News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

If you were going to TNT one hole into oblivion...
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »
....for any reason.  Axe to Grind?  Hate the Super? Just Bored? Terrorist in Training? Completely random? Think you can build it better? Think the archie was on drugs when he built it? The hole is too pure to be shared with a cynical world?

Which hole would it be??
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:01:45 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tom Huckaby

Re:If you were going to TNT one hole into oblivion...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:04:34 PM »
LOL

OK, this might mean nothing except to the Bay Area boys, but I shall nominate:

#8 at Summitpointe GC, Milpitas, CA

Dog leg left around and up a mountainside such that only the hardest of hooks have any prayer holding the fairway.  This causes hard-hat requirements for the golfers on 9, who get bombarded by the inevitable shots coming their way (9 doglegs along side 8 in reverse direction).

I hated this hole the first time I played it, 25 years ago.  I have come to only grow in my hatred since.

So, please provide the TNT and we can make something of this hole.  Only thing is the homeowners on the hillside will not be pleased.

TH

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:04:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »
Nice one Huck...

Another bay area reference, but people might remember it on here from the long debate.  The 18th at Delta View in Pittsburg CA.

Plays similar to 16 at CPC
Configured similar to 16 at CPC
Trouble/Hazards is similar to 16 at CPC
Often Windy as hell like 16 at CPC....

But cause it ain't like 16 at CPC due to the scenery, as Pat Mucci will persuade/beat in you....then it must be blown up  ;D ;D

Phil Benedict

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »
Maybe the 18th at Yale because I've ended up in my pocket 4 of the 5 times I've played it.  It's definitely a weird hole although it has its defenders.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 04:18:31 PM »
The 14th at Lake San Marcos CC. Ugh!!!

The 6th and 7th at Shorecliffs. (the whole damn course for that matter with the exception of 13)

13 at El Camino CC.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 04:18:32 PM »
Nice one Huck...

Another bay area reference, but people might remember it on here from the long debate.  The 18th at Delta View in Pittsburg CA.

Plays similar to 16 at CPC
Configured similar to 16 at CPC
Trouble/Hazards is similar to 16 at CPC
Often Windy as hell like 16 at CPC....

But cause it ain't like 16 at CPC due to the scenery, as Pat Mucci will persuade/beat in you....then it must be blown up  ;D ;D

And on top of that, before he blows up the hole, Pat will tell us who have played it how much more about it he knows from looking at an aerial and a few photos... all the while never allowing such from anyone else.

Yes, for these reasons the hole does need to be obliterated.

;D

TH
ps - Phil - I liked 18 Yale.  But I can certainly understand complaints about it.  It is odd to say the least.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 04:33:29 PM »
Huck,

I haven't played the 18th at Yale often enough to tell what club to use off the tee and what line to take.  So I've hit some decent drives that have run through the fairway, from where I've made a mess of the hole.  The last time I hit a three wood and that was too much club.  I wish they would use the back, elevated tee but it hasn't been in play when I've been there.  This would improve the visuals on the drive.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 04:34:49 PM »
Phil:

I've only played it once and it was several years ago.  I sure seem to remember playing from an elevated back tee though... I also remember the tee shot working just fine - it was after that that the hole got "interesting."

TH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 04:40:17 PM »
One of my own -- probably the 18th at High Pointe, although it would require special dispensation from the Michigan DNR to improve it significantly.

Off a great course -- I've already had the pleasure of dismantling the 13th at San Francisco Golf Club and restoring the original hole.  Next up is the 17th at Pasatiempo.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 04:41:24 PM »
One of my own -- probably the 18th at High Pointe, although it would require special dispensation from the Michigan DNR to improve it significantly.

Off a great course -- I've already had the pleasure of dismantling the 13th at San Francisco Golf Club and restoring the original hole.  Next up is the 17th at Pasatiempo.

Tom, I've heard that work on the 17th at Pasa just started. True?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 04:42:19 PM »
There goes Tom Huckaby, just agreeing to be agreeing again.....If you were to take the sum of all those agreements over the years, you'd have enough ass-kissing to get you past Rosie O'Donnell's behind (plus mine for that matter. That's a lot of behind) ;)

Just hassling you Tom! Love ya, mean it. But I do think your completely if not entirely wrong about Yale. It's just a quirky hole that has probably evolved in a direction that makes many uncomfortable. Me, it's quirky and fun and strategic.

Holes I would like to dynamite.....Where do I start? ? ?

Anaheim Hill's Heliport hole.

Fred Couples could use a patented 3 wood up that hill and watch it roll back to him time and time again. Simply a horrible golf hole.

