News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Do you believe this?
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »
Found this quote.

"When I first took up journalism, my kind but stern mentor laid down the principle that if my grandmother couldn't understand what I was writing about, it was a lousy piece of composition. I've come to carry this along into golf architecture. If my grandma can't play it, it's a lousy course."

Peter Thomson

I can't believe anyone would say this.  I guess we need to plow Pine Valley under and grow potatoes at Royal County Down.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andrew Summerell

Re:Do you believe this?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Tommy,

You won’t find much love for Peter Thomson courses from me. Obviously, his grandma preferred every course to look the same with very little strategy.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »
I heard Peter Jacobson say the exact same thing last year.  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:06:30 PM »
Tommy,
I believe Mackenzie once said that he thought any good golf hole should be able to be played with only a putter.  Maybe your grandma has read Mackenzie  ;D

Also, don't forget that Pine Valley was only designed for grandmas with +2 handicaps  ;)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:12:45 PM »
Tommy and Andrew,

With respect, I would hazard a guess that Peter Thomson knows more about the history of golf, architecture and the playing of the game than 99.00% of the contributors to this forum.

Andrew, how many Thomson courses have you played?

Bob

Ken Moum

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:19:22 PM »
Mackenzie once said that he thought any good golf hole should be able to be played with only a putter.

What he said.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
Tommy,
I believe Mackenzie once said that he thought any good golf hole should be able to be played with only a putter.  Maybe your grandma has read Mackenzie  ;D

Also, don't forget that Pine Valley was only designed for grandmas with +2 handicaps  ;)

I guess dear old Alister could really smash his putter.  15 and 16 at Cypress would be tough with a putter.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
Tommy and Andrew,

With respect, I would hazard a guess that Peter Thomson knows more about the history of golf, architecture and the playing of the game than 99.00% of the contributors to this forum.

Bob

Bob, you are probably right about his knowledge.  But that has nothing to do with whether or not we agree or if it is even true.  It is just a nice sentiment.
St. John of the Cross

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »
Tommy
Where is the quote from?
Neil

Ken Moum

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 11:50:16 PM »
Tommy,

I guess dear old Alister could really smash his putter.  15 and 16 at Cypress would be tough with a putter.

He actually made the statement about #16 at Cypress Point. The story is on p. 137 of Spirit of St. Andrews.

What he said was, "I don't think an ideal hole is ideal unless it can be played with a putter...:

It's one of my favorite quotes about GCA.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »
Tommy
Where is the quote from?
Neil

One of the places is The Ultimate Golf Book by by Charles McGrath, David McCormick, John Garrity
St. John of the Cross

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 12:01:20 AM »

Off the top of my head, I’ve played 10 courses designed by his company.

Hope Island
Tura Beach
Bali Handara
National Ocean
Moonah Link Open
Moonah Links Legend
Camden Lakeside
Sandhurst
Sea temple
Twin Waters

Plus a few where he is the architectural consultant like Royal Adelaide, where he has made quite a few changes over the last few years.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »
I forgot to add -

Alice Springs
Darwin

So, it's 12 Thomson courses I've played.

Chris Kane

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 01:10:24 AM »
How many have you played Bob?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 02:06:11 AM »
I love my grandmother dearly, and she is a highly intelligent woman (achieving high marks while earning her degree from the University of Minnesota during the depression).

That being said, she has a poor grasp of the modern American vernacular, and as such she misses the subtle humors and plot devices of many artistic endeavors. Hence, I would be bored to death by any book, movie or golf course that was simplified enough that she would comprehend every important aspect of its design.

Isn't the greatness of TOC imparted by the infinite subtleties that make every round there a learning experience? If grandma gets the whole message after one play, I'll just have her relay the gist of her experience to me and save myself the substantial greens fee.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 02:07:20 AM »
Andrew,

Surprised you havent played Thurgoona, Yarrawonga, Royal Canberra or Port Douglas.  Here I was thinking you were well-travelled.  :)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

James Bennett

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 02:13:52 AM »
David

or the 7th at Spring Valley.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Brad Klein

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 03:10:23 AM »
I've played four or five Thomson courses. All of them leave me with the same impression.

He'll be remembered for being a great golfer and a fine writer.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 03:36:20 AM »
Andrew,

Surprised you havent played Thurgoona, Yarrawonga, Royal Canberra or Port Douglas.  Here I was thinking you were well-travelled.  :)

I have played Royal Canberra, but not the 3rd nine.

I forgot about Yarrawonga. There you go! I played 13.

David_Elvins

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 04:22:54 AM »
Found this quote.

"When I first took up journalism, my kind but stern mentor laid down the principle that if my grandmother couldn't understand what I was writing about, it was a lousy piece of composition. I've come to carry this along into golf architecture. If my grandma can't play it, it's a lousy course."

Peter Thomson

I can't believe anyone would say this.  I guess we need to plow Pine Valley under and grow potatoes at Royal County Down.

Tommy,

I enjoy Peter Thomson's writing more often than not but there is no doubt that (like many good writers), he has quite a provocative nature.  If you take the tone of the quote, rather than the absolute literal interpretation, it is a point that I generally agree with.   Although I havent played Pine Valley, courses such as Royal Melbourne, Augusta and TOC are closer to the "ideal course" in my mind.  

Take out the word "lousy", is it a comment that you agree with or have any sympathy for?  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 08:24:55 AM »
Kelly,
I only have experience with one of his courses which is nothing so I would go by what some of the others here think who have seen more.   I could show you photos and let you draw your own conclusions but I don't intend to do that.  His other work might be very good for all I know.  What have you seen that he has done?
Mark

Michael Powers

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 09:04:33 AM »
Wow, having not played a Stanley Thompson course, I thought many here placed him in high esteem.  Does this mean he going to be panned along with Rees, Faxio, and Nicklaus?
HP

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 09:07:12 AM »
Wow, having not played a Stanley Thompson course, I thought many here placed him in high esteem.  Does this mean he going to be panned along with Rees, Faxio, and Nicklaus?

Just by writers, critics and restoration experts.  Used to be only writers made stuff up.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 09:15:34 AM »
Michael Powers, Did you intentionally substitute Stanley Thompson for Peter Thomson for comedic relief?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
I like the quote.  I always think about how my mom would get around a course that I'm building, and I'm guessing Thomson's grandma was probably a better player than my mom.

As to the comments on his work -- where does it say that you have to be a great architect in order to say something important about design?  If that were true this site would be a lot less populated.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back