News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_McKenzie

Donald Ross T-shirts
« on: September 26, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »

Pictured above are proofs of two t-shirts we created for the Brunswick Country Club as part of the renovation we are currently performing there.  We are so pleased with the way they turned out; we are looking to use them as a fundraiser for the newly founded Davis Love Foundation which benefits children and family charities (including military) both at the local and national level.  The t-shirts feature a copy of one of Ross’ original green sketches from BCC, the par-3 8th hole to be specific, and we intend to give them away in return for a donation of $35 or more to the Foundation.  Aside from the cost of the shirt and the cost of shipping, 100% of the proceeds (a minimum of around $13) will go directly to the charities supported by the Davis Love Foundation (such as Kyle Petty’s Victory Junction Gang and the Fallen Heroes Foundation).

As a frequent visitor and sometime poster to Golf Club Atlas, I felt this might be something that would appeal to many of you on here.  I contacted Ran and he graciously supported the idea of presenting this idea through the Discussion Group.  I would like to thank Ran for that and also thank Brunswick Country Club for allowing us to take this shirt beyond their existing membership.

The blue t-shirts are made by “Authentic Pigment” and the white version is made by “Haines Beefy-T”.  Both are available in men’s sizes large, x-large, and xx-large.  These shirts are currently not in stock, so please expect a delivery in 4-6 weeks, hopefully sooner.  The blue t-shirt is also available in long sleeve for a donation of $40 or more.

For more details or if you are interested in making a donation in return for a shirt, please send me an email to lgd_jm@bellsouth.net or a private message through this site.

Thanks,

John McKenzie
Love Golf Design

ed_getka

Re:Donald Ross T-shirts
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:36:05 AM »
John,
   Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I can't see pix at work, so I'll take a look tonight and let you know.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:54:15 AM »
In case anyone is wondering, the Hanes Beefy T and the blue Authentic Pigment tees are two of the nicest on the market - I guarantee you will like them as much as any t shirt out there. The AP shirt is a washed out garment dyed t, so it will have a bit of a faded look to it, and it will probably end up being your favorite t shirt.

I sent in my order.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »
Man...

If those things aren't chick magnets...

;D

JMorgan

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:15:01 AM »
Man...

;D

I know... that's why Cowley said he was sending me a free one.

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »
Man...

;D

I know... that's why Cowley said he was sending me a free one.

James....you'll thank me [hope you're not married...if you are, just don't wear them in mixed company].

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Chris Kane

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 05:32:19 PM »
I don't like my chances of picking up in that shirt...

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »
Depends on what you are trying to pick up Chris  ;)

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »
I can only say from my own personal experience....but every time I put mine on, Miss Dawn says "please take that off honey, right now".... ;)
Its really amazing...like if I don't really feel like mowing the lawn, I just slip into one, and its like instant 2 hour R&R. :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:18:13 AM by paul cowley »

JMorgan

Re:Donald Ross T-shirts New
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:34:33 PM by jm »

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 07:07:51 PM »
John,
  Thanks for reformatting the pix, I can see them now. In trying to read the elevation stuff I get the idea that there is a bathtub in the middle of that green, am I reading that right?
"A" is the existing level, and everything around it is a foot higher?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 08:18:19 PM »
Its really amazing...like if I don't really feel like mowing the lawn, I just slip into one, and its like instant 2 hour R&R. :)

Including the one hour and 55 minute nap?..... :P

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 09:44:53 PM »
How many Dork Scale points come with the shirt?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 09:48:52 PM »
How many Dork Scale points come with the shirt?

Unlimited...

It's sort of the gift that keeps on giving.

In fact, I'd propose we set up a fund to contribute to the first guy who actually convinces a woman to get carnal with him while wearing the shirt.*

* Undoctored photographic proof would of course be required before claiming the award.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:15:46 PM by MikeCirba »

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 01:11:43 AM »
OK guys....I do not want to be OT...the purchase of these shirts will really help some of those that could use it, so;

Buy shirts....they are cool and their purchase will help others.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 07:21:47 AM »
I only own two types of shirts..to golf in and to go to funerals in..put a collar on the damn thing.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 08:53:06 AM »
I bow to no man in my love of golf course design but wearing shirts like these, even stamp collectors would be entitled to mock us...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 01:17:55 PM »
I bow to no man in my love of golf course design but wearing shirts like these, even stamp collectors would be entitled to mock us...

