News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob_Waldron

GCA @ Golf Ind. Show Moved to Jan 30
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:43:43 AM »
The Golf Industry Show is being held in Orlando January January 31 - February 2. Are any GCAers planning to attend this year? If so is there any interest in putting together a golf and/or dinner?

Last year the GIS was in Anaheim and Tommy Naccarato organized a GCA dinner which was well fairly attended.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:37:21 PM by Rob_Waldron »

Joe Hancock

Re:Is Anyone Attending the Golf Industry Show in Orlando?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:12 AM »
I'll be there.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »
Rob, I will be there on the 31st and 1st, unless my mother has complications from her Knee replacement surgery.  I will assist Stephan Kay in the ASCGA renovation seminar on the 31st and be wandering the floor the rest of that day.

I missed the dinner last year, although I hear it was good. Couldn't have been as good as the free food I got from one of the supplier bashes, though!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:24:58 AM »
Rob:  There was a thread on this yesterday.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
Joel,

This is the show architectural critics should attend over the glorified demo day.  When I attended a few years ago they actually built a green step by step in the middle of the convention center.  This is the show where the real action is at.

Rob_Waldron

Re:Golf Industry Show in Orlando Jan 28 - Feb 1
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:54:46 AM »
For those who are not familiar with the Golf Industry Show (GIS).The Show is a combined trade show incorporating the Golf Course Superintendents Assn. of America, the National Golf Course Owners Association, and the Club Managers Association of America. The inaugural event was held in Atlanta two years ago without the CMAA who joined the show last year in Anaheim.

The concept brings together the key decision makers for golf courses. Of course PGA professionals are also encouraged to join their owners, managers, and supers as well. From a Golf Industry standpoint the GIS is far more significant than the PGA Show which primarily features retail merchandise.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:42:47 AM »
I'll be in Orlando this week as well, with Duane Sharpe - the superintendent at Blackhawk Golf Club - who's an occasional poster here too.
jeffmingay.com

Steve Okula

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
I'll be hanging around, arriving Tuesday night and staying until Sunday.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
I will be in Port St. Lucie during this time, not sure if I will be able to make it to Orlando during this time or not due to a school. However, I will make the effort to come up, especially for a dinner.

Lester George

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 02:38:14 PM »
I'll be there from 29 Jan thru 1 Feb with two appearances at the ASGCA Booth.

Lester

Eddie Adams

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
I will be there from the 29th until the 3rd looking forward to the sun has been cold, wet and windy here since August so my family tell me

Ken Moum

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 12:01:36 AM »
I'll definitely be there from 1/31 through the weekend. But I'll be working.

FWIW, this year ASGCA and GCBAA are doing a tee construction and renovation project.

Here's the Web site http://www.golfindustryshow.com/

Ken

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »
Rob — I will be there. As soon as I am finished with the surgery on Jeff's mother's knee (my side job: knee replacement surgeon) I plan on flying in for a few days. I missed last year's dinner, which was regretted — except that it lowered my insurance premiums for 2008, of which I am grateful.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
I'll be there 1/30 to 2/1 (and then on to Disney with the wife and kids).

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 05:20:07 PM »
Admit it Clyde — you are addicted to the Pirates of the Caribbean.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »
Actually, I like the Buzz Lightyear attraction so I can help battle the evil emperor Zurg! ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »
I will be there for a few days signing my book "Old Dead Guys I Have Met While Sleeping".  I just don't know which booth I will be in.   Probably one of those that has a big bowl of the little bite size Snicker Bars. ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
I will be there for a few days signing my book "Old Dead Guys I Have Met While Sleeping".  I just don't know which booth I will be in.   Probably one of those that has a big bowl of the little bite size Snicker Bars. ;D ;D

Set up shop in some booth on the club managers side of the show.....free wine.....then I'll come visit and sign your book for ya.

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

paul cowley

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 08:16:44 PM »
Admit it Clyde — you are addicted to the Pirates of the Caribbean.

....I just got a little gimpy because my freshman in college son used to get so excited about seeing the "Carrots of the Pirabean". ;)

I might be there....not sure yet.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
Rob — I will be there. As soon as I am finished with the surgery on Jeff's mother's knee........

Rumor has it that she will be standing up! Forrest wanted to other types of surgery, but wasn't tall enough...... ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 10:20:56 PM »
I'll be there also siging the book on Friday and would love to get together Friday or Saturday night.  I'll have my boy with me (he's four, and loves Southern Pines CC).  We were going to Disney before to see the Pirates of the Carribean assist Forrest on Jeff's Mother.  Can't wait.  

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »
Rather than start a new thread...

Will anyone be around Orlando on Jan. 30th, (Weds. evening) without any plans yet?

Joe

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 05:01:35 PM »
Joe,

Further to our telephone conversation last week, I'll be in Orlando the entire conference week... no plans for Wednesday as yet, and it'll be good to see you down there (in warm weather)!

Where should we meet... this includes other GCA members who'll be there?
jeffmingay.com

Joe Hancock

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 05:18:39 PM »
Jeff,

I am planning on meeting with one GCA'er (famous, well loved superintendent  ;D) and would like to know if others would care to join in. Options for dinner are many, and we can decide what's best based on how much interest we get for this date.

I hope you are available!

Joe

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »
I'm an admirer of famous, well loved superintendents, Joe! Sounds good.

Hopefully others will jump in here with some ideas re where to meet, and I'll do my best to join the group. If not, I'll settle for you and your famous friend!
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back