News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

Los Angeles CC renovation?
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:46:31 PM »
Any information from the treehouse about a rumored $19 million project for LACC?  I'm told that they're renovating/restoring both courses, but I haven't heard any details.  Who's the architect?  Is it a renovation or a restoration?  Are they finally going to bring out the chainsaw?  The one interesting nugget I heard is that they are regrassing the entire course with sod, not seed!

Joel_Stewart

Re:Los Angeles CC renovation?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »
Gil Hanse and Geoff Shackelford are doing the work.   I'm a little unclear as well since John Harbottle did quite a bit of work there not so many years ago.  I also didn't know they were doing both courses?

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »
19 million?  wonder what the assessment will be? :o
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »
I was out there last spring and Gil and Geoff were on the property so its really no secret.  I don't know the extent of the project.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »
19 million?  wonder what the assessment will be? :o

About a weeks pay.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »
Gil and Geoff are the arch's and both courses are being proposed, but I haven't heard anything in terms of the status of those proposals. Much of the Thomas design intent on some of the holes could quite easily be brought back. The thought of 5-7 playing the way he intended is very exciting if that is what's being discussed.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

J Sadowsky

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 02:30:32 PM »
Is it a renovation or restoration?  Does anyone know what the members' goals are?

Hah, I just realized this was a part of the original post.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:31:00 PM by Justin Sadowsky »

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »
Both! The North is more of a restore and the South would be a renovate; perhaps the one that GCTJ never got to carry out himself.....

As of a few weeks ago it had not gone to vote. I was told was that this has become quite the dividing line between older/younger members, with the aged contingent largely heading towards a "no" vote so they can keep playing. The prospectus looked fantastic for the South course, with fairly sweeping changes. I have not seen the North prospectus as of yet but understand that to be more gentle in nature save a couple of holes.

Sure wish the emporer could chime in on this one.............
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Mark Hissey

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:13:10 PM »
I've seen both prospectus'. I hope they get approved by the membership. They've done a wonderful job on the plans.

Lester George

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 01:05:48 AM »
I'm curious, did Gil get Geoff the job...

or did Geoff get Gil the job...

or did they go after it together?

Lester

corey miller

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 08:55:41 AM »

Not sure why it matters how they got the job together.

What matters is that the club will get a great product with a pairing that makes a lot of sense.

"GET" to me implies a bunch of salesmanship.

I would prefer to think that much research was done at the club and they determined that this pairing would be the best for the courses.  

Ed Oden

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »
Assuming the membership votes to implement the plan, does anyone know what the anticipated timing is for taking the course(s) down?

Ed

Mitch St. Peter

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »
When I was at LACC last, there was quite a book formulating exactly what Hanse and Shackelford had laid out and an interesting history on Thomas' original design.  Also in the book were some virtual photos of how the course will look with all the tree removal.

Olympic never published a book like this.

What struck me was:

1.) The new 2nd hole which will be a par 4.  Instead of hugging the trees and veering uphill to the right, there will be an entirely new green that makes the hole much straighter.  The hole may even tilt a little to the left!  That was the most dramatic change I remember from the plans. It will be a monster

2.) The tree removal they have planned will create some great views and will make the course look much more expansive.  There will be a lot more views like the one you get from the tee on 11 (albeit a par 3).  I remember a lot of trees being removed from 16 and a big, broad, flowing fairway.

Have the plans been approved?  

Lester George

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
Corey,

Not to get into semantics, but they "Got" the job, and unless you are implying that they considered no one else or did not interview any alternatives, you can rest assured that there was salesmanship involved.

I also did not imply any of your other conclusions.  You sound defensive.

Lester

David Stamm

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
When looking at course like LACC North and Geoff's impeccable reputation as THE Thomas expert as well as being a local to the area, this was a no brainer in terms of who was the most qualified. NO ONE knows GT/BB courses better. Combine this with Gil's equally excellent reputation and their past history together, if their was anybody "bidding" for the project, well, they wouldn't stand much of a chance IMHO. In a scenario like this, you just can't do any better than Gil and Geoff. My hope is that the memebership realizes that the two of these gentlemen have only the best of intentions and that they have the know how of righting the illadvised changes done over time to GT's masterpiece there. As great as the course is now, it's very exciting to think about the course in it's originally conceived form and what it could be again!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back