News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

GolfClubAtlas.com has been sabotaged
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:37:41 PM »
The results are the unauthorized, unwanted, and undesirable links that some of you in the United States see across the top of the Discussion Group.

Neither SiteSuite nor I have any idea of their origin and it was done without our permission or desire.

SiteSuite is taking the appropriate measures.

These ads/links should be gone within 72 hours assuming all goes well but there is likely to be some downtime in the next 48 to 72 hours.

After that, all should be well.

Once we understand what caused this, we will take the required actions to hinder it from happening again.

Whoever did this act hopes that you will click on the links; please don’t.

Cheers,

Brad Klein

Re:GolfClubAtlas.com has been sabotaged
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
I think it's all the consequence of that rogue derivative trader in France. The global ramifications are really staggering.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »
We have suffered irreversible mental anguish due to this intrusion. We must do what americans do -litigate! ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:45:22 PM »
Ran, thanks for the update.  As somebody that had my computers compromised by hackers a few years back, I have sympathy for you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:47:41 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »

I think it's another sign of the Rapture that will, it's now obvious, soon be here.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:51:18 PM »
Well, the good news is Ran posted!

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »
My first thought was that it was sad that it took this situation to prompt a Ran posting.......

Jamey

Dunlop_White

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »

Good eye, Ran! They're across the top of my DG page too. I didn't even notice them until you posted.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »
Ran,

I suggest we round up the usual suspects.    

By the way, serious question...is there a length limit to a  proposed  "In My Opinion" piece?  

Thanks
Mike

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:17:13 PM »
Mike:

Most newspapers limit Op-Ed pieces to about 750 words. Most people will not read beyond that, no matter how interesting you think you are.

Anthony

herrstein

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 09:24:18 PM »
Good Lord!
Thanks to Ran for running a commercial free haven on the net where we can retire for some peace!

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »
Ran:

I see there's a link to a PA Golf Course up there but I don't dare click on it because you asked me not to.

But look, if you find out where it is and it's not too far from my farm---we do generate quite a bit of horse manure on this farm and I'll be glad to send a truck or two to that golf course to dump it on their doorstep if you want me to. I'll be glad to supply the greeting card to stick on the top of it---

"FROM A FRIEND OF GOLFCLUBATLAS.com"

Norbert P

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
. . . I'll be glad to send a truck or two to that golf course to dump (manure) on their doorstep if you want me to.

I'll drive. . .  or ride shotgun.  I done some crap unloadin' in my time.

Tom, the card will be from the Recycled Greeting Card Company, I hope.  
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 09:56:51 PM »
Mike:

Most newspapers limit Op-Ed pieces to about 750 words. Most people will not read beyond that, no matter how interesting you think you are.

Anthony

Tony,

I'm not interesting in the least.

I would think the historical topic I've written about might interest others in a similar way that some of Tom MacWood's essays here have for some of us in the past.  

I'm thinking that some folks here have an evolved attention span sufficient enough for reading more than witty rejoinders and college football bantering.  ;)

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 10:07:34 PM »
Mike:

Yeah, I agree that whatever you write will be way better than witty rejoinders and football scores. To put 750 words in perspective, 500 words is about 10 inches of single-column newspaper type.

Anthony

Norbert P

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 10:08:53 PM »
I'm thinking that some folks here have an evolved attention span sufficient enough for reading more than witty rejoinders and college football bantering.  

I wish I was one of those. Alas . . . I am

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
Ah Slag...it was such a great concept, but he really sold out when coming up with the "Rugrats", although Reptar was a personal favorite of mine.

Are we not men?  ;D

Richard Boult

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 10:10:29 PM »
This should be easy to investigate... The Google Ads on top of each page contain the following javascipt variables:

google_ad_client = "pub-1804863164493224";
google_ad_slot = "1742717301";

If these ads are indeed unwanted by gca, Google would certainly want to know that this Google Client is somehow placing their ads on this site.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 10:12:52 PM »
I've got to ask, who would sabatoge GCA?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:17:42 PM »
Ran, if there is an understandable explanation of how the site got sabotaged, for us computer program illiterate, I would be interested to hear what method the hackers used to invade this site.  Anotherwords, is it through a portal or something that comes from one of us registered posters?  Is it some sort of embedded code that affixes to our IMs or regular posts?  

I get so damn tired and confused with all of these security alerts, pop up blockers, spyware detectors, and virus cleaners, that I'd favor legislation to bring back torture (besides the customary and now becoming mundane waterboarding) to punish these internet vandal S.O.Bs.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 10:17:51 PM »

I think it's another sign of the Rapture that will, it's now obvious, soon be here.

I have never understood why there are still sinners amongst us that don't realize the rapture did occur long ago.  Even if we had another tomorrow I doubt the golf business would skip a beat.

JMorgan

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »

Sam Morrow

Norbert P

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »

JMorgan

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 10:27:05 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back