News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

O/T Huckaby distraught
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:10:36 PM »
Carling Cup Semi-Finals

Spurs 5 vs Arsenal 1

First time Spurs have beaten the Gunners since 1999.

The Huckster is now reciting Auden:

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone, Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone, Silence the pianos and with muffled drum Bring out the coffin,

for Arsenal are done...

Posted with malice a forethought.

Bob

Matthew Hunt

Re:O/T Huckaby distraught
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »
The (Cough) 5-1 (Cough) will be doing the rounds tomorrow ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:17:18 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »
Into each life, some rain must fall.

If there is a bright side to this - and there really isn't - this happened in the least important competition we have, the League Cup.

We remain tied for first in EPL and ready to continue in the larger competitions, FA Cup and Champions League.

But one thing's for sure, our long domination over our rivals Spurs is over.  We got obliterated.  It was not fun for this Gooner to watch.

So there remains plenty of good news.... lot the least of which is we still have Chelsea to beat on at least once again this season.

;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:18:00 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tom Birkert

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »
Into each life, some rain must fall.

If there is a bright side to this - and there really isn't - this happened in the least important competition we have, the League Cup.

We remain tied for first in EPL and ready to continue in the larger competitions, FA Cup and Champions League.

But one thing's for sure, our long domination over our rivals Spurs is over.  We got obliterated.  It was not fun for this Gooner to watch.

So there remains plenty of good news.... lot the least of which is we still have Chelsea to beat on at least once again this season.

;)

Behave! That wouldn't ever have happened if the demi-God Mourinho was still in charge...

Astonishing football match, thrilling stuff and cracking atmosphere.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:21:39 PM »
OK, OK.  I just had to say SOMETHING back to the source of this thread.
 :'(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:21:54 PM by Tom Huckaby »

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »
Huck thinks the Gunners are 'gunna win' the EPL, FA Cup and Champions League.  :o

The Gunners are gonners!
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »
Huck thinks the Gunners are 'gunna win' the EPL, FA Cup and Champions League.  :o

EDIT: Hunt KNOWS United are 'gunna win' the EPL, FA Cup and Champions League ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 05:40:40 PM »
To be honest I'd take any one of those... as would United.

We shall see what the rest of the season holds.  Obviously I have nothing to pop off about today.

But talk to me in a few weeks.

;)

Ash Towe

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »
Bob,
I would gladly take Arsenal despite todays loss as compared to the decline of my team, Leeds United.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »
FWIW, I'm a Gooner too.  :-[ (I've probably been to 25-30 games at Highbury, but haven't yet made it to Ashburton Grove; living in Scotland instead of London will do that to you...)

In truth, the astonishing run over Spurs had to end sometime - why not now, with so many of our kids on the pitch and Spurs playing as well as they did? No big loss; I'd rather save my real venom for Man Utd. The relationship between Arsenal and Spurs is still roughly the same as it was between the Yankees and Red Sox c. 2003. ;)

Cheers,
Darren

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
EXCELLENT, Darren.

I like those thoughts.  I also like the analagous baseball rivalry, and what occurred after 2003.

Some day I shall get to a game... living in the US makes that problematic!  But such is my quest.

TH

James Bennett

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »
Bob,
I would gladly take Arsenal despite todays loss as compared to the decline of my team, Leeds United.

I have to confess - the same as what Ash said.  The Owls.  Its been so long, memories are starting to get dim.  Lorimer, our Norman, Clarke, Bremner.  Pity.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

JohnV

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »
When I saw this subject I thought it had something to do with Yahoo's impending layoffs not just some mere soccer game.

Hopefully the Huckster will dodge those just as well as Arsenel's goalie dodged 5 balls.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:02:22 PM by John Vander Borght »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »

When I saw this subject I thought it had something to do with Yahoo's impending layoffs not just some mere soccer game.

John,

"Some mere soccer game" surely you jest? There is nothing mere about a London derby.

Bob

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:02 AM »
As a Spurs fan of 30 years standing (my first game was Spurs v Bolton in the old second division in 1978) this is one site on which I never expected to be able to bathe in the joy that was last night.  

I was worried after the first leg (which Spurs should also have won comfortably) that the best chance had gone.  No need to worry, as became apparent very early last night.

Made even better by the fact that Wenger couldn't admit his team were second best.  Listening to his interview after the game you would honestly have thought Arsenal were unlucky to lose. As Paul Merson admitted on Sky Sports, it could, perhaps should, have been even worse fopr the Gooners.

Then, of course, there was the fight between Adebayor and Bendtner to enjoy.  A cathartic result, if ever there was one.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Earl

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:52:06 AM »
I work with an equal number of Spurs and Arsenal supporters. The Gooners are looking suitably sheepish today but the Spurs contingent aren't exactly crowing. I think they know in their heart of hearts that this is a temporary blip and Arsenal's domination will continue in the competitions that really matter.

From a neutrals point of view this opens up the tantalising prospect of a Spurs vs. Everton final.  :(

Of course the big 3.5s (I give Liverpool a .5) hegemony over the Premiership will soon be over once Palace regain their rightful place at the top table led by the tactical brilliance of Neil Warnock. You heard it here first. ;D
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 07:21:58 AM »
I work with an equal number of Spurs and Arsenal supporters. The Gooners are looking suitably sheepish today but the Spurs contingent aren't exactly crowing. I think they know in their heart of hearts that this is a temporary blip and Arsenal's domination will continue in the competitions that really matter.

