News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Matt_Cohn

If JN became a poster...what would you ask him?
« on: October 16, 2007, 01:33:12 AM »
...knowing that if you asked a ridiculous question he certainly wouldn't respond.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 01:34:15 AM by Matt_Cohn »

Jed Peters

Re:If JN became a poster...what would you ask him?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 01:36:20 AM »
If only a pro golfer knows what a golf shot is, why did you let Desmond Muirhead design Muirfield Village?

Kirk Gill

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:24:19 AM »
You know, I've read lots of posts regarding JN on this site, and I still don't understand the level of snide invective that is poured on this guy. I mean, if he designs courses that you don't like, fine. It would be too bad if the people on this site had the opportunity to talk to the man about his GCA career and a bunch of flip, abrasively-phrased questions were the best this talented, knowledgeable group could come up with. His architecture might not always be my cup of tea, but even if I don't exactly like everything he's done, he has a perspective on design and on business that would be pretty damned interesting to listen to.

That said, on the topic of architecture, I'd ask him, with all due respect, whether or not he'd ever routed a course exclusively by himself, and the degree to which he believes the routing of a course is a major determinant in the quality of the eventual course. I'd ask him the degree to which he equates the difficulty of a course with the quality of a course. I'd ask him whether he considers himself a golf architect first, or a golf businessman first.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
I'd ask him if he spent more time personally on his signature courses, would they turn out better?  

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 07:05:17 AM »
How to hit the high fade? ;D ;D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:48:39 AM »
 8) jAck,

In regards to the Ohio connection, does it bother you that Weiskoff and Art Hills' gca works are considered more favorably than yours?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:43:49 AM »
On a thread several months ago about the Confidential Guide, I noted that I was somewhat astounded that Doak ever was selected to co-design a course w/ Nicklaus, given the general antipathy that Doak expressed for many of Jack's courses in the CG. Tom replied that Jack's design philosophy had (paraphrasing here) evolved since the publication of the CG, with the implication that it had (from Tom's perspective) improved.

My question(s) for Nicklaus would be:

A) Do you agree with Doak -- has your design philosophy/approach over time evolved?

B) If so, was there any one course that you saw or worked on that prompted a reassessment of your design philosophy?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:44:20 AM by Phil McDade »

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 09:46:12 AM »
why?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

JESII

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:58 AM »
why?

I was about to type..."don't you have anything better to do with your time?"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
I have had the chance to ask JN questions at ASGCA meetings.  When I was prez I asked him to assess how to play Pinehurst No. 2 for us, and he was very gracious. As moderator, I got to ask a lot of questions, including "Do you ever copy holes" which he graciously answered no, not exactly, favoring modifying concepts.  Later, his associates told me I was "lucky" - any such suggestion in the office would recieve the famous JN steely glare.

On another occaision, I sort of pestered him on some of the concepts I was trying to articulate the other day - does he try to set up certain shots with angles, slopes, etc.  He gave a thoughtful answer, but the summary was that he didn't get any pre-concieved notions and that it depends on the site.

I have also taken some of his offhand comments as good rules for design. Two I recall are that he would aim for a plateau on the green if it was 40' wide or more and that he liked front to back tier greens on long par 4's downwind, because he liked to roll the ball up that slope to the back pin.

If JN answered questions here, he would do so very graciously and thoughtfully.  
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 10:52:38 AM »
Jack,

You hold TOC in high esteem. Have any of the courses you have designed reached the level of TOC? If so, which ones and how? Of those that don't reach that level, what are their major shortcomings?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »
Jack,

You hold TOC in high esteem. Have any of the courses you have designed reached the level of TOC? If so, which ones and how? Of those that don't reach that level, what are their major shortcomings?

He paid homage to TOC at Grand Cypress. It's fun, decently done, and not many here seem to want to remember it, not that I'm saying the generalizations about Jack have any truth about them....... ::)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Phil Benedict

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 12:54:08 PM »
I'd ask him what could other architects learn from his designs.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 12:58:32 PM »
I would ask him to name his top ten modern designs.

Not the top ten he has designed but the top ten of all designs since 1990.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 01:06:50 PM »
I would just ask him about his Golf. This is going to sound rude but I dont think I could learn much off his 'archictecture ideas' although maybe I could from his team. I feel Nicklaus, Palmer, RJT are almost factory produced courses that fit a certain market (which they do very well in fairness).
Pete Dye I could listen to all day.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 01:15:34 PM »

He paid homage to TOC at Grand Cypress. It's fun, decently done, and not many here seem to want to remember it, not that I'm saying the generalizations about Jack have any truth about them....... ::)

Joe

Joe:

Believe it or not, The New Course was my favorite place to go play nearby when trying to get away from the "office" for an afternoon. I'm also on record as saying that overall I like the renovation at OSU Scarlet and believe it's an improvement, so take my opinion for what it's worth around here. It can't be worth a whole lot if I like Pilgrim's Run that much  ;D

Sobe

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 02:31:47 PM »
Jack,

Joe

Wouldn't it be fun to hear what Jack had to say about how good the new course is compared to the old course? And, if it is not as good, why not?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back