News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

DAVE SILK: A GREAT PLAYING PARTNER
« on: November 20, 2007, 05:36:46 PM »
I nominate Dave Silk as one of the greatest golfing partner of all time.

He always enjoys the day no matter how well he is playing, adheres to the rules of golf etiquette, doesn’t smell, is polite, makes good conversation and is appreciative of the fact that any day on a golf course is a good day.

Now, he’s not perfect. Silk insists on marking his ball with his Olympic Gold Medal, ribbon included and, without fail, says each and every time he marks: “Is my Olympic Gold Medal in the way?”

Oh yeah, and he always wears his U.S Olympic hockey jersey underneath his golf shirt, no matter the weather or temperature.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:46:45 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

John Kavanaugh

Re:DAVE SILK: A GREAT PLAYING PARTNER
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:40:20 PM »
Yea, but does he pick up the check?

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 05:45:22 PM »
John:

No, but I think there is a distinct possibility he is going to check me into oblivion the next time he sees me.

Anthony

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 05:47:23 PM »
If he pulls out a camera to be like Wang, does he get whistled for a 2 minute delay of game penalty or does he get a game misconduct?  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

dsilk

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
while i am rather unclear what sparked this sophomoric and totally random and unprovoked attack- a couple of thoughts come to mind...
1) it's nice to see a writer of Tony's calibre using verbs in almost all of his sentences.
2) Isnt it prudent for one to always consider the source when cannonshots of the loose variety are being fired?
3) while tony is right on a number of fronts- let me clarify...the ribbon is seldom seen when marking my ball as it folds neatly under the medal.
4) I have always wondered why Tony doesnt use his 4th grade medallion that he received for his 4th place finish in the Avon elementary school spelling bee (short bus division)

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:02:04 PM »
Tony

Your modesty precludes you from saying this but in fact YOU are the greatest playing partner a person could ever desire.

Dave too is a great playing partner but he must for now remain in a tie for second place. I was glad that we played in overcast conditions a couple of weeks ago as the medal has a tendency to blind his opponents as its kept shiney and new.  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:03:42 PM by GJChilds »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:07:19 PM »
Silky:

I try to give you a compliment and this is the appreciation I get? Man. Thanks for noticing the verb thing. As Steve Martin said, "Some people have a way with words. Others.... not have way."

My medal, by the way, was for a second-place finish. (The rest of the class tied for first.) And I rode to school in a van, not a short bus except for my five years of high school when my mommy dropped me off so the neighborhood kids couldn't beat me up.

Anthony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »
taken from Boston.com

Outside of work, Silk loves to play golf and sports a 10 handicap.

"It's a great place to compete," said Silk about golf. "It's outside and you can learn an awful lot about a person in four and half hours out there."

Rumor has hit there was more to the interview, which was severely editted...

It should have been... 'outside of work Silk loves to hustle golf pidgeons, claiming a 10 handicap'

'it is a great place to earn a side living.  Guys like A.P. have allowed me to put two kids though college.  And you can learn an awful lot about a person in 4.5 hours cartballing around with a lunatic.  Those little stories of the years in confinement where all there was to do is play hide the haggis.  But, what I really like about A.P. is how he loves to borrow my gold medal to wear to the chick bars, when he is out of town on assignment.'

And, now you know the rest of the story... ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »
4) I have always wondered why Tony doesnt use his 4th grade medallion that he received for his 4th place finish in the Avon elementary school spelling bee (short bus division)
Alreaady used it to bribe his way into 5th.
(Don't know what I'm doing here but I couldn't resist)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:09:18 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

dsilk

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »
okay now we know the lies are flying as most anyone who has paid the slightest attention to sports over the last 25 years is aware that the gold medal of which we speak is neither shiny nor new- and has in fact, seen some very odd places in it's lifetime- but that's fairway banter that is best saved for the walk at YALE perhaps!

dsilk

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 06:14:28 PM »
Dear RJ
thank you for that post- imagine my surprise when the rather overserved  young woman told me how brave A.P. was.. having been the last cut from the '80 team but had somehow managed to persevere...
i believe her quote was something like..." he's got the heart and sole of a lion but the package of a churchmouse.."

