News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

that tree at Butler is gone!
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »
the Feb 2 Golfweek reports that the tree short left on 18 has been taken down, with Tom Fazio's blessing

two more mid-fairway trees on the 7th were also removed
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 08:10:00 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Andy Troeger

Re:that tree at Butler is gone!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »
Having only played there once I'm sorry to hear that. The trees on #7 made that hole, and it was my favorite on the course. Those two holes might have been the two most unique on the course, but my host warned me they were likely to go when I played it (last summer).

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:42:46 PM »
Amen...

That #%@#* tree on the 18th gave me fits.....may it be chopped up and serve as bonfire fuel at the next mixed member guest at the club ;D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:44:04 PM »
Just another example of appropriate tree management!

Chris Cupit

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:10 PM »
Thank goodness. Number 7 may have been the dumbest par five I had ever played. The removal of the center trees is a huge improvement. Ditto for 18--I never understood why that hole with its gimmicky drive was so well thought of!  

Great improvements!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:56:16 PM »
Chris, You should try playing those holes with my swing! Although the last time I played Butler I carded a 4 on 18 for a smooth 93. And i actually played fairly well- just a brutal course.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:16 PM »
Chris, You should try playing those holes with my swing! Although the last time I played Butler I carded a 4 on 18 for a smooth 93. And i actually played fairly well- just a brutal course.

i think i scored worse than you Jack...and i somehow birdied the I thought very difficult par 3 8th with a 4iron to 10 feet!

i should have quit after 9.....

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
Hey I should be happy that I shot 87!  ;D

I still wish they would have removed the willow trees nearer the green on #7 instead of the ones that they did.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »
I would think that any day at Butler would be a good day - regardless of score.  At least that is what I try to tell myself at many of the courses I play.  :P

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
Hey I should be happy that I shot 87!  ;D

as Ben Wright might have said, "Indeed!"

Butlers par 5's certainly were some of the hardest i've played

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »
Why has nobody mentioned the wonderful 10th hole.How many have parred that hole in their life? I watched my player Billy Kratzert layup because he didn't think he could whistle a 2iron in during the Western. He layed up and still made double.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 10:45:26 PM »
I surprised Butler allows Golfweek guys on site..Did they change their stance on women?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »
Why has nobody mentioned the wonderful 10th hole.How many have parred that hole in their life? I watched my player Billy Kratzert layup because he didn't think he could whistle a 2iron in during the Western. He layed up and still made double.

My friend went for that green in two over the water and made it by about a foot (and stayed short of the green). He then chipped in for a 3. He also birdied #1 at Pasatiempo and #10 at Shoreacres for those that might be noticing a trend!

What do others think of #5?

tlavin

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:22:44 AM »
Like a ten-month pregnancy, this is long overdue.  A tree in the middle of a 340 yard hole is challenge enough; a tree in the middle of a fairway of a 465 yard hole with water short and left of the green is nothing short of Kafka-esque.  That tree was one of the last remnants of the old guard who prized Butler's extreme difficulty as its most noble virtue.  That, IMHO, is an unnecessary affectation for an already spectacular championship golf course.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
What you don't like hitting a 20 yard hook around that friggin tree from 200+?  May that sorry piece of firewood rest in pieces. . .

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »
I think it is a sad day and the result of letting too many buttinskis see the course.  I am even more dissapointed in the removal of the trees on #7 as the hole had plenty of room to lay up left.  This is simply political correctness of design run amuck.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:06:44 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 11:24:15 AM »
So John, George and Tom Fazio are butinski's?

Mr. Butler was an idiot to leave that tree. The current committee is only setting things the way they were originally intended.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chris Cupit

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »
Jack,

nice par :)  That course in October was hell on stroke averages!  

JK,

I wasn't butting in--just expressing approval as to what had occured.  Let me ask you this though, I noticed you did not say anything about the tree removal on 18--what that an example of a "good butinski"?!

If I am not mistaken the original architect (and yes I am not positive who he was) also had to resort to using his dozer to remove trees from the claustrophobic ninth hole because the owner thought playing down a bowling alley was apparently good golf?  I think he would cut the roots and then blame the trees demise on some mysterious disease!  

I haven't played there in a long time but it was still men only then.  Don't get me wrong I absolutely believe any private group/club has every right to set their own policies and as you know John, one club I was a member of was all male for a while but this story was a bit much even for me---it's a freezing cold October day and a huge storm was rolling in in the afternoon.  Looked like a tornado was about to hit!  Anyway we are called of the golf course to seek shelter from the lightning and notice no one from the Duke golf team around.  Rod Meyers' wife had joined the team for the trip and was not allowed inside the clubhouse during the storm!  So, the rest of the team stayed with her in the cart barn/basement!  Butler National was "kind" enough to let her stand under some shelter!

Of course at the time I thought it was hysterical but now after 12 years of marriage I'd be afraid to even giggle about it.  

If you had the choice John which would you rather see eliminated from a golf course--trees or women?  ;)

I know what my married a** is saying!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 09:33:12 PM »
Andy, The 5th as I recall is your standard 235 yd par 3 over a lake large enough to develop whitecaps in a west wind. The stretch of 5 thru 10 is the hardest in my opinion on the course. No breathers in there. That being said I would never turn down an invite here as it is a very nice experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back