News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Chris Kane

Did GCA jump the shark with Sebonack?
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »
In the early days, Jack Nicklaus was the subject of scorn on Golfclubatlas.  He was golf architecture's equivalent of France, and very few took his work seriously.

Then he signed on with Tom Doak (GCA's golden boy who can do no wrong, even when he's wrong) to build Sebonack, and perception changed.  Almost overnight, people were talking about the "improvement in his recent work", etc etc.

Was this the moment that golfclubatlas.com jumped the shark?  The moment when it became clear that what people say is as much personality-driven as architecture-driven?

Tom Huckaby

Re:Did GCA jump the shark with Sebonack?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:58:20 PM »
If that were all true, then hell yes this website has jumped the shark.

I just don't see it as being true.  Most here still hate Nicklaus'
work.

No?

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »
"In the early days, Jack Nicklaus was the subject of scorn on Golfclubatlas.  He was golf architecture's equivalent of France, and very few took his work seriously."

Chris:

That is an analogy I don't understand at all no matter who many different ways I try to cast or consider it.

I'm not much of a fan of the French in some ways but I'd think any historian with half a brain would most certainly have to take both France and its history very seriously indeed!

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 06:17:44 PM »
Chris:

Furthermore, I've never had any scorn for Jack Nicklaus's architecture in any phase of the interesting and altering phases of his quite long career in architecture.

I think he brought some pretty unique and important aspects and ideas to the entire evolution of golf course architecture.

The only thing that is sometimes a bit off-putting about Nicklaus to me is the extent of his not particularly well hidden mammouth ego.

But I guess a guy would probably not have reached the heights in golf or architecture that he did without that!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 06:18:59 PM by TEPaul »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »
Chris,
I'm curious where you have drawn such a conclusion or is this simply your own opinion  ???  
Mark

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »
When Jack built Dismal River and didn't go play Sand Hills, it pretty much destoyed his creditability with this crowd.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
When Jack built Dismal River and didn't go play Sand Hills, it pretty much destoyed his creditability with this crowd.

I don't know why it would, he probably just couldn't get access!!   ;D

On a side note though, I was under the impression Jack was first on to the project and Tom Doak came on afterwards.  I suppose Jack could have objected, but likely would have already had a contract in place to build Sebonack.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »
Upon seeing this thread on January 3, one of my fond hopes for this web site in 2008 is that the moderators will henceforth terminate with extreme prejudice any thread containing the phrase "jump the shark."

Chris Kane,
If I understand correctly--and I admittedly may not as the phrase has become over- and ineptly-used to the point of being meaningless--the phrase "jump the shark" was originally coined to describe ill-conceived attempts to revive a petered-out television show with bizarre plot developments or character changes.    Certainly this little community has a goodly number of bizarre plots, but if you are suggesting that a changing view of Mr. Nicklaus' work, or a softening of the views around here toward Mr. Nicklaus because of his success in working with Mr. Doak somehow means that we have reached a peak and are now on the verge of extinguishing Everything That is Good About Golfclubatlas, then I wholeheartedly disagree.  Even if views have softened toward Mr. Nicklaus, stuff happens and opinions evolve, and what of it?  

If that's not what you're trying to say, please illuminate those of us who are not quite hip enough to appreciate the phrase "jump the shark."

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 06:50:01 PM »
Upon seeing this thread on January 3, one of my fond hopes for this web site in 2008 is that the moderators will henceforth terminate with extreme prejudice any thread containing the phrase "jump the shark."

...and ditto to any thread containing the phrase 'terminate with extreme prejudice' presumably?

The WORD you are looking for is DELETE.

You're welcome.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Chris Kane

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »
That is an analogy I don't understand at all no matter who many different ways I try to cast or consider it.

Tom, France is the nation Americans love to hate.

I'm curious where you have drawn such a conclusion or is this simply your own opinion  ???  

What are you accusing me of?

If that's not what you're trying to say, please illuminate those of us who are not quite hip enough to appreciate the phrase "jump the shark."

"Jump the shark" was first used here almost four years ago, and has been used regularly since by those who yearn for the good old days.  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »
Chris,
I was just curious if it was your own opinion of Nicklaus that has changed?  Mine has not.  I still judge each Nicklaus course as I see it and with an open mind.  Furthermore, if my opinion does change, it will take seeing a lot more than just of few of his golf courses post Sebonack.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »
Many around here raved about Mayacama long before Sebonack was built.

