News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Duval and Hart granted 'family crisis' extension
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:00:29 AM »
Read all about it here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3047283

I for one will be happy to see DD on the links next year.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Doug Wright

Re:Duval and Hart granted 'family crisis' extension
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »
I played with Dudley Hart at the Honda pro-am in 2001. A very nice guy. During the round, he talked about how he and his wife were having difficulty having kids; next year they had three at once--an abundance of riches!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
Or fertility drugs  :)

I'm glad both will be on tour in 08.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:35:10 PM by Paul Stephenson »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:35:58 PM »
Has anyone heard of the Champions Tour?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:36:15 PM by John Kavanaugh »

JESII

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:04:01 PM »

OK, I'll bite...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:10 PM »

OK, I'll bite...

I thought my comment was obvious in the fact that this is simply a slippery slope which hurts the integrity of the tour.  If they have problems in their life let them wait for the Champions Tour.  I guess the PGA Tour guys really do hate bad luck.

JESII

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 02:43:24 PM »
Duval is about 37 years old...if they didn't give him an exemption he'd be eligible for Tour School...

That's what threw me off about your Champ Tour line...he would only receive this exemption after he requested it...he would only request it if he were interested in playing next year...if he's interested in playing next year he could easily go to Tour School and take a shot...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 02:46:23 PM »
The guy who finishes 126 on the money list would also like to play next year.  We are quickly headed down a path of appearance fees and unlimited sponsor exemptions.  A sick wife or kid is simply rub of the green.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 02:50:08 PM »
I hope Finchem is prepared when someones life partner gets Aids and needs 24 hour care.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »
He's preparing himself...proactively...for the guy that complains about shriveling balls due to steroids...

As to the rest...is it really worth any time to bitch about?

Get back over to your Mac thread...TEP misses you...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 03:00:10 PM »
This is a perfect example of an off topic thread that should have never been allowed to start.

Yes it is worth bitching about because I take great interest in who gets their card by finishing in the top 125 on the money list.  Giving crowd favorites a pass only steals from people who have earned their spot.  I take great pride in the fact that professional golfers earn their salaries based on performance.  This is a slippery slope and if you do not want to hear why then do not continue to condone off topic threads.

JESII

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »
John,

If you are so concerned about the Top 125, have you ever wondered why there are 144 spots in each field? Considering a minimum of 10% of the exempt players skip each event, that leaves 30 or more spots in each week for someone that did "finish inside the top 125"...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 03:13:58 PM »
John,

If you are so concerned about the Top 125, have you ever wondered why there are 144 spots in each field? Considering a minimum of 10% of the exempt players skip each event, that leaves 30 or more spots in each week for someone that did "finish inside the top 125"...

A slippery slope is a slope first and slippery second.  Take a look at how few guys who are currently in the top 125 played less events than Tiger and then look at where they live or went to school.  One or two more guys in the field may bump a guy like that out of the few chances they have to make it on tour without winning or going to Q school.  A link http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/109.html

JESII

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 03:27:04 PM »
JK

I'm not sure where you're going with the "where they live or went to school" bit, but Jeff Overton at 109 and Olin Browne at 162 are the first two guys that played less than Tiger that were not playing every week they wanted to somewhere else...

Dan Boerger

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 03:38:54 PM »
I'll tell you who's happy about this decision ... the broadcasters. Anytime you get to show a former world #1 and major winner, still in his prime golf years, and now struggling to make it chasing the little white ball for a career, well it only makes for good TV.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Robert Thompson

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 04:43:12 PM »
Let's be honest about this -- Duval, as a former major winner and once No. 1 in the world, will have no problem getting sponsor's exemptions for the remainder of his career. However, this crisis exemption will allow him to plan his schedule -- probably the main difference.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »
I work for a major corporation.  I do not care how our competitors handle their HR issues, as long as they are not violating any state or federal laws or regulations.  If they handle exceptions for employees on an inconsistent but legal basis, that should only be a concern for the people employed by the company or wanting to be employed by that company.

Same thing for me with the PGA Tour.  I am happy that I may see more of David Duval next year.  Medical exceptions are a part of their rules or regulations, and have been for many years.  If this exception was made on the same basis as their past medical exceptions or was made outside of their prior guideline, makes no difference to me.  This should only be a matter to those who are members of this organization, or hope to be.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 06:15:45 PM »
I take great pride in the fact that professional golfers earn their salaries based on performance.

