News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tommy Williamsen

standing in awe
« on: October 31, 2007, 01:03:10 AM »
Have you ever played a course new to you and gotten to a tee or fairway and just want to sit and look.  The scene is either so majestic, beautiful, or architecturally stunning that you can't wait to hit the shot but can't force yourself to leave.

It was like that for me at 6 on Royal North Devon.

Royal County Down

Not a great hole but a great place to meditate. Keystone River

15 at Cypress Point is another.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:03:45 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

M. Shea Sweeney

Re:standing in awe
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 01:42:33 AM »
 18th tee at Newport Country Club

4th green at Fishers Island.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 06:55:39 AM »
16 CPC
5th Blackwolf Run River
behind 2nd green Sand Hills
4th tee Ballyneal
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 07:06:12 AM »
1st and 18th at TOC  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:26:50 AM »
Standing in the fairway on the 11th at Whitemarsh Valley (Thomas) was the first time I had ever experienced the feeling.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:30:35 AM »
The second shot into 11 at Merion East
Honors Course #12
Royal County Down #9
Royal Portrush #5
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:02:23 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »
16 CPC
5th Blackwolf Run River
behind 2nd green Sand Hills
4th tee Ballyneal

Good call on the 2nd at Sand Hills...I vividly remember our first view of that gem early in the morning...stunning...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 09:46:06 AM »
 Most of the westerly holes at Rolling Green in the late afternoon at this time of the year. The angle of the sun on the contours is awesome. I guess I'll try it again today.
AKA Mayday

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 09:54:49 AM »
Though I play as a regular here, I am still in awe whenever I stand on either the third tee at Bandon Dunes, or the third at Pacific, with the majesty of the entire links, the ocean in the distance, the great golfing scenes before my eyes ........awesome!

Tom
the pres

Dan Boerger

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 09:57:58 AM »

First time I played the Old Head, the propery was encased in a fog. Hit a few balls, then play a pretty pedestrian 1st hole. As we walk to the second tee, the fog lifts and it's an incredibly sunny day. That's a pretty good walk and the view from the tee box is spectacular. We take more time than usual (the caddies knew we would), but what a piece of property.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jason Mandel

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 10:00:58 AM »

The 7th and 18th at Pebble Beach...

the 1st green at Merion everytime I drive by on Ardmore avenue...

the 13th at white manor, looking back from up on 15 green with the sun setting late in the day...

the 18th hole at Philly Cricket

the 1st hole at Erin Hills(more like wtf!)

looking back on the 5th hole at Long Shadow while passing it walking off the 7th green on the way to 8.

the 1st tee at Aronimink

the 10th hole at Pine Needles

the 17th at philly country after making the turn of dog leg.

as you can tell, it happens quite often which is part of the reason I love the game so much.  It also happens with great stadiums and arenas, such as Wrigley Field or Lambeau field...

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 10:01:12 AM »
The back tee at Black Mesa's 16th. Morning or evening.Whah.

wsmorrison

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 10:05:03 AM »
I knew that I stood in the presence of great golf architecture on the 2nd tee at Pine Valley.  When I got up to the green, I realized how much greater a whole hole can be when the green is equally spectacular.  This hole took my interest in golf architecture to a new level.

As for an entire golf course where I could stand on every hole and be in awe, there are only two others in America: Merion and Shinnecock Hills.

N.B.  I have not yet seen Cypress Point, though I am not sure it would qualify with the three courses mentioned above.

Philip Spogard

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 10:10:02 AM »
18th hole tee and approach shots on the Old Course, St. Andrews.
(+ most of the other holes as well!)

Philip Spogard

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »
Quite a few tee shots on the front 9 of Formby as well - epsecially #9

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 10:20:39 AM »
I know it's not the same thing, but don't you get a similar feeling of awe on every tee of the course you really learned the game on, grew up on? I know I do, it's one of the many reasons I will always play my home muni.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 10:22:48 AM »
I know it's not the same thing, but don't you get a similar feeling of awe on every tee of the course you really learned the game on, grew up on? I know I do, it's one of the many reasons I will always play my home muni.

YES YES YES YES YES!

Great thought, George.

I get that same feeling each and every time I go back to the venerable Studio City Golf & Tennis par three course... and why I am so bummed it apparently is going to meet its demise.

TH

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
#1 at Crystal Downs.  Standing on that tee knowing you are looking at one of the greatest nine's on the planet.  Not to mention Crystal Lake in the background.  

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:45:37 AM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

J_McKenzie

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »
The 14th tee on Seaside at the Sea Island Golf Club.  There's always a different look depending on the time of day, the tide, and of course the weather.

George,

I agree and that is why the University of Georgia golf course will always be in my top 5.

John

Scott Szabo

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »
From the back tee, Ballyneal #13 isn't bad either....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Don Hyslop

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »
Just a couple of my stand in awe holes:

1. #15 at Cape Breton Highlands
2. #4 Devil's Cauldron at Banff
3. #18 At the Old Course
4. #7 Pebble Beach
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »
#1.  Walking around the dog-leg 4th at Bandon and finally staring at the Pacific.

#2.  Any hole at Cypress.  Every one of them has somthing magical.  Then to get to #s 15-17....wow!

Mike McGuire

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »
Standing at the proposed site of the 13th tee at Pacific Dunes. And two days ago on the porch at Oakmont.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 07:07:53 PM »
The third tee at Spyglass,  behind the 8th green at Pebble, the clubhouses at Riviera or Olympic, 16 or 17 at Lincoln Park, and sixth tee at Torrey North.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back