Starting threads like this only goes towards promoting the very hypocrisy you claim has been committed here.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »
i would have thought that many here would state that they felt Jack has produced much better designs recently, such as Mayacama as Huck says, Concession, Cabo Del Sol, and yes Sebonack, etc
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
The WORD you are looking for is DELETE.

You're welcome.

Thanks, Martin, you're right, another over-used phrase.  But I was looking for something stronger than "delete" and expletives are frowned upon.

"Jump the shark" was first used here almost four years ago, and has been used regularly since by those who yearn for the good old days.  
 This response doesn't really illuminate your views of the web site, its participants, Nicklaus or Doak, but thanks anyway.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »

Chris,
Has his work changed?
It seems to me as if there has been a tonal shift to his work.
At his own admission he says his courses less reflect his game and more the masses.

Are you sure it wasn't GCA that changed Nicklaus?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Has Nicklaus's "style" changed over the years? Read Ran's review of the May River Course at Palmetto Bluff and see what you think about one of Nicklaus's new designs:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/mayriver1.html

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »
I don't entirely understand the concept of "jumping the shark", and I hope I never do.

I do agree that the attitude toward Jack's work on this board has changed somewhat over the past 5 years, and even more so after Sebonack.  I am somewhat tired of hearing that his work changed "because of" Sebonack ... I think he was starting to evolve away from his earlier style a bit before we met, anyway, and if he is building things differently post-Sebonack it's because HE wants to, not because of my input.

Mostly, though, I just came on here to correct Kalen:

Jack's company did start looking at the maps for Sebonack before I ever heard about it, but they weren't under contract when Mark Hissey called me -- that's the first question I asked him, because I didn't want to be accused of "poaching."  After I'd worked on the routing, I signed an agreement with Mr. Pascucci to allow him to use my routing, and then Jack and I met with Michael to discuss working together on the project.  If anyone has represented it differently, they just weren't in possession of all the facts.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 09:12:59 PM »
Tom,

I stand corrected, I need to watch my Sebonack video again to get the details right!  ;D

Anthony Butler

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 11:03:28 PM »

At his own admission he says his courses less reflect his game and more the masses.

Maybe his courses still reflect his game. Just his game as a 67 year old who plays about 12 rounds a year-which sounds more like the masses than a guy who won 18 majors.

Next!

Michael Christensen

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 12:02:36 AM »
I take offense with the premise Americans hate France......we saved their country in WWII if you forgot

I don't see much Nicklaus bashing compared to the Fazio and Rees bashing that goes on continuously.....

Mark_F

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 12:41:07 AM »
Chris,

Were you stoned last night, or just drunk?

And the evidence for this would be?

Personally, I would have thought Americans hate Australia as much as the French, and for much the same reason; our women are better looking, and we have sex with them more often.

Michael Robin

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 01:02:43 AM »
Tom D.

Late in the run of the TV Show "Happy Days" when the ratings were dwindling and the show needed a little something to spice it up, the Producers crafted a very "dramatic" episode where the Fonz was going to jump his bike over a shark tank. This stunt was thought to have been a good idea to create interest in whether or not Fonzie would make it or not, but the false jeopardy in the scene actually marked the beginning of the end of the show. It was the moment when it became clear that there were no more good ideas left in the concept and it should be put to rest. That's Hollywood's definition of when something or someone has "Jumped the Shark".

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 02:53:11 AM »

Personally, I would have thought Americans hate Australia as much as the French, and for much the same reason; our women are better looking, and we have sex with them more often.

Mark, I think you better supply some photographic proof of the first part of your claim.  

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 05:31:33 AM »
Chris,

Were you stoned last night, or just drunk?

And the evidence for this would be?

Mark

I want to see photographic evidence as well.  The women may or may not have clothes on.

I know the US has a load immigrants, but there didn't get to be some 300 million of us without some sex going on.  

Without a doubt France has become the recent whipping boy for a load of Americans.  The problem is, Americans don't believe anybody should say NO to them.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 07:43:47 AM »

Without a doubt France has become the recent whipping boy for a load of Americans.  The problem is, Americans don't believe anybody should say NO to them.

That will no doubt owe at least something to the fine example set by the last 5 UK administrations,which have steadfastly refused to contemplate saying no to the US.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back