News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Bunkers you can't see
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:47:28 PM »
The first time I played the Old Course I am glad I took a caddy.  He would tell me to hit it there or over here because there is a bunker out 220 yards done the right side.  There were all kinds of bunkers that you can't see.  In some ways it is endearing.   In some ways it is is not.

The reason I bring this up is that I rarely see this feature in new courses.  I suspect that an architect would be shot if this were done.  Are there courses that have blind bunkers?  Is this a feature that should be used more?  I'd like to see it once in a while.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

RSLivingston_III

Re:Bunkers you can't see
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 03:11:38 PM »
The Old can't really be played your first time around. It requires a lot of experience that few will be able to get.
i have not had the chance to play the course in reverse but I understand that all the bunkering is visible. With the reversing of the course the blindness of the bunkering happened. Next time when you get to whatever green you are playing at TOC, have a look back toward the tee.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Richard_Cutler

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 03:25:02 PM »
The original bunkers on the old links courses were the hollows in the ground that the sheep made while sheltering from the wind. These were certainly not all visible from the first teeing grounds layed out by the early course makers. On lots of sites we strive for traditional features and values yet blind bunkers are always a big no no. I have lots of memories of earth moving and shaping just to so we can see the top 10-12 inches of a revetted face from the tee. If strategy calls for a bunker and the existing landform tells us it should be blind then blind it should be. Many of the bunkers on the east coast scottish links are blind so why, when building in a "traditional links" style do we move heaven and earth to make bunkers visible. Course guides can keep the uninitiated informed.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 03:52:25 PM »
As I recall, I found a number of "hidden" bunkers playing Southerness in a driving rainstorm.  Perhaps it was the rain on my glasses that blinded me.  After a couple of minutes of bitching and moaning about the lack of fairness, Mike (my friend and pro) said, "who says it's supposed to be fair?"  Even if you don't know it's there, you will probably remember that hidden bunker the next time you play.

Greg Krueger

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 04:15:22 PM »
I think it is fun when there are blind shots and hidden hazards,
to a point. I am sure it has been said on this sight many times
that if TOC was built today the architect would be lambasted!
But I think we need more of it than what we have been seeing
lately.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
i have not had the chance to play the course in reverse but I understand that all the bunkering is visible.

Ralph,
not completely correct, but certainly many of the bunkers which are invisible on the 'normal' routing become visible on the reverse. There's loads of them out there which just don't really come into play normally. The ones I've walked by for many years thinking  "what on earth is THAT doing there?" suddenly figure very large indeed in the course of a reverse round. The Revtoc is definitely something anyone who has played the normal route should try at least once in their life.

What is also true however, is that MANY of the GREENS are invisible on the Reverse too!

Eek!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »
What courses, if any, have you found with bunkers hidden from view from the tee?
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
What courses, if any, have you found with bunkers hidden from view from the tee?

Tommy,

You need to visit Lederach GC north of Philadelphia by Kelly Blake Moran.

You will definitely find blind bunkers.    ;D

I love the course but it's certainly one that gets strong reactions.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
Sounds more like bunkers I don't want to see!

Doug
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 06:40:02 PM by Doug Ralston »

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »
William Flynn, From 1927:

'A conceled bunker has no place on a golf course because when it conceled it does not register on the player's mind as he is about to play the shot and thus loses its value.  The best-looking bunkers are those that are gouged out of faces or slopes, particularly when the slopes face the player. They are much more effective in that they stand out like sentinels beckoning the player to come on or keep to the right or left."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 12:54:17 AM »
The best blind bunkers are like the one behind the 14th green at Wild Horse. A sort of gathering HOW DO YOU DO for the aggresive player who misses long.

Pete Dye will also use little blind pot bunkers in similar locations on some of his holes.

Even Stanely Thompson used some of these bunkers long of the green at Banff. I'm having a hard time recalling if more than one was blind.

How about Old Seth Raynors Moat? That sure look at least semi-blind.

Jim Engh had some hidden black beauties at Hawktree. They weren't completely blind from every angle, but certainly from certain angles they were.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 12:55:29 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 08:48:01 AM »
I'll give you a few examples of blind bunkers on a course that seems remarkably respected, NGLA, and how strategically effective they all are:

Hole #1:
There is a set of totally blind bunkers left on #1 that can catch a conservative iron tee shot incredibly easily on what many players seem to think is the right line---it isn't!  ;)

Hole #3:

The blind bunker short of the green in what would otherwise be a pretty easy blind run-on shot to the green.

Hole #7:

A blind bunker that's around the conservative tee shot line.

Hole #9:

The blind nest of bunkers down the left side on the tee shot.

All these bunkers are blind and just remarkably effective strategically.

There are other blind bunkers on NGLA but the ones above I think are the most effective. It shows me that blind bunkers have a very fine strategic use and that the generlization in modern golf that blind bunkers should never be used is somewhat thoughtless.

wsmorrison

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:49:56 AM »
Tom,

Speaking of NGLA, why do you think some of the sand areas are convex?  We saw a number of these  out there when you were studying the 7th green.  They are the opposite of hidden bunkers.  Maybe they were meant to weigh more on the player's mind.  Is there anything about their placement that works better as above ground sandy mounds rather than scooped out bunkers?  

I can see the point of having a mound fronting 17 green as it obscures the green from certain locations on the fairway, but why the sandy top?  Something about today's mound is not original, right?  Was it higher in the past?  Given the relative ease of recovery from these convex sand areas, especially when built, what might have been Macdonald's thinking?

How do they not blow away?  I think the particles might be a lot larger on those mounds and that might keep them intact.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:50:49 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 10:00:03 AM »
One of the more thoughtful bunkers built recently is what's called the  reverse bunker on Ballyneal's 13th. I describe it like an Iceberg. Where you can only see the top ten percent.

It my be hard to makeout, but the reverse bunker is just to the right of the first bunker seen left center of the fairway.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 04:13:16 PM »

Tommy,

You need to visit Lederach GC north of Philadelphia by Kelly Blake Moran.

You will definitely find blind bunkers.    ;D

I love the course but it's certainly one that gets strong reactions.

Mike, I have heard great things about Lederach.  I will have to make it a point to get up there this spring.
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back