News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

ward peyronnin

LinksGolf Belvoir Park Review Calling Johnnie Browne
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:10:22 PM »
Just cracked latest Links magazine and a venerable Colt layout, Belvoir, recieves hidden gem Kudos.

I have almost played her on two occaisions and regret the lost opportunity.

Dr. Browne can you comment on the renovations and other course nuances. Anyone else have a comment?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Paul_Turner

Re:LinksGolf Belvoir Park Review Calling Johnnie Browne
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:28:54 PM »
Ward

I really want to see Belvoir as I've only heard good things about this course. Ran almost got there last year but couldn't fit it in.  The routing looks excellent... attacking the valleys/ravines from every which way on a pretty tight bit of property and the par 3 16th looks about as tough as Colt did.

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

JMorgan

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
8 without the trees is pretty sweet, too.

Paul, why do you think Colt was so good at designing one-shot holes?  What have other gca's missed that Colt paid such close attention to?

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:07:34 PM »
P: I was spos'd to play that with him but the grueling schedule we set did not allow; someday i will return.

J:I think of 14 at Portrush and 4 and 7 at RCD and Colt for one thing was good at taking a natural quirk such as a ridge or hollow or mound and forcing the player to hit a premium shot or else deal with the maximum consequences that the defending feature could deliver. He also didn't necesarrily use one shotters as a way to get from one place to another not being afraid to devote a quality piece of links to these holes.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 05:58:57 PM »
Right after the Waker Cup I was driving out from Belfast back to Newcastle (Royal County Down), through what appeared to be either close in or suburban Belfast, and passed by Belvoir Park Golf Course!  It was on a busy street and didn't appear to be in very golfy terrain (if there is such a thing).

I too couldn't take advantage of Johnny's offer to play there and also wish I had been able to.  Too many golf courses, too little time.

Interestingly enough, the course name is pronounced "Beaver Park."

JMorgan

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:14:43 PM »
P: I was spos'd to play that with him but the grueling schedule we set did not allow; someday i will return.

J:I think of 14 at Portrush and 4 and 7 at RCD and Colt for one thing was good at taking a natural quirk such as a ridge or hollow or mound and forcing the player to hit a premium shot or else deal with the maximum consequences that the defending feature could deliver. He also didn't necesarrily use one shotters as a way to get from one place to another not being afraid to devote a quality piece of links to these holes.

Ward, I would agree.  I hope Paul chimes in.  I am trying to track down a passage where Colt discusses how the diagonal ridge between bunkers on the Short approach makes that hole so sublimely great and worth referencing.   This quirk is what many "templates" of that hole have missed in subsequent versions.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:48:53 PM »
8 without the trees is pretty sweet, too.

Paul, why do you think Colt was so good at designing one-shot holes?  What have other gca's missed that Colt paid such close attention to?

James

There is a quote somewhere in which Colt states that he is particularly drawn to par 3 holes.  I think he usually prioritised in getting dramatic par 3 green sites and probably focused on these first if surveying a topo map.  And if there weren't any he'd get 'em built: see recent pics of St Germain.

If a course has a great set of par 3s it seems to be more memorable (more so than 4s or 5s).  I think most players are inclined to liking par 3s best and I reckon Colt was one of them.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 06:18:49 PM »
My Granddad plays it a lot might go with him next time!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back