Just curious, John... why do YOU "take great pride" in this? You don't have anything to do with it, do you? Aren't you just an observer?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 07:02:48 PM »
I take great pride in the fact that professional golfers earn their salaries based on performance.

Just curious, John... why do YOU "take great pride" in this? You don't have anything to do with it, do you? Aren't you just an observer?

Sadly, if you dress everyday like a golfer you soon start to become identified as a golfer.  

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21:42 PM »
A leave of absence is not unheard of in the corporate world, especially for long-term employees. If every person that ever needed to take extended time off lost their job, corporate America would seem heartless. This is effectively a leave of absence.

The PGA Tour is an organization set up for the players benefit. I doubt that many players would begrudge one of their own taking a leave due to a serious family problem. They'd most likely appreciate the same consideration if they were in the same boat.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 08:27:22 PM »
A leave of absence is not unheard of in the corporate world, especially for long-term employees. If every person that ever needed to take extended time off lost their job, corporate America would seem heartless. This is effectively a leave of absence.

The PGA Tour is an organization set up for the players benefit. I doubt that many players would begrudge one of their own taking a leave due to a serious family problem. They'd most likely appreciate the same consideration if they were in the same boat.

People who earn over a million a year in the corporate world do not take off a year to help a wife with a pregnancy and come back to the same job.  Not unless they are the actual woman of course under threat of lawsuit.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
The LPGA is struggling with this problem also - except under a different set of circumstances.

Is the PGA Tour a pure athletic competition - the last meritocracy in professional sports? Or is it show-business entertainment?

The Tour wants Duval because he has won a Claret Jug and is a far more compelling competitior to the gallery than Dicky Pride, Billie Joe Hickface or any other hamburger-helper papering the field.

There are plenty of Wayne Grady or Todd Hamilton types floating around, but aside from their single moment in the sun (see: Craig Perks), they did not provide great theatre for the casual golf fan.

Hale Irwin got a free pass into the 1990(?) Open and made the most of it - but the real reason was his name recognition. As I recall, Hale was hitting it sideways at that time . . . . .

I used to come down on Barny's side of the wall, but professional sports are so far beyond purity, I say let them fill the field with whoever they want. It is all about revenue - even the USGA.

They'll bend the rules for the sake of name recognition. Michelle Wie is Exhibit A.

It is sort of amusing that the Tour has adopted some elements from NASCAR, but let  "Little E" miss the chase one more time and he'll get a special exemption, too.

Duval shot a 59, won a Jug and was in contention enough at the Masters to draw a paying gallery.

Jing is king.        
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:51:48 PM by Gib Papazian »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 09:08:44 PM »

I used to come down on Barny's side of the wall, but professional sports are so far beyond purity, I say let them fill the field with whoever they want. It is all about revenue - even the USGA.

Someone has to stand up and say no and if I have to continue to stand alone I wll.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
Barny,

In order to work up a spit of this magnitude, it is necessary to care. Personally, with the exception of the two Open Championships and the Masters, I am turned off to the entire PGA Tour.

It has become an obscene money grab, powered by sooped-up golf balls and aerial-game fireworks that have zero resemblance to the game the rest of us play.

Besides, we all know the outcome. It is the same every year: Tiger Wins, the U.S. gets bitch-slapped in the Ryder Cup and John Daly makes a spectacle of himself.

Don't care if they come, stay, lay or pray. I used to be a fan of the weekly dash for a tin cup full of money, but I don't even bother to check the paper on Monday to see who finished 2nd. No need to look at the top of the list.    

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 09:57:29 PM »

Besides, we all know the outcome. It is the same every year: Tiger Wins, the U.S. gets bitch-slapped in the Ryder Cup and John Daly makes a spectacle of himself.

Don't care if they come, stay, lay or pray. I used to be a fan of the weekly dash for a tin cup full of money, but I don't even bother to check the paper on Monday to see who finished 2nd. No need to look at the top of the list.    

Exactly and this family crisis exemption is just another step to give us the same "stars" year after year.  btw..When did the pro tour ever look like the game played by 47 yr old club members?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back