From a neutrals point of view this opens up the tantalising prospect of a Spurs vs. Everton final.  :(

Of course the big 3.5s (I give Liverpool a .5) hegemony over the Premiership will soon be over once Palace regain their rightful place at the top table led by the tactical brilliance of Neil Warnock. You heard it here first. ;D
I'm not so sure.  The most recent Premiership match may have finished2-1 to the Arse but Spurs matched them and but for a missed penalty at 1-1 should have gone on to win.  This is a stronger, better organised Spurs side than the one that finished5th two years running.  This season's league table doesn't reflect the quality of this Spurs side and I expect them to finish well in the top half of the table.  Add a couple of Ramos buys in the summer and Spurs could be the force next season that so many pundits expected this season.

Even Paul Merson was forced to admit last night that Spurs are a good side.  On current form there's a good argument that they're the fourth strongest side in the country with room to improve.

And don't get me started on Colin W@?*&^ (an anagram of Neil Warnock).  The Premiership is a much better placefor his absence.  My eldest son is a rabid Watford fan and Warnock has done very little to endear himself to them.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 09:30:55 AM »
As an avid United fan and season ticket holder...even though I live over here...I agree Spurs are playing some wonderful stuff under Ramos, abd Berbatov is simply wonderful to watch...at least Jol got that right!
Intersting to see how Wenger disciplines Abebayor after last nights head butt..knowing him he will say it never even happened, or blame it on somebody else.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »

Hopefully the Huckster will dodge those just as well as Arsenel's goalie dodged 5 balls.

Yahoo! may have some layoffs soon, but Mr. Huntley's right - that's just a job - a North London derby is LIFE.

Seriously though JV - I do appreciate the concern.  We'll see what happens.

Now as for Adebayor... that was pretty bad.  But we need him on the field.  I can't see Wenger giving any more discipline than the ref did....

TH

Jon Earl

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 10:26:24 AM »

I'm not so sure.  The most recent Premiership match may have finished2-1 to the Arse but Spurs matched them and but for a missed penalty at 1-1 should have gone on to win.  This is a stronger, better organised Spurs side than the one that finished5th two years running.  This season's league table doesn't reflect the quality of this Spurs side and I expect them to finish well in the top half of the table.  Add a couple of Ramos buys in the summer and Spurs could be the force next season that so many pundits expected this season.

Even Paul Merson was forced to admit last night that Spurs are a good side.  On current form there's a good argument that they're the fourth strongest side in the country with room to improve.

And don't get me started on Colin W@?*&^ (an anagram of Neil Warnock).  The Premiership is a much better placefor his absence.  My eldest son is a rabid Watford fan and Warnock has done very little to endear himself to them.

Spurs has the same problem that a number of clubs with ambitions to break into the top 4 have in that the very top players won't want to join without the realistic prospect of playing in the Champions League. It is a 'Catch 22' or a 'chicken and egg' (whatever the right cliche is) situation. This is probably why Berbatov won't be a Spurs player next season.

Spurs are a better team than their league position implies but the main weakness at the moment is their defence which is a complete shambles when King is not playing. They have conceded 40 league goals this season (Arsenal have conceded 17 and Man Utd 11) including a staggering 21 at home (which is a worse record than Derby).

Warnock is indeed a w***** but he is our w*****!

And I quote "But Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insisted: 'I did not know anything about it. I didn't see it.'" Don't you just love him.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:51:47 AM by Jon Earl »
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »
Jon:  yes, yes we do.  In Wenger we trust.

;D

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:36 AM »

I'm having a hard time imagining Huckaby being distraught over anything.  

Well, maybe the upcoming NCAA penalties on USC and have to forfeit all those games might do it.

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
Craig:  I do get distraught over losses by my teams.  Had this defeat happened in FA Cup final, or to cost Arsenal the EPL title, then distraught I would be.  And yes, if USC suffers the sanctions you mention, distraught would not be too strong of a word.

Outside of that though... I do maintain a rather positive attitude.

;)

peter_mcknight

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »
Let's not get too caught up in last night's Spurs win over Arsenal in the CC semifinal.  For the gunners, what exactly was their motivation in that match?  For Spurs, it is quite clear that, if they want to participate in the UEFA Cup next season, they basically have to win the CC because they aren't going to finish in the top 6 this campaign.

Besides, Spurs will be brought back to earth this weekend and next with two defeats by Man Utd.  If they insist on playing some sort of up-tempo football against us, we'll slaughter them.  However, with J Ramos, they are playing better, but, of course, it helps big time that they now have L King back.  Still, Spurs are just a glamour club stuck in the 1960s.

By the way, Senor Huck, you aren't tied on top of the table--we lead by +6 goals and +1 win.  Yes, it is tenuous, but a lead nonetheless.

Leeds--wow.  Ironic how an old gunner in David O Leary had a major hand in the financial disaster that befell Leeds (and very similar to what happened to B Dortmund and B Leverkusen).  Hopefully, they get back into the CCC at the end of the campaign.

Lastly, for those supporting the USMNT, cheer on Fulham to survive the drop or else McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra and Keller won't remain in the prem next campaign.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 11:56:08 AM »
Wenger's officail comment on alst night...surprise surprise...
I didn't see anything.......

I am stunned ;)

Bendtner looks pretty useful though, I wishh that the scouts at Old Trafford did as good a job as those at the gooners.
However no complaints..we are playing great stuff.
What great value for money at the moment to be able to watch either Arsenal Or United.
Both playing some of the best football anybody has ever seen.
We are lucky to be witnessing this great period.
The likes of Ronaldo and Fabregas do not come around very often, we are indeed very fortunate.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back