News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Where is it?

No Googling or Yahoo!ing allowed.

And if you know the answer off the top of your head hold off for a bit till some guesses occur.

Cheers.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

RSLivingston_III

Re:"The Single Best Green Built in America in the Past 60 Years"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »
For the sake of contoversy I submit #9 at Kingsley
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:37:26 PM »
#7 Friar's Head.

Although I'm more partial to #14
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
Ron Whitten??
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »
I say Ken. That is some piece of work.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:52:27 PM »
This question is amazing to me not because of the question but because of an answer---Jeffwarne's.

I sure don't know all that many built in the last 60 years but of the ones I do know I was going to mention the same ones he did before I even saw that he mentioned them.

And I'll be glad to answer all the reasons I think they are some of the best---eg it has to do with their variety in shot-making from approaching them to all the totally fascinating possibilities in how to recover from around them and putt on them. I can tell you from personal observation and experience that those two greens were put through the entire gamet of "thinking things through" in both architectural aesthetics and also, and most importantly, from "playability". On one of them Bill Coore even remarked: "I think there's something here that noone may ever notice but if they do it's here and it'll work." How cool is that?

And I feel fortunate to have spent well over a half hour one time on each trying to figure out all those possibilities! As I had to go on I realized I probably hadn't even come close!  ;)

Have any of you guys ever spent over a half hour on a putting green just putting all over it with no reference to a pin just to see the possibilities of a green?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:54:44 PM by TEPaul »

Doug Wright

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 07:58:24 PM »
Have any of you guys ever spent over a half hour on a putting green just putting all over it with no reference to a pin just to see the possibilities of a green?

Tom,

Yes I have--with Ran Morrissett and the Langs at the 16th green at Black Mesa a few years ago. It's a really great green with countless pin positions, slopes and such--but it's not the green referred to in this quote...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:00:00 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jay Cox

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »
Doug,
Is that a Ran Morrisset quote?  If so, I think I know what it is, though I haven't been there.

Only once, but at four different greens of the same course:
2, 8, 16 and 17 at French Lick Springs.

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 08:22:16 PM »

EVERY time I play with Neil Regan it is simply part of the round. Usually this occurs at Winged Foot West where dissecting virtually every green will keep you occupied for as long as time allows.

In fact, the two of us spent about an hour and a half late one afternoon on the 12th green at Sand Hills which is one of the most confounding greens we have ever putt on and even with that we have come to the conclusion that it is nearly unreadable.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:50:24 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
I tried to answer the question, but my head exploded...

Doug, has someone of definitive authority actually declared the single best green in America?   ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 08:35:27 PM »
I have a very partisan answer that won't agreed with until many more come see the course...  but I can wait.
Jim Thompson

J Sadowsky

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
I googled the answer.  Thanks (won't say more until the answer is revealed).

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »
I'd guess it a JN quote.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Elvins

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 10:56:22 PM »
Pretty sure it is out of Ran's course profiles.  Can't remember the course but suspect it would be a Doak.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 10:58:10 PM »
Would # 4 at Spyglass get any consideration ?

Kirk Gill

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 11:11:18 PM »
I'd guess it a JN quote.

Referring, then, to one of his own creations?

I'll admit that the identity of the person who said this would have a lot to do with which green it might be. As has been firmly established, for instance, if JN did say this, he wasn't referring to anything at Sand Hills..........

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Steve Verde

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 12:32:55 AM »
I'm guessing that this is a quote from Golf Digest and the answer will be something geared to a golfer with average knowledge regarding GCA. That being said, I will guess the 17th at Sawgrass.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 12:46:32 AM »

EVERY time I play with Neil Reagn it simply part of the round. Usually this occurs at Winged Foot West where dissecting virtually every green will keep you occupied for as long as time allows.

In fact, the two of us spent about an hour and a half late one afternoon on the 12th green at Sand Hills which is one of the most confounding greens we have ever putt on and even with that we have come to the conclusion that it is nearly unreadable.

Gene,

I must agree. I do think that our good friend Mr. Regan is the true nut case when it comes to testing fiendish greens, as he did at Sand Hills. However,  sometimes he goes too far, when he tests the green from some one hundred yards away.

Bob

John Kirk

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 12:56:41 AM »
Gene,

I'm one post too late in seconding your remark.  I couldn't agree more.  #5 is also very tough to read.  But I think my favorite green at Sand Hills is #18.

If in fact the quote is made by Jack Nickalus, my guess is he's referring to Sebonack.  Generally comments like this are reserved for wild or severe greens, like #15.  If I had to pick one "best" green at Sebonack, I'd go with #11, partly for sentimental reasons.  I punched a running 5-iron in there, in a really stiff breeze, and made a tap-in par.  

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 01:15:24 AM »
Would # 4 at Spyglass get any consideration ?

Pat, that was one of the one's I was thinking of when reading the title of this thread. I would submit 6,9 and 13 at Rustic Canyon. There are number at Stone Eagle I could choose, but I couldn't narrow it down to one since I've only played it once. 2, 13 and 18 at Soule Park would be some others I would consider.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Michael Dugger

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 02:53:10 AM »
without googling i am going to guess the 5th at pebble
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 09:04:11 AM »
Listen Gene, it seems to me when one playes golf with Neil Regan there's a lot more than putting all over greens to test their possibilities. It seems to me Neil also tests holes from about 150 and in with his putter!  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »
Gene:

Years ago I used to play with a helluva player from Kentucky by the name of Billy Musselman. He was some player (won the Kentucky Am many times) and also one of the best trick shot artists I ever saw. One of his tricks was that he could actually break 80 on some courses just using his putter. His drivers were really something to see.

Maybe we should get Neil to develop this kind of thing too with his putter. If he agrees I'd just caution him that he will probably break some shafts!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:08:23 AM by TEPaul »

J Sadowsky

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »
No one has the right answer yet, fwiw.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »
if it somebody's quote, it's probably the 14th green at some course we'll never hear from in 5 years...

if it's for a personal call, forget it, you gotta be a weirdo to make a call like that

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back