Shadow Creek #17

If ever there was a more over-admired, over-exagerrated, over-inflated, over-glamorized golf hole, it's Shadow Creek #17. Reminds me of a cheap $20.oo Vegas whore dressed in drag.

Some Odd Hole Outside of Portland

John V. over the years has described to me of a hole east of Portland--a par 5 which is like a five iron off the tee, a five iron for the second and a three or four iron or something to that effect for the approach.

There are more. Just give me some time...

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 04:45:26 PM »

There are more. Just give me some time...

There isn't enough time, Tommy, living where we live to cover this!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 04:46:06 PM »

John V. over the years has described to me of a hole east of Portland--a par 5 which is like a five iron off the tee, a five iron for the second and a three or four iron or something to that effect for the approach.

Tommy,
That would be the 1st at Black Butte's Glaze Meadow course.

I posted a recommendation for High Pointe at the same time
Tom Doak did. Deleting the redundancy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:51:40 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 04:53:54 PM »
There goes Tom Huckaby, just agreeing to be agreeing again.....If you were to take the sum of all those agreements over the years, you'd have enough ass-kissing to get you past Rosie O'Donnell's behind (plus mine for that matter. That's a lot of behind) ;)

Just hassling you Tom! Love ya, mean it. But I do think your completely if not entirely wrong about Yale. It's just a quirky hole that has probably evolved in a direction that makes many uncomfortable. Me, it's quirky and fun and strategic.

And how is what I said any different than what you just said?  I said I personally like the hole.. but that I can understand how others have issues with it.  How is that in any way different from "It's just a quirky hole that has probably evolved in a direction that makes many uncomfortable."?????

Interesting world we have here, when one person says he can see the viewpoint of another and is called an ass-kisser, another says damn near exactly the same thing while hassling the first.

But you've always been a piece of work, Thomas.

TH

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:55:20 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Phil Benedict

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 05:02:31 PM »
Huckaby likes the 18th at Yale but maybe he feels my pain regarding the hole.  The guy has too much empathy for his own good.  Must be a Democrat.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 05:04:26 PM »
Huckaby likes the 18th at Yale but maybe he feels my pain regarding the hole.  The guy has too much empathy for his own good.  Must be a Democrat.

The day I talk politics in here is the day I leave here for good.  Tommy's probably now going to start a political discussion.   ;)

I guess I should have just said I can see how the hole makes others "uncomfortable."  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:15:26 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Stan Dodd

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 05:28:25 PM »
15 Cruden Bay.
quacky not quirky.
In tournaments they need a spotter just so the hole can be completed.  In the 4-day open there are regularly 3 groups on the hole, one playing and two waiting on the tee.
A bad blemish on an otherwise fun course.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »

Tommy,
That would be the 1st at Black Butte's Glaze Meadow course.

I posted a recommendation for High Pointe at the same time
Tom Doak did. Deleting the redundancy.

Come on Pete. Everyone thinks that's a great hole. ;)

Me I would blow up the 7th (if that's not right, Kalen knows which one) at Thanksgiving Point.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JMorgan

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »

The original... ?  Name the hole, win a prize.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:07:20 AM by JMorgan »

mike_beene

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 08:16:41 PM »
Is that a face on the fairway?

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 08:25:13 PM »
Which hole would it be??

#18 Whistling Straits

jim_lewis

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 10:20:15 PM »
In no particular order the following come quickly to mind:

#1 at Talamore
#1 at Beaver Creek
#9 at CC of Castle Pines
#17 at Wade Hampton ( a chain saw will suffice.)
#9 at Tobacco Road
#13 at Tobacco Road
#1 at Cliffs of Glassy
#1 at Pinehurst #8
#13 at Governors Club
#18 at Barton Creek Foothills
#18 at CCNC-Dogwood
#5 at Long Cove
#17 at Old Tabby
#12 at Newcastle-Coal Creek
#17 at TPC-Sawgrass
#16 at Bandon Dunes
Tot Hill Farm and Olde Beau (pick any hole!)

I've got lots more but I'll stop before I step on too many toes.
BTW, add my vote for Yale #18.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

jim_lewis

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »
Oops. I see you wanted only one hole. If you will allow me to name two, I'll choose the 18th at CCNC Dogwood and the 17th at  Wade Hampton (All I want to do there is cut down one tree.)  I play those couses several times a year, and I can easily avoid the others.

Jim
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 10:32:42 PM »
Tom Doak,

What are the odds of blowing up the non-Tillinghast holes at Shawnee?   By my count, that would be about 23.  ;)

Seriously, is that something you see happening?

Jesse Jones

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 10:44:36 PM »
Number 4 at Longaberger.
Just an awful hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back