be comfortable and display an acute understanding of the special bond between the golfer, the game and its traditions.

The cottages will come in future stages.  The clubhouse with 20 rooms will be built first.  It will open in the spring of '05 in time for the PGA Club Pro Championship which will be held on The Ocean Course.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 12:37:26 PM »
Cascata is awesome, love the waterfall. But I think Southern Highlands in Vegas has the best clubhouse.
Mr Hurricane

bg_in_rtp

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 12:53:01 PM »
I never saw the 1st one that burned down, but I'll vote for the rustic clubhouse at Tobacco Road.  Nothing fancy, but the squeaky planked floors, the fireplace, the checkerboard, the porch overlooking the 18th green, the best hotdogs in golf....you could hang out all day in there talking to Joe Gay if you happened to hit a rain delay.

james soper

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 01:01:27 PM »
adios in coconut creek fl. is fantastic. the locker room, with its cathedral ceilings, melds perfectly into the bar and dining room. wonderful men's club ambiance. the medalist in hobe sound fl. is also quite nice. the men's bar area is a pretty special place.

JDoyle

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 01:04:36 PM »
Secession GC, Beaufort, SC
It looks beautiful but it's the great atmosphere inside that makes it a stand-out.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/secession1.html

hp@hc

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 01:56:45 PM »
Seems to me the golf course is more important - the clubhouses in Britain are secondary - it is the quality of the layout that is to be rated.  You have all heard the expression - "that's like putting whipped cream on horse****

james soper

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 02:00:20 PM »
i would second jdoyle on secession. wonderful golf atmosphere and extremely functional.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 02:01:27 PM »
Small. understated...The Preserve,Carmel Valley.

bill_k

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 02:23:33 PM »
Lost Dunes in Bridgman, MI.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 02:55:41 PM »
The clubhouse at Redtail Golf Course here in Ontario, Canada is very neat. It's basically English-tutor style, set in an open area, without a single tree nearby. You play past it on your way to the 18th green, a la the National GL of America.

The interior is very simple and nice, too. There's actually a very 'homey' feel about it, which makes for a nice place to have a few beers with your companions after golf.

Redtail's is definitely one of the best modern clubhouses I've seen to-date.
jeffmingay.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 02:59:39 PM »
The Halfway House at Bob's club 8)

I'm just not a clubhouse kind of guy.  Kilspindie had frayed carpet, knotty pine paneling, warn comfortable chairs, a fireplace, a one armed bandit, a pile of golf magazines and a small bar, all with a great view of the 18th hole.  Throw in a good cheeseburger and cold beer and everything else is just surplus real estate.

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

CHC1948

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 03:11:57 PM »
I'm not sure how old the club is, but the Floridain was very nice.

Doug Wright

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 03:35:09 PM »
Castle Pines GC.

FYI a nasty wildfire nearly torched both Castle Pines and Sanctuary GC on Wednesday but they both were saved by some timely rain.

Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Allen_Rebstock

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 03:53:20 PM »
The new clubhouse at Eastlake in Atlanta.  It's a virtuall museum to Bobby Jones and sits in the center with 360 degree views of the course.

SPDB

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 04:03:40 PM »
I liked Forest Creek's (with the "Hog" Hole - 19th bet settler in front):

DPL11

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 04:52:17 PM »
Stonewall is perfect

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2003, 05:54:42 PM »
Cateechee Golf Club - Hartwell, Ga

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2003, 06:11:37 PM »
The Halfway House at Bob's club 8)

I'm just not a clubhouse kind of guy.  Kilspindie had frayed carpet, knotty pine paneling, warn comfortable chairs, a fireplace, a one armed bandit, a pile of golf magazines and a small bar, all with a great view of the 18th hole.  Throw in a good cheeseburger and cold beer and everything else is just surplus real estate.

Regards,

Mike

Yeah, every clubhouse needs a good fruit machine (one armed bandit).

Hudson National has a superb modern clubhouse, but the club had no atmosphere.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2003, 06:16:21 PM »
Here is mine.....

This is the view from the 9th tee at Claremont Golf Course.  It is an executive course in Claremont, CA where I learned how to play.  I played here from the ages of 9 until 13 just about every week.

The shack at the bottom left is the clubhouse.  It may not look like much to you, but it has a huge spot in my heart.  I still remember the way it looked, the hole-in-one plaques, and especially the soda and snack machines.

Jeff F.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 06:16:59 PM by Jeff_Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2003, 06:53:26 PM »
I like Old Marsh's clubhouse. Very, VERY fitting to the golf course-just golf. I think that all the old clubs that are in the display cases really set the tone for the type of club OM is.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JWL

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2003, 08:40:24 PM »
Doug Wright
I noticed that you said the the Castle Pine GC clubhouse was on fire.   I am very concerned about this because my elk is hanging in their lockerroom.
Can you give any more detail as to the extent of damage, etc.?
I would appreciate anything you can tell me.  Thanks!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back