News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jason Topp

Favorite "loop" like stretches
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
My favorite aspect of the Old Course is that you play 6 holes of essentially meat and potatoes golf, 6 holes with the possibility of 6 3's in a row and then 6 difficult holes.  (I know that description is a little off base because of the 5, 14, 18 and 11 but you get the idea).

Loop like stretches are fun because they provide the opportunity to improve any round and because they apply pressure on the player to take advantage of the opportunity.  Pebble Beach has a similar type of stretch (for pros) but it is at the beginning of the round and therefore not as ideal as the Old Course's placement in the middle of the round.

Are there other examples of loop like stretches?  Where are they?  Do any architects try and create them? I would like to see more courses with them.  

Tim Gavrich

Re:Favorite "loop" like stretches
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:18:17 AM »
It ain't no old Course, but I enjoy heading out the back porch in SC and playing 15, 16, then 13 and 14 at Pawleys Plantation.  I usually hit a bunch of different clubs and shots over that stretch; it's a cool little microcosm of the course.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 10:28:08 AM »
Although I'd hesitate to call any holes at Merion "easy", I think most players put a lot of pressure on themselves to play holes 1-4 well - knowing that 5 and 6 can play pretty tough.

The pressure on 7-13 is even greater, because you know there is no let-up once you pass the clubhouse.

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 10:31:30 AM »
I absolutely love the loop of 12-16 at Olympia Fields North Course.  This is where the course assumes its dominant identity as it wraps around a couple ridges and a serpentine creek.  You get Shoreacres-like holes of terrific variety and the holes are a quick and natural walk from green to tee.  There are other parts of the course with a similar feel (3-5 come to mind), but this loop is really special IMHO.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »
Jason, If I understand your point...There appears to be alot of pressure on modern designs to, wow'em from the get go. It's apparent the sublties you cite are not appreciated by many of those macho macho men who boldly critique courses.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:44:10 AM »
Is there a better loop in the US than 6-10 at Pebble Beach???  It's gotta be very high on the top loop list...

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 11:16:38 AM »
From Gordon Jones's piece, Panmure sounds loopy.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »
Mountain Lake: 10-12
Rolling Green: 15-18

Two of my favorites.

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 11:37:11 AM »
Is there a better loop in the US than 6-10 at Pebble Beach???  It's gotta be very high on the top loop list...

14-18 at Merion

JESII

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 11:46:19 AM »
Does "loop" imply a return to a spot close to the starting point? Or is this about stretches of golf that act as mini-rounds within the 18 hole round?

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 11:52:41 AM »
Does "loop" imply a return to a spot close to the starting point? Or is this about stretches of golf that act as mini-rounds within the 18 hole round?

I meant it not in geographic terms, but rather as a stretch of holes that provide a ton of opportunities for birdie or better sandwiched in between tougher stretches of play.  I think such a stretch provides an interesting and enjoyable challenge both for the player who has started well and the player who has started poorly.  

Most of the examples provided in the thread are memorable stretches of holes, but not necessarily a long stretch of birdie holes.  I am having a hard time identifying any that last more than a couple of holes.  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:53:33 AM by Jason Topp »

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 12:04:43 PM »
16-18 at Palmetto.

JESII

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 12:06:44 PM »
The old story was that if you could get through the first several (5) holes at Pine Valley well you should be able to score well. #'s 6 - 12 can be scored on. The new back tee on #'s 7 and 9 have made them much more challenging, but in general that stretch (like the middle stretch at Merion or TOC) should provide just the opportunity you speak of...to either take advantage, or be taken advantage of...

D_Malley

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »
to expand on JES referring to merion.  i thougt of this course imediately.  three distinct sections of this course.

1-6 difficult hard longish holes

7-13 challenging shrt holes

14-18 the back five, arguably the toughest finish in chamionship golf.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 02:55:41 PM »
Interesting . . . a concept used at:

The Old Course
Merion
Pine Valley

adaptable to almost any course, but, as far as I am aware, not used by modern GCAs?

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 03:19:05 PM »

It's pretty damn good, Terry, I agree. I would also include the new 5th and I think the 4th is one of the most underated short par 4's (if that's possible at PB) that I've ever played. That's a hell of a loop!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Brad Klein

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 03:33:54 PM »
How about a loop on its own island? Well, feels like an island, anyway. Rockaway Hunting Club on Long Island, holes 7-14, where you tee off across a channel on the par-4 7th, cross a rickety bridge to get to the fairway, then play three holes along the water, turn inland a little, and then at the par-3 14th play a long shot diagonally across the channel again and then recross that same bridge to get to the green.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »
My favorite loops are 1-9 at Royal County Down and 1-18 at Pine Valley.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 04:03:48 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

bakerg

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »
4-8 at Royal St. George's.

Norbert P

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »
 "The Loop" @ Prestwick Old. ( 15,16,17 & 18 )

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back