News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Redan Redux
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:32:46 PM »
A second question regarding Redans (btw, I miss Bill V):

If the green is significantly larger than the fairway kick-plate, why use the latter?  Is it merely a crutch for the distance-challenged player?  An opportunity for the shot-maker to demonstrate her (for you, Shivas) ability to work the ball?  An irrelevant architectural relic?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JESII

Re:Redan Redux
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:58:43 PM »
You play on soft green too often...

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »
Or hit long irons high...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:50:49 PM by Paul Stephenson »

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 03:00:24 PM »
You play on soft green too often...

That's right. One of the great thrills of the game for me is the couple of times I've played a Redan in dry conditions when  there was almost no chance of holding the green unless I landed my approach short.

Bob

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 12:10:49 AM »
A second question regarding Redans (btw, I miss Bill V):

If the green is significantly larger than the fairway kick-plate, why use the latter?  Is it merely a crutch for the distance-challenged player?  An opportunity for the shot-maker to demonstrate her (for you, Shivas) ability to work the ball?  An irrelevant architectural relic?

Mike,

The fairway short of the putting surface, which is ONLY a part of the kick plane, is an integral component of the hole.

While it may be true that its significance is diminished as the tee  is elevated above the green, it remains a critical element in the design and playability of the hole.

JESII

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:52:06 AM »
Pat,

Is the tee above the green on the original?

To me, this is a key facet to a loyal reproduction. Unlike Wayne, I have no problem with template style holes, but retaining playability is the most important thing to me and hitting 40 feet downhill to a Redan green seriously comprimises the playability of the concept.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back