News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

Olympic Club Ocean Course--tell me about it!
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:09:16 PM »
I understand in speaking with my host for a round on Jan. 2, the course has undergone extensive changes/updating in order to get it up to a USGA tournament level course.

While I understand it's "no lake course" my host claims he's almost as partial to the Ocean as he is to the Lake now.

I did a search, and didn't come up with much.

What's the 411 on this track (can't pull up much), and what do I have in store for me?

For what it's worth, the only time I was on the property (other than the Open) was a monday when I played 1-4 and 17, 18 on the Lake and the Cliffs 9 holer...

Thanks!

Jed

Kyle Henderson

Re:Olympic Club Ocean Course--tell me about it!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
I really liked the Ocean course. I walked it right after the Lake during the U.S. Amateur this summer. It is more exposed to the element, due to its position at the top of the sea cliffs and the sparsity of trees relative to the Lake course.

I'll check my program when I get home for more info. Here's what wikipedia has to offer:

"The Ocean Course has seen many changes over its history. Winter El Nino storms in 1983, and 1997 caused significant damage, and required major changes to the course and layout. During the mid 1990s, the club built 4 holes west of Skyline Blvd. along the bluffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Holes of par 4, par 3, par 5, and par 4 had dramatic views. These holes were lost due to erosion in 1997. The current course was finished in 2000.

The regular yardage for the Ocean Course is 6,925 yards from the championship tees with a course rating of 73.5 and a slope rating of 133. From the next set of tees forward, the course measures 6,496 yards and has a course rating of 71.1 and a slope rating of 129. From the next set of tees forward, the course measures 5,898 yards with a course rating of 68.8 and a slope rating of 121. From the front tees, the course measures 5,386 yards with a course rating of 66.5 and a slope rating of 115.

In preparation for the 2007 U.S. Amateur, the 14th hole has been changed, to allow the 15th hole to be lengthened."
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:38:44 PM »
Jed -

Over the past 30-40 years, the Ocean Course has had multiple configurations, renovations & permutations.

To my mind, the course was at its best prior to 1983, when there were 3 par-4's on what is now the Cliffs Course site and a par-4 on what is now the western 1/4 of the driving range. That course was sporty & fun to play.  The greens on that course were usually in great shape.

The current Ocean Course is much tougher and less of a "relief" course than it used to be. I think the back-9 is quite good.  

If you get a chance to visit the Men's Locker room, look for the multiple aerial photos of the property over the past 50+ years. They should give you some sense of what the Ocean Course looked like at various times.

DT    

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »
Hey, what ever happend to Scott Burroughs and his AOTD's?   ;)

Olympic Club - Ocean Course Aerial - Outdated
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:41:33 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:26:08 PM »
Paging Ben Dewar regarding my IMO essay...paging Ben Dewar...!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »
I played the latest version of the Ocean Course a couple of years ago with a member and had a great day.  I did make the comment that I thought Weiskopf's work as it existed appeared to have been the result of a contest between three shapers, each of whom got six holes to shape.   It's a fun course, no question about it, just seems to be made up of several disparate styles.

What a complex, with the Lake, Ocean and par 3 Cliffs courses.  There aren't many better multi-course private clubs in the country.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »
Bill McBride -

In keeping with the OC Ocean Course's ongoing history of change, two of the holes (#14 & #15) were altered earlier this year. #14 is now a straight-away par-4 to a nicely elevated green (instead of the dogleg-right par-4 it used to be). To accomodate lengthening the driving range, the green on #15 was moved forward and the tee was moved back, to maintain the length of the hole.

DT    

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 11:16:34 AM »
i have played both lake and ocean several times.  i think ocean is a great golf course.  off the tee it it actually fits my eye better than the lake course becasue ocean has fairway bunkers (i know lake has one fairway bunker).  the ocean course isn't as much on the side of the hill to me as lake is.   you get more flat lies on ocean.  you will enjoy it!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 12:03:58 PM »
I have played the current Ocean 7 or 8 times and still do not know how to describe it. It is good and tough yet it does not seem to have a theme or definable quality like the Lake or so many other great courses to me.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »
I would've liked to have seen Watson's original version. Probably his crown jewel that unfortunately was lost.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 01:28:16 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dave_Miller

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 05:35:38 PM »
I understand in speaking with my host for a round on Jan. 2, the course has undergone extensive changes/updating in order to get it up to a USGA tournament level course.

While I understand it's "no lake course" my host claims he's almost as partial to the Ocean as he is to the Lake now.

I did a search, and didn't come up with much.

What's the 411 on this track (can't pull up much), and what do I have in store for me?

For what it's worth, the only time I was on the property (other than the Open) was a monday when I played 1-4 and 17, 18 on the Lake and the Cliffs 9 holer...

Thanks!

Jed

Jed:
While there are only a handful of courses that measure up to the Lake Course at Olympic the Ocean course is an absolute delight.  While it is somewhat tougher now than it was in the late 70's and early 80's it is still a terrific golf course.
You should enjoy yourself thoroughly.

Fairways and Greens

Dave

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 09:02:24 PM »
David Stamm -

Where did you find those great pictures? Do you know when they were taken?

It is possible that those are pictures of the original course on that site, that preceeded the construction of the Lake Course and was built by the prior golf club, before the Olympic Club acquired that property. I don't think there are any pictures of the original course on display in the OC clubhouse.  

I would be curious if you have any further info. Thanks.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back