News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Old Golf Magazine Top 100 lists
« on: August 24, 2007, 05:18:02 AM »
Was checking through some old notes came across a note that Hidden Creek and Meadow Brook were both at one time on a Golf Magazine Top 100 list.

Can anyone verify if they were and if so, what year(s)?

Thanks!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Re:Old Golf Magazine Top 100 lists
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 08:09:51 AM »
Hidden Creek was 72 in the 2003 Top 100 in the U.S.

Masa (the star of the moment) did an IMO piece on all of the GOLF World 100 lists, since its inception, which can be found here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionmasa.html

I do not believe either made the World 100.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:23:02 AM »
I'm a little disappointed not to see Foulepointe among any of those lists.  ::)

Mark Manuel

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:16:11 PM »
A guy could get lost in all this stuff.  But, look at the first hidden gems list.  Crystal Downs goes from hidden gem to top 25.  NCR South goes from hidden gem to nothing.

NCR South is a great golf course, sad that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »
Mark:

That's the way the hidden gems go.  Most of the listings are based on 3-5 reviews.  When other panelists see them, their reputation is either cemented or knocked down to being realistic.

NCR is very good, but it is no match for Crystal Downs, nor for most of the other courses among the top 100 in the world.  I think you could argue the case for it being in the top 100 in America, but it's very competitive, and getting more competitive every year.

Mark Manuel

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 04:19:56 PM »
Tom,

I appreciate the note.  I am headed to Crystal Downs this coming Tuesday.  Really looking forward to it and comparing it to NCR South and Salem CC having played both in the last 4 weeks.  

One thing I know, there are a lot of great golf courses out there that don't get the recognition.  In some ways I feel sorry for them, in others I am glad to have the tee times available because they aren't in demand by folks who stick to the lists.

Sort of like wine in that regard.  People only want to drink the 95 rated Cabernets, the rest of us are happy with the leftovers.

Mark
The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 04:47:36 PM »
the top 100 in America, but it's very competitive, and getting more competitive every year.

I will ask again:

What is so special about the number 100?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:51:26 PM »
Dan:

100 itself is not so special of a number, but I don't think that as many people care what is the number 166 course in America.  That's one reason GOLFWEEK has the two separate lists instead of combining them.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:22:52 PM »
Dan,

Considering the fact that there are about 17-18000 courses in the US alone, being number 100 is pretty significant.

Ultimately, we're all like a bunch of wine snobs splitting hairs between the great, greater, and greatest, and we're all pretty fortunate to have so much spare recreational time to actually give a damn.

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
Ben

Thanks for actually answering my question!

Do you have any record of MeadowBrook ever being on a GM top 100 list at all?

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

scott_wood

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 03:25:01 PM »
accordingto my records, Meadow Brook appeared on the GOLF USA Top 100 list, in 1991 only, as # 81....

mark chalfant

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 07:09:52 PM »
Paul
Meadow Brook  is a  great driving course with  many,  many doglegs. Im pretty sure it was  usually  on Golf Digests top 100 U.S.A list  throughout the 1970s and 1980s. hope this helps.

scott_wood

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 08:52:11 PM »
Meadow Brook was indeed on the GD list from it's inception in 1969 until it fell off after being listed @ # 95 in 1989.........

David Lott

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 11:04:26 PM »
Dan,

Ultimately, we're all like a bunch of wine snobs splitting hairs between the great, greater, and greatest, and we're all pretty fortunate to have so much spare recreational time to actually give a damn.

Go easy on the truth serum, Mike. It could be addictive. Or worse, contagious.
David Lott

Paul Richards

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 09:03:30 AM »
Scott

I think you found the issue.

I don't have a Golf Magazine top 100 list from 1991 - the first one I have is from 1993.

Could you possibly email me a copy of that list or post it here?

Thank you!

Paul

Paul Richards

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 09:04:16 AM »
Scott

Also, was 1991 the first Golf Magazine list?

scott_wood

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 04:23:07 PM »
Paul, yes, 1991 was the first year for the Golf USA (not World) list...... im me your fax # and I"d be glad to send a copy from my records at the office tmw..cheers

Paul Richards

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »
Scott,

Thanks.

so whatever Golf Magazine lists you have prior to 1993 - World and US, would be most appreciated!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:45:12 PM by Paul Richards »

Paul Richards

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 04:44:58 PM »
scott

got the fax

it's perfect

thank you!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back