News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Gayne

PONS ASINORUM
« on: October 11, 2007, 10:06:21 PM »
I found this on Ebay. The bottom right picture is the Pons Asinorum bunker.

Pons Asinorum (Latin for "Bridge of Asses") is the name given to Euclid's fifth proposition in Book 1 of his Elements of geometry:

Pretty cool looking but I can't imagine how it could ever be maintained.

David Stamm

Re:PONS ASINORUM
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 11:24:10 PM »
Bill, does it reference where the photo was taken? Is it from a book? It almost looks like it came from Hutchinson's British Golf Links.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 06:16:50 AM »
Bill, does it reference where the photo was taken? Is it from a book? It almost looks like it came from Hutchinson's British Golf Links.

Lahinch in 1901.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 07:49:44 AM »
I've seen that photo recently.  Is it in Bunkers, Pits and other Hazards?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »

Lahinch in 1901.

Thanks Bill. I'm trying to think of names for that bunker. Frankenstein's Head? The Myan Pyramid?  ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:44:03 AM »

Lahinch in 1901.

Thanks Bill. I'm trying to think of names for that bunker. Frankenstein's Head? The Myan Pyramid?  ;)

It's gotta be someone who played for the South in the Dixie Cup....

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:55:57 AM »

Lahinch in 1901.

It's gotta be someone who played for the South in the Dixie Cup....

That would be a Mr. Cavus Asinorum Standfordus

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 05:23:30 PM »

Lahinch in 1901.

For a modern name "The Don King Bunker"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:24:23 PM by Bill Gayne »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 05:45:27 PM »
Yes, Mark, it is in Richardson & Fine's book: "Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards" Chapter 2, pg 18.  The original source was "Golf Illustrated"

Willie_Dow

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 11:31:38 AM »
Having just bought "Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards" from Amazon, I'm only somewhat familiar with its contents.  So far it is full of extremely good basic details on the subject matter.

It is being sold at a discount, by the way.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back