In that case, you are charged with a new design. I for one cannot wait to wear....a fresh Prest shirt.......

:P
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

J_McKenzie

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 03:22:32 PM »
Ed,

Here is a copy of the actual sketch that should show the details of the green much better.  Please note that it is basically a three level green, each level rising up a foot from front to back.  Some of the notes refer to grades from the sand green (denoted by the square) that existed at the time of the Ross redesign.

Thanks very much to the people that have contacted us so far and we hope to hear from more of you.  It's a quality t-shirt and a good cause.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 04:24:08 PM »

In that case, you are charged with a new design. I for one cannot wait to wear....a fresh Prest shirt.......

Very good, very good. ;D

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent cause and I'm sure the fabric is delightful to the touch. The graphic, however, reduces a magnificent game of sweeping vistas and lush green undulations to what looks like an algebraic equation.

It will get sneers even at an accountants' picnic, trust me.

But you're right, the least I can do is try and suggest an alternative of my own. So I'm seeing a full colour picture of a corner of Seminole - white sand, palm trees and the Atlantic shimmering beyond.

Beneath it, the words 'Golf courses - the acceptable face of evolution'

Simple, spiritual, whimsical and with the merest hint of back-to-nature. Also, just about sufficiently balanced to engage Creationist and Darwinian women alike.

I commend it to this house.  :)

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 04:29:24 PM »

Very good, very good. ;D

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent cause and I'm sure the fabric is delightful to the touch. The graphic, however, reduces a magnificent game of sweeping vistas and lush green undulations to what looks like an algebraic equation.

It will get sneers even at an accountants' picnic, trust me.

But you're right, the least I can do is try and suggest an alternative of my own. So I'm seeing a full colour picture of a corner of Seminole - white sand, palm trees and the Atlantic shimmering beyond.

Beneath it, the words 'Golf courses - the acceptable face of evolution'

Simple, spiritual, whimsical and with the merest hint of back-to-nature. Also, just about sufficiently balanced to engage Creationist and Darwinian women alike.

I commend it to this house.  :)

The point of the design is to highlight the sketches. It has real meaning to the folks in the project, and likely many of the posters on the site.

The point of the project is to raise money for a good cause.

And I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in what others, especially accountants, think of the design.

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me my line of Famous Physicist t's doesn't have a viable commercial market....

:)

There's plenty of "pretty" t shirts out there if that's what you want - plenty of hip ones, too. This one has meaning.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 04:32:15 PM »
Oops, took my eye off the ball. Got it into my head that we were celebrating Ross and raising money for a good cause at the same time. Forgot that there's a specific Ross course involved.

Still, I'm sure there's a stunning corner of Brunswick CC you can use instead of Seminole.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 04:47:21 PM »
George, I tell you why I got involved in this debate. Time after time, I have to defend this game against people who think golf is a joke.

They mistake the 'social engineering' aspect of certain golf clubs for the essence of the game and I work overtime trying to show them where they go wrong. Usually to no avail. Still, they insist that the game is some kind of elitist freakshow.

If I was to wear a T-shirt like that being proposed here, it would be the final nail in my coffin. I can hear the derision now: "Elitist AND slightly mad".

Bu you know what? You're absolutely right. If the majority of the potential market goes for the meaning of the design and to hell with what anyone else thinks, then the shirt's a winner and I need a new windmill to tilt at.

Good debate, nonetheless.

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 04:54:37 PM »
Jeffrey, I respect your stance, but a handful of people wearing this t isn't going to change anything other than putting a little bit of money where it's needed.

Someone ignorant enough to only focus on the social engineeing aspect of certain golf clubs isn't going to be swayed by the most beautiful t shirt in the world, nor the ugliest. That person isn't even going to be swayed by rational debate. The only thing that will change that person is direct, one on one, experience. And they probably aren't even open minded enough to allow that to happen, let along change their opinions.

paul cowley

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 10:10:39 PM »
Jeffrey....no offense but you are probably not the market we are aiming at....its more of the golf archi/nerdi crowd, of which more than a few exist here. People who are not so much interested in the picture's composition, but the message it represents.

I think the shirt says about those who would wear it, "this is an interest of mine and I'm really not concerned if its one of yours...I'm comfortable in my skin...but I would be happy to discuss it if you want".

You must hang out with a tough peer group. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back