News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Has anyone ever heard of a golf architect named Jack Kelly who did work in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area of North Carolina?

I need this information as soon as possible. The only information I have is 7 and 13, so I'm assuming that he did work in 7 states, 13 courses. It is also rumored that he was a frequent visitor of local pubs in the sandhills region, and was quite the scrapper. So maybe that could mean 7 wins 13 losses or vice versus.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 12:42:38 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Very Important Information Needed: The Golf Courses Of Jack Kelly
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 12:22:21 PM »
To let all know, found all of the information on Jack Kelly.

Supposedly he is the hottest new designer in the Southern Pines area, but his full name is Jack Kelly Morrissett, 7 lbs 13 ounces.

Congrats to Ran and LeArne, along with Grandpa and Grandma M!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 12:42:55 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 12:25:31 PM »
Fantastic!  Much congrats to Morrissetts one and all.

This also means that Ran was traipsing through NM with us while his wife was about 8 months pregnant...

Now he truly IS a legend....  ;D

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 12:27:02 PM »
Good grief, Tommy, you had me Googling for Jack Kelly, golf architect...when I knew there were no course in Pinehurst area by anyone of that name.... ::)

What, no third Randolph in the family lineage?

Congrats, Ran!  No you have two children with architect's first names.   I just thought that it might be Seth or Charles or Ben or something.... :D

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 12:29:45 PM »
The child is lucky Ran didn't take this to the exteme he might have...

A girl Mackenzie will have no troubles, in fact she likely won't be the only one in her school with that name.  I know my daughter has had a Mackenzie in two of her classes so far...

But a boy named Crenshaw Coore Morrissett would grow up with a target on his back!   ;D

TH

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 12:33:37 PM »
I really, really like that middle name.  ::)

Congratulations, Morrissetts.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 12:39:59 PM »
Scott, I actually thought about you Goggling to death on this one, and have to express that it was somewhat targeted that way! But who knows what some of us could have come-up with! Jim Kennedy emailed me with a link to a developer! It shows how big a name can really be of a really old neat looking course in New Hampshire! (Thanks for coming up with that one Jim!)

RJ_Daley

May the GCA board live long enough that Jack Kelly Morrissett becomes a true "YaBB god", and that he be the one Morrissett to finally bring some clarity to the world of GCA. ;D 8) ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George Pazin

Congratulations to the proud family. Guess I need to get cracking on some infant GCA t's!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

GeoffreyC

Congratulations Ran and the whole Morrissett clan  8)

Perhaps we will be seeing more posting  from the new papa (at 4 AM of course when he is taking care of the baby and awake anyway  ;D).

Jim_Kennedy

Jack Kelly, Hmm, the Morrissett's are going to be raising a little "Maverick".  ;)

Congratulations
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Doug Wright

Congratulations to Ran and his growing family. We had a chuckle about this around #9 at Black Mesa, when in discussing his family and the impending new arrival I queried Ran whether he was naming the lad Alister... ;D

"Not likely, said he...

Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

A_Clay_Man

Mahzel Tov!

I'm so glad this didn't turn out to be Michael_Kelly's dad.

Tony_Chapman

Congratulations Ran and family!! Maybe we could chip in and get him some pencils and a sketch pad for a later date!!  :D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 06:54:35 PM »
Tommy Naccarato,
Supposedly he is the hottest new designer in the Southern Pines area, but his full name is Jack Kelly Morrissett, 7 lbs 13 ounces.

Congrats to Ran and LeArne....

Once again, your FACTS are incorrect,

I heard that Ran had nothing to do with this  ;D

JohnV

Congratulations Ran.  Hopefully he'll be a better player than you and better at the rules that his uncle John. ;)

Paul_Hermsmeyer

Ran,
Congratulations!!! I hope you and your family are doing well. Enjoy!!!
Paul Hermsmeyer

Steve Lang

:D

Congrats Ran, hopefully this delivery went more smoothly than your luggage to NM..

Steve & Sheila
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

ian

Tommy, Just found the info you we're looking for.

"Jack Kelly-Morrissett, golf course architect

His name will resonate among the game's aficionados.

Jack was born in 2003 in crumpled sandhillls, and will grow up playing one of the world's purest links, Southern Pines.

Eventually, he'll redesign and rebuild all the courses around Pinehurst. Drawing upon his father's extensive background in golf architecture, he'll revolutionize southern golf architecture. His trademarks are devilishly clever greens, extensive use of native grasses, and his own versions of the famous holes of the world.

Of all the courses that bear Jacks' name, either as original designs or as renovation projects, he'll of personally supervised ever detail. He won't work from topographic maps and blueprints, but instead will direct the construction crew (or Ran in the sandbox) personally.

Look forward to his first sandbox designs, Congratulations Ran!

Ian Andrew

Ran Morrissett

On day three of his young life/design career, I heard Jack say - and these were his first words ever - "RM West".

Well, imagine my delight  :D - a father can't be more proud than knowing that his son is a MacKenzie fan.

But then today a wrinkle occured when my wife heard him say: "RM West .....better if it had waterfalls."

My initial delight quickly turned to shock  :o and horror  >:(

What to do, what to do  ???

After all, young Jack likely will assume one day the keys (and all of the debt ;)) to the GolfClubAtlas.com castle. What if he likes mounded up courses devoid of strategic interest but with a beautiful contiguous cart path system? What if he starts deleting the course profiles that don't feature waterfalls or the In My Opinion pieces that don't dwell on the ambience of a club? What if he thinks the bunkers are just too darn deep at Yale or the greens just too much fun at Friar's Head? Perhaps the fairways are too wide at Rustic Canyon, Maidstone is too short or NGLA too quirky? Or Garden City plays better soft than firm?

Hopefully it won't get to this. I have reviewed my golf library and no books in it should send him spiraling out of control in such a wild direction. Of course, if he plays most of the courses built around here after Ross's death, his head might get filled with the wrong ideas.

Anyway, let's keep our fingers crossed for the best but please rest assured - the situation will be monitored very closely indeed!

Cheers,

Tommy_Naccarato

My bet is the kids first words are a 700 word essay on the genius of Max Behr. An essay so grand that it will leave Tom Paul speechless.

Or, you know he's in trouble if his first words sound like the girgle of the name Ted Robinson!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back