News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Pine Valley #2: redemption
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »
The first time I played PV, I hit a sand wedge approach to number 2 that I thought was perfect. I get up to the green only to see my ball spun off the green and into the little pot bunker on the left. 6 attempts later, I was putting for a nine and made myself a ten. What a heartbreaking start to my first and potentially only round at the world's greatest course.

Fast forward to this weekend (fortunately I have played PV a number of times since the first) and I hit another sand wedge on #2 and the same damn thing happens. This time I hit it out sideways and make a double. However, we played again yesterday, and I had the same shot, but this time, draino, it is in the hole for a deuce!!! Since I saved the ball from my first experience, I am going to put this bad boy right next to it. The golf gods aren't such evil beings after all.
Mr Hurricane

PThomas

Re:Pine Valley #2: redemption
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »
way to go bud!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »
The golf gods giveth and taketh away (or in this case, vice versa). Well done Jim!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:46:41 AM »
What a heartbreaking start to my first and potentially only round at the world's greatest course.

Fast forward to this weekend (fortunately I have played PV a number of times since the first)

James,

I think Vegas would have looooved the other side of that bet. I personally never had a doubt!  ;D

Ron Farris

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »
Wow!
2 is a great score on any hole, but at Pine Valley that has to feel good.  
My son made his first eagle, 2, when he holed a 110 yd nine iron that spun back into the cup on a short par 4, in a middle school fundraiser, yesterday.  

As a midwestern golfer we only dream of playing PV.  I know I owe it to myself to see the place, but to play and make a duece would put the experianece over the top.

Great comeback!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:08:23 AM »
Way to go Thelma!!!

Thelma: You're a real live outlaw, aren't ya?
J.D.: Well I may be an outlaw, darlin', but you're the one stealing my heart.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:10:40 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:28:52 AM »
Wow....
Awesome.

Where was the pin (each time)?

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 11:46:11 AM »
Thelma: I know it's crazy, but I just feel like I got a knack for this shit.
Louise: I believe you do.

Nice shot!!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »
Mike -

The first two times the pin was 18 steps on toward the middle and my ball hit 15 steps on and came back. The deuce came with the pin 15 steps on toward the right side. Two others in my group almost holed chip shots so it looks like a favorable spot for balls to roll. I don't care how favorable a spot it was, it went in. That is an awesome green as well.
Mr Hurricane

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 01:12:20 PM »
Congratulations Jim.  I think 2 is one of my favorite holes on the course.

It makes me sick though to think that you can hit a sand wedge into a green that I hit 7 iron.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »
Tommy -

In the morning round (we played 36 Sat and 18 Sun) I hit a wedge after 3 wood off the tee, but used driver the last two rounds and hit it to the #5 sprinkler which I believe is 80 yards to the front edge.

Oh yeah, two Five Farms guys played two Oakmont guys (one was a +1) in 4 18 hole matches and the Five Farms guys won 3-1. Sorry George. We also won the late night putting contest at the cottage too.
Mr Hurricane

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 01:37:59 PM »
Jim:

That probably just proves it takes some time and thought to get to know Pine Valley and its nuancy shot values, particularly the greens but in the case of #2 very much the approach shot. The point is due to the extreme height of that green and the extreme back to front slope that approach shot is functionally about the longest to actually yardage I've ever seen.

By the way, the right side of the 2nd green is essentially an elongated swale and if the pin is in a spot side to side in that swale that might be referred to as the center of the swale or perhaps the so-called "fall-line" then it will be quite easy going up or particularly coming down for balls to get into that "fail-line" and just trickle into the hole (depending on how far up into the green the ball went in relation to the pin vis-a-vis its speed coming down).

That swale from back to front is pretty steep and for that reason if you are putting on that green from anywhere fairly far above a pin around 10 steps or less from the front, you basiclally have to hit a putt called the Zorro putt simply to try to get the speed right so the ball might go in the hole and not off the front of the green.

I hope I explained all that clearly enough.  ;)

I once sunk that Zorro putt (it actually had to be explained to me before I tried it) from about 40 feet above that pin you described. I basically hit it sideways and the ball just proceeded to rock from one side of the swale to the other and when it got down to the pin it went in at sort of an angle.

Not only was it probably the neatest putt I ever sunk it also might have taken longer to get to the cup than any putt I ever hit anywhere.

It seemed to me it was about 40 feet above the pin (on a straight line) but on its way to the pin because of the side to side path the ball may've traveled over 100 feet.

How cool is that?

I'll tell you how cool it is.

It's not as cool as a deuce but it was the coolest birdie putt I've ever had.  ;)

And not just that, it won an overtime match.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 01:44:59 PM by TEPaul »

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 05:59:03 PM »
I love this hole as well, but the one time I played there, I hit 3 wood into the junk on the right, then over the green, and made a big number.
After that, I decided to hit driver almost everywhere, made birdies on #4, #16, and #18, and had a very enjoyable round.
I did leave a 15 footer on the lip on #17, which if it went in, would've been a heck of a finish.  But I'll definitely take 2 out of 3!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back