News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Las Vegas Golf
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »
So the family has a trip to Vegas planned for November, for a week.

Having never been (and not even really wanting to go, honestly, but still...), are there any courses at all that are affordable, say $100 or under?

No junior rates at courses, I'm guessing..?

I'm not asking to play something as nice as Shadow Creek or of that caliubur, just affordable and something I would enjoy.

Thanks.

Craig Van Egmond

Re:Las Vegas Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 05:37:08 PM »

Jordan,

The short answer is no, there are no golf courses under $100 that are worth playing in the greater Las Vegas area. There used to be some, Boulder Creek and Primm Valley, if you wanted a drive, but not anymore. Its over priced and under whelming stuff, sorry.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:55:14 PM »
There are usually a bunch of Hispanics handing out discount golf cards as you walk down the street.  They do not like handing them to minors so you want to ask your mom to go over and get a few.

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 06:16:49 PM »
Jordan, I have to concur with Craig. If you are willing to spend some money, Paiute's 3 courses are not bad at all, especially the Wolf course. One of the better Dye courses I've played. Cool setting too. Stay away from ALL the course's near the strip. Bali Hi, Royal Links, Angel Park, Badlands etc, etc are all way over rated. And of course the Wynn courses are ridiculously expensive. Wish there was better news, but there it is.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jesse Jones

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »
Jordan,
I know you love to golf, but Vegas is not a great place to play on a budget.
I've got a MUCH better idea.
Spend the money to grab a spot at the Mandalay Bay pool.
Trust me, Jordan, two hours just flies by there.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 06:29:42 PM »
Is the fam intent on it being a "family vacation"?  Otherwise, I'd be shooting the old angle of 'home alone' staying back to play CB with what I would have spent in Vegas...  ;) ;D

Perhaps also look into Mesquite or St Georges for cheaper golf.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 06:38:15 PM »
Better yet Jordan,

Just tell Ma and Pa you are going to stay back and then take a trip to Bandon.  BY Novemeber the rates are reduced and you could just sleep in your car to save your scratch....  :)

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »
 8) ;D :D

JW

the course at Paiute (sp?) Indian Reservation are nice and not as pricey ...about 20 minutes outside the city

although the Mandalay Pool sounds pretty cool for a single dude

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Yes, you can find decent golf in the Las Vegas area in your price range, but you're going to have to drive a little bit and tee off in the afternoon to get the twilight rates.  Boulder Creek's twilight rates are $60 - $70, and the Sun Mountain and Snow Mountain courses at Paiute are $90 - $110 depending on when in November.

Richard Choi

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »
If you want to pay less than $100, there are only two options:

1. Drive 90 minute to Utah and play the courses in St. Georges (some very nice courses with reasonable fees there).

2. Go during mid-summer, bare the 100+ degrees and play all the "famous" courses for 1/2 green fees.

Jed Peters

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »
No kidding vegas is expensive!

I'm playing the following schedule, starting tomorrow....

Tuesday 25th: Bear's Best

http://www.bearsbest.com

1:00 tee time/$150/per person

Wednesday 26th: Paiute

http://www.lvpaiutegolf.com/

36 Holes, $259 with Replay

9:00 on Snow Course, 1:30 on Wolf Course

Thursday 27th: The Falls at Lake Las Vegas

http://www.lakelasvegas.com/golf_falls.asp

10:50, $275/per person

Friday 28th: The Legacy GC

http://www.thelegacygc.com/newpage.asp?id=124&page=1666

9:00, $80 per person

Total Cost:

$729 for 5 rounds = $145 per round average

Ouchie.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 07:39:21 PM »
No kidding vegas is expensive!

I'm playing the following schedule, starting tomorrow....

Tuesday 25th: Bear's Best

http://www.bearsbest.com

1:00 tee time/$150/per person

Wednesday 26th: Paiute

http://www.lvpaiutegolf.com/

36 Holes, $259 with Replay

9:00 on Snow Course, 1:30 on Wolf Course

Thursday 27th: The Falls at Lake Las Vegas

http://www.lakelasvegas.com/golf_falls.asp

10:50, $275/per person

Friday 28th: The Legacy GC

http://www.thelegacygc.com/newpage.asp?id=124&page=1666

9:00, $80 per person

Total Cost:

$729 for 5 rounds = $145 per round average

Ouchie.

