News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

How many courses are there in Scotland?
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »

Ernie Payne set himself the challenge of playing all the known golf courses in Scotland (when work allowed). He started in 1983 at Muirfield and completed his task in the 19th of October 2006 playing 589 courses. :P

Ernie Payne’s home course is Cochrane Castle Golf Club, Johnston Renfrewshire.
His marathon challenge meant that he played on 589 courses. All this was achieved around a normal working life, playing when he could with tremendous support from his wife and family. The following is a short explanation in his own words.

As there is no official list of golf courses, I set myself a challenge a few years ago to play all the courses in Scotland. First I sought out all the five, six, twelve, thirteen and eighteen hole courses in Scotland. Then I began my challenge in 1983, playing at Muirfield. I completed the feat at Kingsbarn on October 19 2006
For the record there are currently 578 courses plus 11 on private estates, a total of 589. I also played three courses now closed – Turnberry Arran, the old course, Kyle and the Arbory Brae Hickory – 15 old courses, five nine hole courses increased to 18 holes and ten old layout courses.
I still have all my score cards and have given each course a rating from albatross, eagle, birdie, par, bogey to double bogey. My handicap began at 11, my lowest was eight, my highest 12 and I am now 10. I’d like to thank my wife, Anne, for her support, over the past 10 years in particular.
She has given up about 1,900 hours of our social life so I could play the 589 courses.

Magnificent effort, Ernie – and make sure that you look after that wonderful wife.

For those that are interested Eric’s brother George is married to James Braid’s great, great granddaughter.

Ernie has decided to take up my challenge to play all of Old Tom’s courses as per my current list, once I have converted it on to regional maps. His new Challenge starts later this year in time to Celebrate the Centenary of Old Tom’s death. 8)

Norbert P

Re:How many courses are there in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
 His wife is an angel.

Do you know if he played Auchnafree?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »
She is a very understanding Angel

Sorry, I don't know but will try and find out

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
Melvyn,

Are there any unpublished papers, drawings, photographs, correspondence, business records, etc by Old Tom that are of interest to students of golf architecture?  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:52:26 PM by Wayne Morrison »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »
Nice story.  How old is Mr. Payne now?  He seems to have maintained a consistent handicap through the years, still 24 years on a few strokes better than he started.  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 04:06:29 PM »

"She has given up about 1,900 hours of our social life so I could play the 589 courses."

Good thing pace of play is better than in the US.

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:25:47 PM »
Wayne,

when I'm finished with the trove of material I have here -- extensive correspondence between Old Tom Morris and a "Mr. Flynn" from Philadelphia -- I'll let you know if it's of any interest.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »
Wayne

Answer is yes, there are quite a few items left in the family, but those outside the family are selling for a small fortune. Original photos of Old Tom have sold for £1,400. There are a few leading collectors who snap up everything to do with Old Tom, but the family tend not to sell.

My Aunt still has the sideboard made by Robert Foulis for Elizabeth (Old Tom’s daughter & Young Tommy’s sister) and James Hunter her husband as an anniversary present. Lost, regrettable are the models of greens that Robert Foulis also made for  Old Tom designs in the early 1890’s. Shows just how detailed some of Old Tom’s designs became, critics please take note. Real models of Greens, 100 years before CAD was used in golf course design. Hope that opens the minds of his modern day critics.

I do not know Ernie's age could be 50-60 years.    

Melvyn Morrow

Re: How many courses are there in Scotland?
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:24 AM »
Slag

Sorry, forgot to confirm that Ernie Payne did play Auchnafree.
This a course in a private estate and is mentioned in a book by Michael Bamberger called "To the Linksland."

Trust this is what you are looking form.

Norbert P

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 01:39:42 PM »
Thanks Melvyn,  I only mentioned it as it was the most obscure golf course that I could think of. Even moreso than The "Other" Gleneagles in Brora. Probably not so obscure to Scots.

I actually walked a couple of miles in, through a rainstorm, to a farmhouse with a simple wooden sign posted  "Auchnafree" - pointing left.  It was a beautiful walk, regardless of the downpour, but time constraints curbed my commitment to see the fabled course.   
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:10:10 PM »
Slag

Have not got any details yet but Ernie is bring out a DVD called ' The Ultimate Golf Challenge' which I am hoping to get a copy. Let you know about it when I have more infromation.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »
Very impressive. Thanks for sharing, and welcome!

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »
There is a Finnish medical doctor Bruno Taajamaa who also says that he played all the courses in Scotland. He finished his treat in 2000. He also wrote a book about it. The book is called "Well over 500". He states that in 2000 there were 538 golf courses in Scotland.
In the book there are small notes on every course and some nice stories!

regards,
Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 01:52:25 PM »
Thanks Ville

I'll pass on the information to Ernie.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 06:38:17 AM »
Just had a reply from Ernie and I quote

'I am aware of Bruno, we tried to meet up
last year but he could not make it.

He sent me a copy of his book.

He is very keen to find out the courses
he has missed.'

The question is are there still 589 courses
in scotland or has the numbers changed?

Anyone wanting to - no sorry - as I expect most
of you given the opportunity would love to
play all the courses.

Don't forget that there are many very enjoyable
courses, not just the major well known names. Try
Dunbar, King James VI Perth, Luffness New, Strathpeffer,
Tain, Bridge of Allan, Tarland, Labybank, Kinghorn and Cullen
just to name one or two in Scotland. Also a few in England,
a quiet 9 hole course at Warkworth in Northumberland
and 18 hole at Kirby Muxloe Leicester, perhaps even
West Herts.

Which ever course you play, enjoy.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 06:16:41 AM »
Melvyn

My attention was recently drawn to Ernie's feat in an email from the top 100 courses website regarding the top 100 courses in Scotland, which linked to an an interview with him
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 07:29:31 AM »

Andrew

Many thanks, had not seen that before.

Ernie has a web site with both his Ultimate Challenge and my Old Tom Morris Centenary Challenge. (http://www.erniepaynegolf.co.uk/morris.htm). Great photo of Ernie at TOC and the final course (as known last year) Askernish. Ernie is also, related by marriage to James Braid family.

Thanks again

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back