News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Chain Saws in the Winter
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »
I live quite a ways from my course and hadn't been there for about two months.  I had reason to be in the vicinity on Saturday so I stopped by to see what work is being done to the course in the off-season.  Once again I was heartened to see that the chain saws have been taken out of the shed and put to use on the course.  An entire section between the first and second fairway has been thinned out and the underbrush removed.  Looks great.  Evidently there is tree work on other parts of the course as well, but I didn't see all of it.

I took a walk with a long-time member and his dog and he told me how high the resistance to tree removal was when the subject was originally broached.  Not every member has embraced the  more open look of the course but tree removal is now accepted as necessary to maintain and improve turf quality.

Almost all of the tree removal has occurred during the off-season.  I think courses that close during the winter have a big advantage in tree management because they can present the membership with a fait accompli every spring.  It may be harder to remove trees for a year-round course because the members can see what's happening while it's happening, and bitch when it still might have an impact.

jeffwarne

Re:Chain Saws in the Winter
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »
Don't worry Phil,
They bitch just as hard in the spring ;D
The same ones-every time.

By July, it was their idea.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
Since I am grounds chairman, I know what tree work was done over the winter.

I always enjoy standing on a tee during early season rounds  and asking members: "what is different about this hole."

I'd say less than 10% of the time can a member correctly identify that a tree was removed and/or pruned.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:26:18 PM »
Doing that in the winter probably assure that the super doesn't get fired the next morning he cuts down trees... only three months later.

I could see that it can help judging the visuals of what to cut and not to cut.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:39:22 PM »
Doing that in the winter probably assure that the super doesn't get fired the next morning he cuts down trees... only three months later.

I could see that it can help judging the visuals of what to cut and not to cut.

The super keeps his job so long as the greens are in good condition.  Tree removal has been pitched as a way to improve turf quality, not because of architecture.  Members generally don't care about design intent or the architect's (Ross) philosophy, but they care a lot about smooth, fast greens.  Some may have been seduced by the visual changes to the course through cumulative tree removal over a period of more than five years, but I doubt that is a big factor in membership acceptance of the tree management program.  

Dunlop_White

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »
Like winter, early morning is a good time too. Anytime members are not around except wet inclement weather, because trucks can't go out until the course dries. Start removing trees on the interior of the course to avoid early detection from nearby roads or the clubhouse.....all good tactics to avoid inciting the masses.

Today, however, I think the word is out on trees. Most folks don't need the schooling they once did on the harmful agronomic impact of overgrowth and secondary plantings.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:13:32 PM by Dunlop_White »

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:28:25 PM »
I think it's a great idea to cut in the winter. First, it doesn't impact play. Secondly, the super might duck some controversy they'd certainly get in season. And lastly, in the part of the country courses are shut down due to weather, it's good use of the grounds crew's time.

And I completely agree with Bill. Most if not all members have no idea how many trees were cut and they don't recognize the changes to the course.

JohnH

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 09:05:14 PM »
Why should it involve the Superintendent in regards to controversy?  He shouldn't shoulder the load.  Any tree removal program should be approved by the appropriate committee and communicated to the membership or public.  I would hazard a guess that any Superintendent that took it upon himself to cut trees on a golf course based on what he thinks is appropriate, probably won't hold his job long.  That's just my opinion of course....

Dunlop_White

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 10:21:27 PM »
Sure tree removal programs should be approved by the appropriate club committee (or chairman). But communicating it to the membership isn't always a good idea. Of course, it depends on the type of membership -- and the kind of governance structure.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »

Sure tree removal programs should be approved by the appropriate club committee (or chairman). But communicating it to the membership isn't always a good idea. Of course, it depends on the type of membership -- and the kind of governance structure.

Dunlop,

I agree, but, don't tell TEPaul.  He likes to ask each and every member what they think, then, he likes to communicate with those members who feel differently, trying to convince them to see the light.  By the time he's convinced three members, another decade has gone by and the trees are 10 feet taller. ;D

The key is to remove the trees by flying under the radar in the winter.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »
The downside of being able to remove trees under the radar is that you, the member, have an offseason.  I haven't played in two months and am suffering from a severe case of golf withdrawal.

JSlonis

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
The large majority of the extensive tree work we have done at Tavistock over the last 3-4 years has been done during the winter.  It makes it much easier for everyone, members, Supt. and crew, Tree service company.  There is no interruption to member play, we have the trees removed, the stumps ground down, fill brought in and have it looking good by the time we fully reopen in Spring.

At this point the members are accustomed to the routine.  We still get a few complaints from the same people in the Springtime, but most of the membership understands the process.

I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:10:51 PM by JSlonis »

Phil Benedict

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »

I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.... ;)

Best line ever in a movie IMHO, even better than "leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Great minds think alike.  My thought was I love the sound of chainsaws in the morning.  

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 01:06:35 PM »
 I'd get a "woodie" if someone could show some pictures.
AKA Mayday

Peter Nomm

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »
We wait to cut the big trees until the ground is frozen so that their fall doesn't do anything to the surrounding area.  Each of the past 2 or 3 years we have cut upwards of 100 trees each winter, and I cannot recall ONE member (other than Board members who were told) that recognized that ther we removed.

Heck - I had our flags embroidered last year with our logo and no one caught that either!

And yes, cutting trees in the winter is a great use of our staff's time.

nandoal

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
Good article about the tree removal program at Oakmont

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07042/761220-382.stm

JohnH

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »
I'll have before/after photos posted in a couple of weeks of our tree removal project this winter....

Bruce Katona

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »
I have used the line in the past. " remember the bad weather we had a few weeks ago, ice, and snow?  Well we have quite a bit of limb damage and we had to go in to remove what was broken in the storm".....how can you debate the issue as we were protecting safety of the client/member.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 08:08:52 AM »
BUMP!!

Just read in the latest GOLFWEEK that they cut down the short left tree on #18 @ BUTLER NATL. and 2 more on #7.
 While they had the saws out they might have found a few more?

michael_j_fay

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 08:55:15 AM »
With the recent restoration of the Charlotte CC Ron Prichard and the Committee removed numerous specimen oaks that were impeding the agronomics and playability of the course.
Of course, they left a majority of the specimen oaks which were not cutting out play lines or affecting the grasses. They also removed a lot of annoying secondary growth trees and other clutter.

The look is fantastic.

I was there before the restoration, during the construction and near the re-opening. Honestly, I could not really tell where the mighty oaks fell, but I saw a much cleaner look. Charlotte is all GOLF COURSE and is the new big bully on the block in North Carolina.

Kudos to Ron Prichard and to Doug Buchanan and his Committee at Charlotte.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back