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 06:15:11 PM »
All I have for partners is Tom Paul, Mike Cirba, Jeff Silverman, Steve Sayers, Andy Scanlon, Steve Shaffer, Powell Arms and Mike Malone down here.  :-\  Bill Dow travels too much so I'm in need of some serious partner upgrading.  Is Philadelphia too far for you guys to travel?  Get some Have Clubs Will Travel cards made up and get down here after the Spring thaw.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:40:06 AM by Wayne Morrison »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »
Yale?

Is there a Biarritz there? Hey, and we could play nearby Fenwick as well!

Oh, that would be swell.

RJ:

I thought we were going to keep the bar/gold medal thing quiet?

Anthony

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 06:18:33 PM »
Wayne:

I feel bad for you and because we are kind giving people, Dave and I will head down there in the spring to give you a little respit from the golf partner hell you have to endure. You up for a Philly swing Silky?

Anthony

dsilk

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »
i was perfectly willing to keep the bar/ gold medal thing on the D.L. til you wanted to sing the anthem acapella- style

dsilk

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 06:25:46 PM »
totally in for a philly experience- as long as we dont go anywhere near Broad St- i know it's gone but just the thought of the Spectrum makes me nervous... a wiseass "friend" sent me a youtube video of me getting my ticket punched by a flyer one night-  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 06:26:35 PM »
Ironically, I was just thinking in terms of a "miracle on ice" the other day, when I went for a par 5 in two, had about 280, but the pond conveniently about 100 short of the green plays something like a Biarritz where the ball skips nicely off the now frozen hazard.  Now, it is just basically a little 180yard low 3iron slapper with a nice little boioioioinng and bounce up to the putting surface.  I feel confident with Dave's skills, he would do well there... Tony, however, probably couldn't hit the pond...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

dsilk

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 06:30:14 PM »
as gordie howe once said, "kid, you couldnt hit boston harbor if you were standing on the deck at Jimmy's harborside-"
how right he was... but i'd rather bounce one across than have to skate on it at this point...

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 06:39:58 PM »
Silky:

Gordie said that to you? You impress wherever you go.

Gordie Howe used to hang out in the Hartford Whalers press box. He had a face of a guy who took some beatings off the years. A wonderful man.

Anthony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 06:43:58 PM »
Dave, I am not worried about you, it is that Pioppi character that is always on thin ice...

But, you can bring him along to Wisconsin the next time you get a round together with Magic here in Dairyland.  Maybe Mark can give Tony a job as towel boy and publicist for his National Champion team...  ;) ::) ;D

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 06:47:47 PM »
Let me get this straight, I start this thread to compliment Dave Silk and now I'm a towel boy in Wisconsin?

What the hell happened?

Anthony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »
What happened...?

the usual... boy has hero, boy gets to hang with hero, boy holds hero's medal, boy gets beat badly and owes hero many skins, boy trys to suck up to hero and escape his golf gambling debts.  Boy is farmed out to the hinterlands of the frozen tundra... What don't you understand A.P.?

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 06:54:12 PM »
Our boy Silky at work!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_q0NvJNJ6qM

Yikes.

Anthony

mike_malone

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 07:01:29 PM »
 BTW, the Spectrum is still there. It is used for minor league hockey. When you guys come to Philly you will be asking to join some of Wayne's lousy partners after one round with him.
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »
Head directly on down to the Main Line and hit Huntingdon Valley on your way back north.  You'll avoid the Spectrum area entirely.

I better tell Dave Schultz he's out of the foursome.  Bobby Clarke too as he is liable to do a Kharmalov on your ankle if you're beating him.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back