News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Mucci and Huckaby.... Surrounds
« on: December 22, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Which one would suffer most in the "Great" category sans the ocean.

Black marking pens at the ready.

Bob

The tenth, originally by Raynor in 1925  but I do believe some extras by Hunter and peripherally MacKenzie, post Raynor's demise.

The fourteenth, completely new hole by Rees Jones some seven years ago.

https://www.mpccpb.org/images/wallpaper/images/Dunes%2010.jpg

https://www.mpccpb.org/images/wallpaper/images/Dunes%2014.jpg

David Stamm

Re:Mucci and Huckaby.... Surrounds
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
Bob, is this restricted to Pat and Tom?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »
David,

No it's a free for all, the more the merrier.

Their dialogue went on for several pages with lots of others chiming in.

Bob

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »
They would both suffer without the roiling sea.  

I have seen neither from the perspective of addressing a golf ball and don't know the micro-rolls and microstrategies but Jimmy Buffet and the Coral Reefer Band would look great on either green.  

"Some of us sailors call her home.
 She's big and she's strong and she's mighty
 Some of us sailors call her our own.
 I guess that's the reason why . . .
 We treat her like a lady."  JB

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:31:34 PM »
In that case Bob, I'll offer my humble opinion. I believe the 10th would suffer more. The Pacific is actually in play on the 14th. The 10th no doubt looks like a solid hole however.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:33:50 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »
Bob:

Both holes are beautifully done, even without the backdrop.

Personally (and I've never played the Dunes, even though I'd love to) I would think that the 10th would be a far easier hole? I'd also like to see the area short right of the green mowed down to "feed" balls into the green for poorly struck shots or to bring into play the ground game.

I think that the 10th is a more "natural" hole (if that makes sense) than the 14th (I've stopped and gawked at the hole about 2 dozen times!) does.

The 14th is a more "solid" test of golf requiring a high cut off the tee some 180 plus yards...and I see the 10th as more "accommodating".

Which hole is "greater"? I think that the determination is personal--for me, I think the 10th is a better hole. The 14th is a little too "Rees/Nicklaus" for me with say, a lake instead of the Big Blue.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 09:40:32 PM »
The 14th. It seems obvious to me!

However, if you take away the wind too, then the 10th suffers more.

So maybe it's not so obvious.   ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 09:45:19 PM »
Bob:  This is a tricky question.  You can black out the ocean on the tenth and you've still got a golf hole with good defenses at the green.  But at the fourteenth, you've got to replace the ocean with something, because it's in play.  If you replace it with grass, then there's not much there; if you replace it with a pond, it's a tougher hole than #10.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »
Bob,

I haven't had the benefit of playing either hole, but, first and foremost, the holes have to stand on their individual architectural merit.

If they're absent merit, the ocean isn't going to supply it.

The Ocean will only serve to distract and divert the golfer's attention from a poor hole and act as the icing on the cake on a good hole.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 10:44:56 PM »
In that case Bob, I'll offer my humble opinion. I believe the 10th would suffer more. The Pacific is actually in play on the 14th. The 10th no doubt looks like a solid hole however.

I take the opposite view here.  I have not played either, so I'm trusting that they are both in the "great" category based on the original post.  They are both certainly very photogenic, and the ocean doesn't hurt.  

Anyway, assuming they ae both great holes, then removing the ocean hurts most on the hole where it comes into play, right?  Removing it from the other simply changes how it looks, but not how it plays.  Doesn't that mean the 14th has to suffer more?

Even if we are talking pure aeshtetics, at least based on these two photos, the 10th appears to have more to offer visually - the surrounding landscape is stunning.

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »
I need to clarify my observation. My take is 14th would suffer more. When I typed my first response I transposed hole numbers. Sorry. :-[

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 12:11:29 AM »
Strictly based on the pictures, 14 suffers more.  Looks like it depends more on the ocean.  

James Bennett

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 12:24:08 AM »
I think #10 is a great hole with less influence from the sea, although the wind is an important element.

Other views of #10 at the Dunes (MPCC)

and of 14

and looking back to the tee from #14 green

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 01:56:26 AM »
Mackenzie and Hunter?

James Bennett

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 03:09:02 AM »
Matt

see Bob's first post - he also refers to Hunter and Mackenzie's involvement at The Dunes (post Raynor's death).  I have read about this, but can't recall whether it is in the Doak book on Mackenzie, or The Spirit of St Andrews, or on GCA.

James B

PS  Does anyone have a picture of these holes during one of those heavy sea mists/low fog days?  That should save Mucci/Huckaby having to use Paint to black-ink the sea out of the image.   :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 03:12:00 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 01:36:52 PM »
James,

I do, but will have to scrape to find them.

Bob

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 02:19:32 PM »

PS  Does anyone have a picture of these holes during one of those heavy sea mists/low fog days?  That should save Mucci/Huckaby having to use Paint to black-ink the sea out of the image.   :)

Without the heavy ocean, there would be no sea mists...

Maybe someone should photoshop the two holes in question such that they appear to be in the desert of Scottsdale.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David Stamm

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 02:51:10 PM »

Maybe someone should photoshop the two holes in question such that they appear to be in the desert of Scottsdale.

Already we are missing TN's talents.....

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »
Visually, they suffer equally without the ocean.  Playability- the 14th suffers more for obvious reasons.  But, only from the back tee.  From the mens regular set of tees, #14 (with or without the ocean) is an average hole.  Since the back tee was added, this hole is rarely photographed in a manner that shows the other sets of tees.  

Now say the ocean stays but the wind is no longer a factor, then #10 loses its greatness.  In a strong wind (which rarely comes at you due west,) #10 is a very difficult hole.  #14 with or without wind is an easy bogey, in my opinion.

SS

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 12:03:38 AM »
Here you go...

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 12:26:50 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 12:13:56 AM »
Here you go...

Michael,

That is quite brilliant. How on earth do you do it?

Bob

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007, 12:28:49 AM »
Here is another version of #10...

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 12:35:48 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2007, 12:32:53 AM »

How on earth do you do it?

Bob

Bob - It's not all that hard if you have the right software. You just clip out the pieces you want to keep and layer in a new background. I did all three photos in about 15 minutes... including searching out the photos for the backgrounds.

By the way... the background for #14 is the 10th hole at Cuscowilla!

James Bennett

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2007, 12:37:30 AM »
Michael

that other version of #10 is very believable.  Where is it?

James B

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2007, 12:57:40 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back