News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

"Pure Links Land" in Dubai ?
« on: November 12, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »
http://www.worldgolf.com/newswire/browse/11707-Peter-Thomson-deems-Ain-Al-Emarat-course-site-one-of-the-best

Thomson said: "The land at Ain Al Emarat is magical, pure links land with no vegetation. We could instantly see marvellous golf holes in these undulating dunes, and there was great excitement, as this site has the potential to become a truly great golf course."[/i]

Really ?

Tom_Doak

Re:"Pure Links Land" in Dubai ?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:16:12 PM »
Well there aren't a lot of people who are going to call him on it.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:15:46 AM »
While Thommo's comments can be considered somewhat self-promoting, (No more then most) if any of you happen to have a chance, check out Syriana which was filmed in Dubai.

While not linksland, the movement of sand dunes is pretty amazing.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:26:49 AM »
I've never seen the land Thomson talks about.  I have seen other sites in the Middle East that are exactly as he describes this one.  Thousands of acres of rolling dunes, stunning land forms and vistas, soft sand that is scores of feet deep, wind that howls over, through and around the hills and valleys.

I've often thought what fantastic golf courses could be designed and built there.  Give a great minimalist architect free rein, and I bet he creates some world top 100's.  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:08:21 AM »
Jim N:  Would you care to set the odds on Ain Al Emarat cracking the top 100 lists?

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:47:44 AM »
"Jim N:  Would you care to set the odds on Ain Al Emarat cracking the top 100 lists?"

Come on TomD, you've been all over the world. You've got to start thinking more "outside the box".

Other places and new ideas, you know?  ;)

Here's a question for a universe trotting golf architect such as yourself.

If you were to do a golf course on the Moon what distances would you set for par 3s and par 4s and par 5s? And secondly, do you think it would be fair to set bunkers and such outside the limit of a person's ability to see the ball in the air or on the ground?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:03:24 AM »
Jim N:  Would you care to set the odds on Ain Al Emarat cracking the top 100 lists?

No.  But if the land is as good as others I've seen in this part of the world, and you were the architect, I bet the odds would be quite high.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back