News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

(and) Is this the best fairway in links golf?
« on: September 16, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »

astavrides

Re:(and) Is this the best fairway in links golf?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:13:32 AM »
thats pretty amazing.  where is it?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »
It is the 6th at Westward Ho! (Royal North Devon). Have a look at the picture by Mike Miller in the Art and Architecture section of the site.

Jay Cox

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 12:09:04 PM »
On this one, Philip, I think that I agree, though I haven't played nearly enough links golf to judge.

And if it's the best fairway in links golf, is there any doubt that it's the best fairway in all of golf?  How could any parkland fairway possibly compare to that?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »
Your are right, links likely to beat inland when it comes to exceptional fairways. Inasmuch as contours and movement are what add character to a fairway, this takes a lot of beating. A hole like the 17th at Durban Country Club has some amazing movement on a larger scale - but this one is unique in its own way.

Mark_F

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 09:38:57 PM »
Philip,

Is there any chance to avoid/minimise an ungainly stance and odd lie amongst all those eruptions by placing a shot in a particular spot, or are you going to end up playing your next balanced on your head whatever?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:03:25 PM »
I've only seen one links fairway that could even begin to compete with this one for rumpling.  

#15 at Ballyliffin Old
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

David Schofield

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 01:12:06 AM »
I would assume that only four-legged "lawn mowers" can get the job done out there... ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 01:18:09 AM »
Philip,
   For my taste that is too much movement. I would begin to get seasick going through that. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 03:03:06 AM »
Yes, RND certainly gives the impression that the green's staff has four legs!

Mark, I think you find more flattish lies out there than you might assume, but you are a better man than me if you can shoot for them! I have it down more as a hit and hope sort of a hole.

Ed, you would find it less of an assault on the senses than you might think. In truth, I only focused on the land of this hole after Mike Miller's picture focused me on it.

It is a magical place to be when the light is low.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 03:09:36 AM »
Philip

It's been along time since I've ben there, but from the picture (and the lack of any lasting memory of it) I'd call that the rumpliest links fairway, but not the best by any means.

Rich

Steve Kline

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:58:57 AM »
If it's a hit and hope shot from the tee how can it be best the fairway? It may be the most fun to look at it, but the hole seems totally devoid of strategy since there can't be any way to control where your tee shot will go. Interesting yes, but best fairway no.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 09:15:11 AM »
It is a long time since I saw the word "rumpliest" Rich!!

You chaps are being a bit literal today! I am just making the claim that it is amongst the most memorable/compelling links-land that I have seen - you have got to make allowances for the hype that goes into headline writing!

Steve - the hole is not devoid of strategy. Wait till I post a picture of the green and then you can quickly work out that there is a better way to play the hole. I just described how I play the hole - doubtless you are a better golfer than me and approach these matters in a more planned way!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 11:50:02 AM »
That's gotta be one bumpy cart ride (don't worry, I'm joking).  I can't imagine how you could mow a fairway like that, but it has to be a lot of fun to play.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
Too many bumps for me . . .

-Ted

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 12:00:52 PM »
Philip, is this sort of a photo that is a bit deceptive in depth perception?  I am too lazy to look it up, but wonder if this isn't a very shot par 4 in the under 300 range and that it is basically target golf.  Is there really only one small LZ that is less severely rumpled near where those gents are standing at about 200 yards out -then a short flip to the green?  Or, is this a chance for the big ball hitter to go for the green?  

It is a compelling photo, indeed.  It raises many questions in my mind about mowing and general maintenance...  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 12:45:13 PM »
RJD - Sean remembers right - the hole is 406 yards, so not driveable, especially since it is often (I think) into the prevailing wind.

In relation to the mowing - I will show you a picture of it when I get time. When I was there the mower was taking a rest in one of the bunkers with its other woolly, four-legged friends!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 12:58:44 PM »
Thanks for the info... I think I have a better idea now, and look forward to the photo of the cute mower.  ::) ;D

To be honest, if it were one hole or a section of the property that this photo depicts of a few holes, with the rest of the course moderating to more definable FWs, then I'd be good with it as being unique, quirky and fun.  If the whole course were like this, I'd pass, IMHO.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 06:03:25 PM »
That is a cool fairway.  But the first one that came to mind for me (partly because I was talking about it in the car with Brian Schneider today) was the 16th fairway at Rye.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »
That's a fairway??

Come on, you're funnin' me.

Where's the first cut rough, then the second cut rough, then the primary rough, then the.....?  

Whatever you do Westward Ho! do not---I repeat DO NOT let the USGA anywhere near your golf course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 07:05:53 PM »
Tom:

The greenkeeper at the Royal North Devon club has really tried, but he just CANNOT train the sheep and horses to graze the holes in step cuts.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »
Sure it is a totally cool lunar landscape, but I'm pretty certain that there might be few natural fairways that are better.  Off the top of my head, #16 NGLA, #18 Sand Hills, #9, 10, 16, 18 at Shinny.  And how about #13 at County Louth.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 11:18:09 PM »
Phillip, great picture.  The first time I played the course I just stood there with my mouth open.  I had never seen anything like this fairway.  I have played there a dozen times and I still stand on the fairway in disbelief.  The second shot is really fun.  you could have any kind of stance.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 08:20:21 AM »
That is a cool fairway.  But the first one that came to mind for me (partly because I was talking about it in the car with Brian Schneider today) was the 16th fairway at Rye.

I thought Rye, too. Sure you don't mean 15?

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back