News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Artificial golf courses
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »
I read in the Telegraph earlier this week about a 6-hole course constructed at Kikuoka CC in Luxembourg made of artificial grass. It's the work of Steve Marnoch who says, 'There would be a huge initial outlay but, against that, there would be relatively little in the way of upkeep. The variety of today's synthetic grasses is such that we could produce everything, right down to the different grades of rough they use for championships.'

Having played some very poorly maintained courses in less than propitious locations not a million miles from where I live, I wonder whether an artificial grass course might be preferable? After all, the England football team did not fare any worse on artificial grass in Russia than they did on badly maintained turf at Wembley.

Kyle Harris

Re:Artificial golf courses
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 01:44:36 PM »
I don't think the sheer scale of a golf course would make this desirable. Golf has enough environmental issues but one thing in the pro category is that golf courses are open green space. Covering portions, or the entire thing, with an artificial surface may potentially be viewed as no worse than the newest subdivision or strip mall.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »
It seems that many clubs these days seem intent upon making their turf look as close as possible (bright green, tightly mown, free of weeds) to astroturf, anyway.

Andy Levett

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 03:39:08 PM »
Makes sense to me.
There’s not that much green space left in Europe and most countries have a presumption against any development, even a golf course, on what’s left.
But an artificial course on, say, a brownfield/landfill site would be welcomed. The economics add up somewhere like Luxembourg, which has a big potential golfing population within 50 miles.
The high construction cost could be offset by cheap, or even subsidised, land costs.
Also, in much of mainland Europe, it’s too cold to grow grass in winter and too hot in summer without lots of water.
If it was on landfill, the rough shaping could be done by the garbageurs in conjunction with the architect's plans (think unsubtle, but dramatic mounding)
A good artificial course won’t match a good grass course, but it will be better than a mediocre grass one.

Norbert P

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 03:56:45 PM »
     .        .        .  

"I don't like it."   (Mr. Horse from Ren & Stimpy - always a sententious critic.)

Grass has many benefits over artificial turf. It stores CO2, creates oxygen, cools the air and soil, and it's real. Walking Barnbougle in my bare feet was a highlight of my trip.

I've played on turf swatches (Chambers Bay Day!) and it was annoying.  Arti turf in driving ranges only makes me think I can't chunk 'em ever again on the golf course; a fleeting dream.  

I am curious about the 'descending attack' divots ?  Is one required to change their swing to more of a sweep?
Does one use tees or pods?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 10:20:09 AM »
Mark:

There was a news item in the states a couple of years back about a golf course being built with artificial turf ... I think it was going to be in the mountains of Colorado, where the growing season for turf is very short.  There might have been a thread here, in fact.  But I've heard nothing about it since then, and it ought to be finished by now.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »
Mark:

There was a news item in the states a couple of years back about a golf course being built with artificial turf ... I think it was going to be in the mountains of Colorado, where the growing season for turf is very short.  There might have been a thread here, in fact.  But I've heard nothing about it since then, and it ought to be finished by now.

I remember that, I think it turned out about as well as the domed course in Mississippi.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 10:44:14 AM »
This link indicates a 7 hole artificial turf course is located near Colorado Springs:

http://tinyurl.com/38pf5t

Looks like these fellows are trying to make a business out of it:

http://www.tourscapes.biz/

« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:45:57 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:51:22 AM »
The course in Colorado got scraped after one hole was built, when the owner didn't like the varied lies he was getting. :'(

Thinking more about the idea, I'm struck by how well one could manage the surrounds, and therefore the recovery options and potential. I imagine it would take the good doctors' adage of drainage drainage drainage, down to just drainage.

The Augusta syndrome could be fully realized as long as they've solved the loss of pigment problem.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
It's an environmental disaster to build such a course; completely destroys habitat and drainage, creates uncontrollable sheer surface flow that will flood surrounding areas. And the cost of such a surface has proven to be prohibitive. There's also the small little matter of maintaining it -- whether by cleaning stains or repairing tears. All it takes is someone to drop a cigarette butt or match and there's no telling what will happen. It will never be developed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:15:20 PM by Brad Klein »

Norbert P

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
 There is one being built along the coast in Alaska that will have arti tees and greens.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
We have completed a design of a 9-hole, par-3 course in far northern Arizona that will use artificial tees and greens/surrounds. May get built in 2008. Natural grass runs around many greens and forms the approaches. It is quite exciting — and a learning curve.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

archie_struthers

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:53 AM »
 8) ;D :D

AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!

any questions ??????????

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »
If grass don't grow there normally, why not make an artificial course? Sure beats watering the heck out of turf where turf don't grow. I think Las Vegas, being totally artificial itself, should become the golfing mecca of the artificial courses. About time to plow Shadow Hills under anyway. Edit: I meant Shadow Creek. Interesting slip as Shadow Hills is an Oregon course I am not to fond of. ;)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:11:38 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Trey Kemp

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »
Here is another link to the 7 hole course that has been built in Colorado. Sounds interesting, I would like to see it.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/hystad_22618___article.html/turf_golf.html
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Brian Laurent

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 11:53:55 AM »
Hurdzan just did a 10 hole course north of Columbus with artificial tees and greens...

http://www.littlebearvillage.com/index.htm
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
As I recall, one of the back tees at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove has an artificial tee -- apparently the tee doesn't get enough sun for them to grow grass.  Wonder if the ladies will use that fake tee box for the Solheim Cup??

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 12:30:01 PM »
I wrote a story a couple of years back about a course in northern Ontario that had artificial turf greens, among other woes. An excerpt:

After four or five years, the putting surfaces became such a drain on the club’s meager resources that the executive decided to bring in artificial turf. The carpets made the course playable, but as the fibers wore down, maintenance became an issue again. Even on a short pitch, a ball would fail to hold the surface.
“I mean, it would go ‘BOINNNGGG,’ ” Kelvin explained.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 01:32:44 PM »
I wrote a story a couple of years back about a course in northern Ontario that had artificial turf greens, among other woes. An excerpt:

After four or five years, the putting surfaces became such a drain on the club’s meager resources that the executive decided to bring in artificial turf. The carpets made the course playable, but as the fibers wore down, maintenance became an issue again. Even on a short pitch, a ball would fail to hold the surface.
“I mean, it would go ‘BOINNNGGG,’ ” Kelvin explained.

WOW! Ideal Maintenance Meld!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 06:32:46 PM »
I wish they'd immediately install some of this stuff at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh--that bog disguised as a football field is killing my fantasy football team...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 07:33:04 PM »
Why not just walk around with a small mat?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back