News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike McGuire

great scorecards
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »

Our club is ordering new scorecards and we are looking for some ideas. Can anyone provide examples of their favorites?

Ours seem a little busy and has pictures of the fountains in the pond.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re:great scorecards
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »
The simpler the better in my opinion.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:09:22 AM »
Oak Hill's scorecards are nice. they have creases that you can bend so they work well for walkers.
Mr Hurricane

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:13:02 AM »
See Pine Needles or TCC and Essex County Club in MA.

They look like they haven't changed since the 30s.

I also like the slits so a pencil can be slid into the card itself and held there.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:14:01 AM »
I think that the scorecard should somehow reflect the personality of the club.  I've always liked a scorecard with just the club logo on the front, though I haven't seen many.  Such a setup is very simple and elegant, to me.

Also, it's sometimes a nice touch when the club puts the word "strokes" instead of "handicap."  I believe that that is the case on an old Pine Valley card in our house.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 10:44:41 AM »
Tim,

The new PV scorecards have HCP on them.  I like ones that are a bit glossy on the outside so they don't melt in your pocket in summer time swelters.  While it isn't a scorecard, I had the St. Louis CC yardage book in my pocket since there were no caddies that day (105* and humid).  That thing bled like crazy and I was walking around with a big cardinal red arse all day without even realizing it.  My wife couldn't get all of the dye out and my good shorts have a nice splotch of red ink on my right cheek.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:44:59 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 10:50:36 AM »
Wayne -

That is why they sell those little leather folders to keep books and cards in. There is nothing worse than sweating through your scorecard or what happened to you. It happened to me a few times before I went out and got two of the leather "wallets". One for the vertical clubs and one for the horizontal.
Mr Hurricane

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 12:22:28 PM »
Here are some that I find attractive.

First, probably my ideal socrecard. Less is more......

While I haven't played here, this one from Banff always looked really neat....

But this one is hard to beat, although I don't know if I like the website address on there....

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »
Check out Applebrook (Hanse) in suburban Philly.  It's small, easy to write on, and has a cutout for your pencil.  

David Whitmer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 01:09:21 PM »
I agree with many others that less is more. I like the logo on the front, perhaps with the year the club was founded. I like the slit for a pencil. On the back, I don't care for it when the pro's name is on there. I know they all like to see their names on a card (I was one, so I know how many of them think), but I think it makes it cluttered and has a "look at me" quality to it. I also agree with Tim..."strokes" instead of "handicap." Use of the word "strokes" is old-school and very classy.

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:10:27 PM »
While I wouldn't call it great, I always thought this was one of the more unique I've come across.

From left to right, Lawson Little, Jimmy Demaret, the middle person's name escapes me, Hogan, George Fazio and Scotty Chisholm.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Yost

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:36 PM »
While I wouldn't call it great, I always thought this was one of the more unique I've come across.

... the middle person's name escapes me, ...

That would be Steve Buscemi's dad.

;)

Tom

paul westland

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »
Mike:  the Prestwick and Rye template could be useful  as a players card-members card for like minded souls.  The vertical design is intuitively practical and elegant as others have said.  An appropriately enhanced (color, holes..) version of the minimalist version seems worth exploring. A sincere thank you for Langford Moreau hosting.........Cheers!

Mike McGuire

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 08:17:19 PM »
Thanks for the great suggestions. I like the look of the vertical card. And the club logo only on the front is simple and elegant.

One of the criticisms of our current card is there is not enough room to keep track of scotch games, individual games etc. Would the vertical card have the same problem? Is it a problem? Do I have a problem?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 10:56:05 PM »
Shivas is right.

The best scorecards are basic, and scoring goes top to bottom.

If a map is needed, it's very rudimentary, preferably a simple line-drawing.

The only obvious color should come from the club's logo.

I also am biased towards those cards that offer no par, no slope or course rating, but that still incongruously offer handicap number on holes.

There should be no gloss, no pictures, and my lord, no ads.

It should be six inches long for those still playing stymies, and about 2.5 inches narrow.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 11:49:08 PM »
Apologies in advance if i missed it, but what is the "bogey" column where some holes have the same score as par?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:49:19 PM by Don Dinkmeyer »

MHiserman

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:51 AM »
My Fav's right now are Friar's Head and The Lost tee of Bandon Dunes.
Friar's is genius.
"Whether my schedule for the next day called for a tournament round or a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel priviledged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get on the course"-BH

MSusko

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 08:29:52 AM »
Mike,

Check out www.GroupWArtWorks.com.  Lee Wybranski is the designer there and has done our scorecards at Cobb's Creek for a few years now.  He has also done the US Open logos for the USGA for the past few years.  If you want something that looks simple and classical he's the guy.

Mark

Tom Yost

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:27 AM »
Here is one of my favorites - perhaps an example of a "not-so-great" scorecard design:

Tom

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:59 AM »
i recently found a whole bunch of cards i'd collected from about 50 or 60 scottish clubs that i played back in the mid-eighties (when i were a lad)... they were all very, very simple and the majority resembled the prestwick card... this style remains my favourite...

...i find that clubs only 100% confident with the quality of their course go down that route nowadays though... everyone else throws in too much colour...

Michael Moore

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »
At my club we don't even have scorecards. When you win a hole you just carve a notch into your forearm with a broken tee and after the round you compare arms at the bar.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

JNC Lyon

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »
Best Scorecard = Friar's Head.  No yardages, no handicaps, just hole numbers and par.  The logo is awesome as well.  

As an avid collector of scorecards, this might be my favorite.  I have the one's pictured above from Banff, Old Town, Old Course, and Royal St. George's.  The RSG one is very cool, as is Banff.  I also have a Highlands Links scorecard (vintage scorecard, mind you) that has descriptions of all the hole names in English and French, which I thought was very neat and unique.  

My card from North Berwick is also a classic with the painting on the front (same thing with the Harbor Town scorecard).  I also my scorecard from a short course in Scotland called Cawdor Castle, with some excellent hole names on it (the second hole is a 100-yard hole named "No Swearing").

Overall Friar's Head takes the cake.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:46:37 AM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 10:43:11 AM »
Is the fact that Scottish cards are in yards proof of the ultimate death of the metric system?

i'm guessing you are not being serious here...

...but just in case you are and for the record, scottish and english clubs never used metres in their measurements... continental europe always did and ireland has an identity problem deciding whether it wants to hang on to tradition or be seen as part of europe... but what do you expect from a nation that has its road distances in kilometres and its speed limits in miles per hours (or at least did until last year)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »
Mike,

Check out www.GroupWArtWorks.com.  Lee Wybranski is the designer there and has done our scorecards at Cobb's Creek for a few years now.  He has also done the US Open logos for the USGA for the past few years.  If you want something that looks simple and classical he's the guy.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the link.   The Cobbs layout is quite well done.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back