Jed,

Who are you and why would you pay for that punishment.  What is the backstory and who is really footing the bill?

Jed Peters

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 08:01:58 PM »
John:

I'm paying for it. I'm a DINK (dual income no kids) with a buddy on a golf trip.

The way I see it, those are some of the best in the area, reasonably priced (Cascada, Wynn, Southern Highlands, Shadow are closed for overseeding) considering costs there, and where I can get on.

The only thing I see as overpriced (okay, all of them are) for Vegas is Falls, and I just want to see the course and what they did out there.

I may only do 18 at Paiute, and in that case we will play Wolf.

Oh, and I'm staying at the Mandalay. You think golf's expensive?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 08:39:42 PM »
Spend the money to grab a spot at the Mandalay Bay pool.
Trust me, Jordan, two hours just flies by there.

I am headed there in November for 15th Wedding Anniversary with my wife to see The "O" Show and the Beatles "Love". Screwed on two fronts, no clubs and Mandalay Bay pool would be no fun with my wife!

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 10:10:01 PM »
When the weather is good I have had a lot of fun at the driving range on the south end of the strip,past Mandalay.The planes come in close.I think there is a little par 3 course there also.

mike_beene

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »
Jordan,in the Venetian there is a store called In Celebration of Golf.Upstairs they have a good book section with stuff you dont see other places.

igrowgrass

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 10:42:31 PM »

JW

looks like that option is out for you buddy.  Since your in "$#%"

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 10:57:15 PM »
There are usually a bunch of Hispanics handing out discount golf cards as you walk down the street.  They do not like handing them to minors so you want to ask your mom to go over and get a few.

Jordan,
Be very careful with this advise and don't pick up any litter.
Your mom might not appreciate it.

Angel Park and Badlands are under $100 in the afternoon.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:04:52 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 11:03:57 PM »

JW

looks like that option is out for you buddy.  Since your in "$#%"

Sean,

She's not gonna be there so.....

Thanks for all the suggestions though...I am leaning toward maybe just two rounds instead of perhaps four, and playing Wolf Creek and one other.
Is this a good way to go, rather than just play some ho hum crap for $80 in late evening?

Thanks again!

igrowgrass

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 11:05:55 PM »
but your conscious will be.
I saw an add for a website the other day that might help you out.
www.singleplayer.com

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 01:35:07 AM »
Jordan,

Tough choices...

I went this summer, but my clubs just sat in the hotel room. Every day was 108 to 112 and without a playing partner I could not justify going out on my own and leaving my wife at the pool!

After looking at the options before the trip, I really had my sights set on Wolf Creek. I felt like that would be the most intriguing from a GCA view. I've played Dye and Nicklaus before. If not, The Wolf or Reflection Bay would have been on the list. Primm was also a consideration.

Cheers, Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

John Mayhugh

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 02:02:53 AM »

I'm still laughing over this fine advice.  

I've played in Mesquite a couple of times and Wolf Creek is certainly a beautiful course to look at and play, especially if it's just one or two rounds.  I think you should enjoy it.  Keep in mind that it's easily an hour and a half drive from hotels on the strip.  The Palmer course at Oasis in Mesquite isn't bad either.  

But if you're under 21, I would be trying to avoid a trip to Vegas.  Better golf (especially money-wise) elsewhere.

Mickey Boland

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 07:03:01 AM »
Jordan,in the Venetian there is a store called In Celebration of Golf.Upstairs they have a good book section with stuff you dont see other places.

I was in Vegas in May and this place was closed.  I usually stopped by there when I was in town.  Unless it was justed closed for remodeling or something.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 09:54:12 AM »
Jordan:

Go to Boulder Creek -- in Boulder City and has 27 holes. Very affordable and quite good.

I second the notion on going to Mesquite / St. George (UT) because you will get more bang for your buck than most of the clear options available in Clark County.

Wolf Creek is an acquired taste in Mesquite -- I like it alot. Sort of like excellent Thai food -- those who prefer steakfood should avoid it. If you have taste for something that's quite different than you'll love it.

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 10:28:37 AM »
A week vacation in Vegas ???

5 days too long......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back